Plans for Our Basement Gym

We’re slowly starting to adjust to the “new normal” that COVID-19 has given us. As businesses reopen, I’m not as hesitant to go out – mask on, of course! – on any given day or time. However, after a lot of discussion between Ryan and I, we collectively agreed that there are some places we’re simply not comfortable going to right now or even in the long-term future.

Mainly, the gym.

The truth is I questioned our monthly gym membership fee long before coronavirus hit. Paying $60+ dollars/month seemed like a lot when I only was going to use one machine and the stretching area. Ryan wasn’t able to utilize the membership regularly because of his work schedule either. And, now in the middle of a global pandemic if I wasn’t hyper-aware of the germ-pool the gym already is … well, it just doesn’t seem like the place to be anymore!

So, we took the dive and invested in our own treadmill! Eek! To say I’m excited is an understatement. But, along with the treadmill purchase comes the semi-daunting task of transforming a corner of our unfinished basement into a functional and stylish at-home gym. Because I sure as heck don’t want to workout in a space that feels like a dark, dirty dungeon.

Plans for our basement gym

plans for our basement gym

Flooring and lighting are two important components for a home gym. To keep things budget-friendly, we’re going with interlocking foam squares for flooring and utility shop lights that will hang from the ceiling rafters.

After perusing Pinterest for a few days, it became abundantly clear that I want a clean, modern look for the space along with some bold accents. Once we give the walls a fresh coat of white paint, I’m most-excited to paint an accent wall using Jessica’s tutorial. Along with wall mirrors, a bold motivational poster and some faux greenery I think this space will look and feel more like a fitness studio opposed to a basement!

Those are the basic plans for our basement gym right now. I can’t wait to get started!

If you have an at-home gym or work out at home, what are your equipment must-haves?

Duh, of course I also need to refresh my workout wear!

1. Ashley wrote:

Very exciting! I think a fake plant is a great idea to liven up the basement!

Posted 6.19.20 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

You can never go wrong with a faux plant!

Posted 6.19.20 Reply
  2. Joanne wrote:

I have just found your blog via Biana’s – I am looking forward to catching up on some of your old posts but this immediately caught my eye. We were just discussing turning part of our garage into a gym of sorts, with a running machine – please do post on which one you pick and why. I am already planning ahead to winter and would much rather be inside running than out in the hideous wind, rain, hali etc we’ll have here (mixed in with sea spray)! Joanne (England)

Posted 6.17.20 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

How fun! We purchased a NordicTrack treadmill – I’m loving it so far!

Posted 6.19.20 Reply
  3. Nadine wrote:

I haven’t had a gym membership in years. I was always grossed out going to the gym when I lived in Atlanta. We have a treadmill and free weights at home, and I do a lot of youtube workouts. It saves money and time, and I never have an excuse to not go since I dont have to travel anywhere. Love your inspiration.

Posted 6.15.20 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

That’s great! I got into YouTube workouts during quarantine, and I think they’re a great addition to my treadmill runs. It does save a lot of money and time!

Posted 6.19.20 Reply

Once he realized hockey would probably be cancelled for the foreseeable future my husband panic bought a fully body rowing machine since he hates running 😆 this is inspiring me to do up a corner in my unfinished basement because working out down there feels so unappealing to me right now!

Posted 6.15.20 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

Haha good for him! We’re all definitely having to adapt to this new normal.

Posted 6.19.20 Reply
  5. Kay R.D. wrote:

Ahh this must be so exciting. I wish we had space for a gym. We currently don’t but hopefully in the future.

Posted 6.15.20 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

We’re definitely fortunate to have the space, even if it is an unfinished basement!

Posted 6.19.20 Reply
  6. Debbie wrote:

Good for you keeping those workouts going! And you’re creating a really nice space to do it in!

Posted 6.15.20 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

It has been a fun project!

Posted 6.19.20 Reply
  7. Biana wrote:

G & I were talking about the same thing yesterday – I have already cancelled my gym membership and not planning on going back for a very long time!! I wish we had a cardio machine – or the space for it LOL! xo, Biana BlovedBoston

Posted 6.15.20 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

I’m sure we aren’t the only people that feel that way and have cancelled gym memberships – I just can’t imagine going to a place with that many germs anytime soon!

Posted 6.19.20 Reply