The Small Things That Spark Joy | Quarantine Edition!

How’s everybody doing? These last two weeks have been killer for me. You’d think after more than a month in self-isolation that I would be well-adjusted and getting on with life … NOPE. Emotions are flying higher (and lower) than ever. I’ll be relatively fine one minute, and the next I can be horribly crabby (sorry, Ry!) or sobbing my eyes out for really no reason. It’s strange to not have a full grasp on my emotions and the why/what/how on feeling the way I do, but maybe that’s just par for the course right now. Anyone else feeling like this?

While I fully admit that it’s been challenging to find any good in this messed-up situation, I’m doing my best to keep my attitude and spirits in check. Because being down in the dumps all the time isn’t good for anyone – especially me and my mental health!

small things that spark joy quarantine edition
sweatshirt (runs slightly oversized – wearing a M and could’ve done a S!) | joggers

To help get my positivity back on track, I thought I’d dust off and refresh an old post topic that I originally published before Thanksgiving last year (thanks to Jess for the idea!) – a list of the small things that spark joy in my life. And, for today’s post it’s going to be a quarantine edition! Because even in the hardest of times there’s a ridiculous amount to be thankful for and happy about, even something as silly as changing the part in my hair … more on that below. πŸ˜‰

The Small Things That Spark Joy – Quarantine Edition!

+ Training my hair to part in a new place and perfecting flat iron waves … I said this was about the small things, right? Can’t do anything about my washed out color and gray hairs, so these couple victories sure help!

+ At-home date nights with Ryan with either takeout or a homemade recipe that I’ve been wanting to try, wine, a puzzle and the record player on.

+ Video chatting with my family. It doesn’t replace being together in-person, but it certainly helps!

+ The magic that is Target drive-up. Scrolling through the app for the latest and greatest might be just as fun as roaming the aisles in person! Okay, not quite but let’s just keep telling ourselves that.

+ Being on top (and at times, ahead!) of laundry possibly for the first time ever in my adult life.

+ Watching John Krasinski’s Some Good News and ugly-crying through every episode.

+ Baking just for fun. I typically only bake around the holidays, and even then I usually follow the same few recipes. Some of this extra time has given me the opportunity to perfect my baking skills and try new recipes! Bonus for all the taste tests, too.

+ When a home decor project comes together exactly how I envisioned it.

+ Extra-long walks around the neighborhood with Finn. I will never, ever again take for granted being able to simply go outside and walk. Even if it’s cold, I have a hat, gloves and scarf for a reason.

+ Allowing myself to sleep in and/or take an afternoon nap if I feel like it … aka I’ve been taking a nap nearly every day around 4 p.m., and it’s GLORIOUS.

What are some small things bringing you joy during this time?

You might also want to check out how I’m managing quarantine life and tips for you, too!

1. cara wrote:

Love this! As sucky as this whole situation has been there’s been so many good things come out of it, and I’m choosing to celebrate that. More family time, embracing the small things in life, and allowing ourselves to relax and have fun a little more has been nice. And I totally want to see a tutorial of the flat iron waves! That’s the one thing I’ve never quite figured out, so would love to see how you do yours since your hair is always amazing looking!

Posted 5.5.20 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

I couldn’t agree more! I definitely have my moments where I’m upset/frustrated, but I’m doing my best to focus on the positives. And, noted about the flat iron waves! Maybe I’ll try to do an IGTV video!

Posted 5.5.20 Reply
  2. Kelsey wrote:

I love this! For me, it’s walking around the neighborhood!
    Xo, Kelsey

Posted 4.26.20 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

Daily walks are the best!

Posted 4.27.20 Reply
  3. Ashley wrote:

Yes! These are awesome wins! I think it’s important during this time to think about (and write down) the positives in life.

Posted 4.23.20 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

Absolutely, I couldn’t agree more! xx

Posted 4.27.20 Reply
  4. Lisa Autumn wrote:

Video chatting with my family and friends really saves me right now x

Lisa | lisaautumn.com

Posted 4.22.20 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

That’s great! Thank goodness for technology, right?

Posted 4.27.20 Reply
  5. Kristy S. wrote:

I love those joggers on you! I totally agree with never taking little things for granted, simple joys like a long walk outside (even with hat and gloves!) are not to be underestimated for their mood-lifting powers. Key elements getting me by during #quarantine: Fur babies, online shopping, keeping my body moving (walking from the couch to the fridge counts on Sundays), and remembering to breathe! πŸ™‚

Posted 4.21.20 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

These are all great! Even the smallest of wins can make a world of difference right now.

Posted 4.27.20 Reply
  6. Caroline wrote:

I have been feeling the exact same way. For some reason, Sundays seem to be my bad day. πŸ™ I also love Some Good News. I hope that he continues doing it forever! πŸ™‚ Have a good day and hang in there. <3

Posted 4.20.20 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

Sundays are tough, I agree. Hope you’re hanging in there! xx

Posted 4.27.20 Reply
  7. Alissa wrote:

I need to actually type up this blog post because I love how much it reframes your perspective and you can go back after a few years and reflect!

Posted 4.20.20 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

I hope that you do – I’d love to see your list!

Posted 4.27.20 Reply
  8. Biana wrote:

These are all so great!! I am right there with you in this range of emotions – I cry a few times a week and I think it’s so normal! I need to watch SGN with John K. I think what he did is just amazing for us! xo, Biana

Posted 4.20.20 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

I think crying on a regular basis is healthy right now, lol – have to get those emotions out somehow. Absolutely love what John K. has done for us!

Posted 4.27.20 Reply
  9. Debbie wrote:

All things considered, I think you’re doing pretty well! I’m grateful for many of the same things you are! Love our video chats!

Posted 4.20.20 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

I’m doing the best I can, I look forward to our video chats so much!

Posted 4.27.20 Reply