10 Things I Loved in April | What I Ate, Bought & Watched

We’ve made it through another month of quarantine! What do you think – is May going to be the month that we’re able to get back to a new normal? I’m keeping my fingers crossed. As usual, I’m popping in today to share the 10 things I loved in April! From what I cooked to my favorite purchases and all the T.V. that we indulged in, there were quite a few things to enjoy about last month. Let’s get right to it!

10 things i loved in april 2020

What I cooked & baked

One of the few things I’ve enjoyed during quarantine is the time and motivation to try new recipes! A couple of our recent favorite dinner meals were Chicken Parmesan from Magnolia Table vol. 2 and Cara’s oven-baked lemon pepper chicken thighs. Both were easy prep and made for great leftovers!

I’ve also been doing a fair amount of baking, which is such a change since I typically only bake around the holidays. The Silos Cookies from Magnolia Table vol. 2 are UNBELIEVABLE. Ryan said they might be the best cookies he’s ever had!

My favorite purchases

Just like last month, any purchases I’m making these days are primarily self care-focused.

The Bliss Vitamin C + Tri-Peptide Collagen Protecting & Brightening Serum is so, so good! I’ve noticed a visible difference in the tone and texture since adding this to my skin care routine. My face has that healthy “glow,” which makes for a great base on the rare occasion I put makeup on these days. And, no breakouts! Here’s more recent beauty finds and favorites!

I finally jumped on the Olaplex shampoo, conditioner and No. 3 treatment train. Dare I say this system is life-changing? Yes, yes I do. The difference in my hair after just a few weeks is insane, and I don’t think I’ll ever go back to anything else!

The best of streaming

We watched A LOT of T.V. this past month. Like, a lot a lot (totally saying that in a Lindsay Lohan British accent circa The Parent Trap when she’s talking about Cuppy πŸ˜‰ ). That honestly is pretty out of character for both me and Ryan, but I think quarantine emotions got the best of us, and we wanted to check out for a bit. No easier way to do so than a good movie or binge session!

For movies, we enjoyed Pixar’s Onward (Disney+) – it was cute with a good message, as you would expect. Tom Holland and Chris Pratt were made to voice animated characters! For something more adult, we laughed for nearly 90 minutes straight through Love, Wedding, Repeat (Netflix). It was hysterical! Especially if you love offbeat British humor. It has a slight Woody Allen vibe and edge to it, which is a-okay by me.

Show-wise, I flew through Little Fires Everywhere (Hulu). Am I behind the times on that one? Probably. Regardless, it was ridiculously over-the-top, but it kept me hooked and entertained from start to finish. We also tore through Waco (Netflix). How is it possible to be on edge about what’s coming next when you already know how it played out in real life?! That’s how I felt through all six episodes. Tim Riggins as David Koresh is a must-watch.

What I’m looking forward to in May: Hopefully getting reacquainted with the real world!

What were some of your loves from last month?

Need to get caught up? Here’s what you missed around here throughout April:

A Message from Finn
3 Things I’m Loving in Self-Isolation
Cooler Weather Outdoor Running Essentials from Amazon
What I Read in March + Reviews
The Small Things That Spark Joy – Quarantine Edition!
What’s in My Target Drive-Up Cart
Toning My Hair at Home Using Kristin Ess Signature Hair Gloss

1. Nadine wrote:

That Bliss Vitamin C sounds lovely! I am obsessed with Olaplex. I started with #3 and now I have the whole line. Definitely worth it! I have been debating if I wanted to get the Magnolia Cookbook or not. I might treat myself. I get most of my recipes off Pinterest anymore, but I am a die hard fan of physical cookbooks and have more than one person really needs. But still, love Joanna!

Posted 5.11.20 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

The cookbook is definitely worth it – I haven’t had a bad recipe yet!

Posted 5.12.20 Reply
  2. Lisa Autumn wrote:

Oh I loved this round up! Thank you! x

Lisa | lisaautumn.com

Posted 5.6.20 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

So glad you enjoyed it! xx

Posted 5.8.20 Reply
  3. Cara wrote:

So glad you enjoyed the chicken so much! We’ve been cooking/baking/trying new recipes like crazy over here too! I’ll definitely have to check out that cookbook. And Olaplex is totally life-changing. Once my hairdresser introduced me to it, I was hooked. Our state is starting to re-open in phases, but it’s still pretty bad in our region. I’m expecting it will probably be June before we can actually get out of the house fully again. Hope you guys can soon too!

Posted 5.5.20 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

We LOVED your chicken recipe – I can’t wait to make it again! I’m so glad that I finally gave Olaplex a try. My hair hasn’t felt this good in so long! Total game-changer. Hope all of you continue to stay safe and healthy! xx

Posted 5.5.20 Reply
  4. Brittany wrote:

We just finished episode two of Waco last night – I really knew nothing about the whole situation so we’re fascinated. My jaw literally dropped last night. I’m anxious to finish it! Also, did you read Little Fires Everywhere? I have yet to finish the series because I was a little disappointed in the translation from book to TV. But… the performances were fantastic from all the characters!

Brittany | http://www.pointed-north.com

Posted 5.5.20 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

Episode 3 of Waco is when it really starts to get real, so get ready! I haven’t read Little Fires Everywhere (surprisingly!). It seems like people either love/hate it, and based on my feelings on the show I feel like I’d hate it – ha!

Posted 5.5.20 Reply
  5. Jessica Camerata wrote:

I finished WACO so fast too, it was SO good. I hadn’t even heard of it so it was all news to me which made it that much better. Such a horrific ending. I may need to read one of the books on it next.

xo Jessica
    My Style Vita

Posted 5.4.20 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

Wasn’t it wild?! We were knowledgeable about it already, but it still had me on the edge of my seat. I definitely want to read the negotiator’s book about the whole experience.

Posted 5.5.20 Reply
  6. I’ve been loving the products from Bliss. I am planning to order more things from them soon. I love their makeup melter & eye gel.

Posted 5.4.20 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

Their eye gel is next on my list when I run out of my current stuff!

Posted 5.5.20 Reply
  7. sahra wrote:

loving these! I’ve been into self care too, and way too much binging. For may I’m trying to focus more on reading!

XO Sahra
    Que Sera Sahra

Posted 5.4.20 Reply
  8. Ashley wrote:

I love Olaplex! And Little Fires Everywhere was very entertaining.

Posted 5.4.20 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

Entertaining is a good word for it, lol. So happy I finally tried Olaplex.

Posted 5.5.20 Reply
  9. Biana wrote:

i loved little fires and I just started a new show on netflix about hollywood in the 20’s – really interesting right now! I have to try some of that hair care line!

Posted 5.4.20 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

I’ve been seeing that Hollywood show everywhere – might be my next binge!

Posted 5.5.20 Reply
  10. Debbie wrote:

I’ve been enjoying a lot of the same things as you! I think I might try that serum, my skin has been suffering from all the stress. I really want to make those cookies, they sound yummy! Cookies make everything better!

Posted 5.4.20 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

Yes, they definitely do!

Posted 5.5.20 Reply
  11. Kristy S. wrote:

Am I living under a rock??? I have never heard of that hair care line…but I am intrigued. I thought Waco was so good, very suspenseful and well-acted. I basically had anxiety throughout the last 2 episodes. Little Fires is the campy drama everyone needs right now, glad you enjoyed it! Also, I’m jealous that you can successfully bake, as I have a hard time not burning even pre-made cookie dough.

Posted 5.4.20 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

Haha, I know that you don’t like to bake, but you have to try those cookies. SO GOOD.

Posted 5.5.20 Reply
  12. Annaliese wrote:

I’ve been curious about Love, Wedding, Repeat- so glad to hear you loved it! πŸ™‚ I’ll have to give it a watch.

xoxo A

Posted 5.4.20 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

I highly recommend it – even my husband thought it was good and funny!

Posted 5.5.20 Reply