Coffee Chat No. 24 | Trying to Make the Best of Things

Hello, hello! Everybody hanging in there? I thought I’d pop in for a quick coffee chat today because, well – chatting is about the only thing I know how to do right now that feels safe! Ha!

coffee chat

For real, though – are we all doing okay? It’s okay to admit if you’re not because hi – my name is Karly, and I’m definitely not 100% okay.

I’m tired, mentally exhausted, scared/stressed/upset beyond belief. Even angry, especially when I see videos or pictures of large gatherings. What is so hard to understand about social distancing, people?! Don’t you care about the elderly, YOUR PARENTS?! Ugh. This is what it’s like to live in my head right now. 😉 I know deep down that we will get through this. When that will be, who knows. I’m even nervous that life-as-we-knew-it will forever be altered, even when everything calms down. Only time will tell.

To reiterate what I said in Monday’s post, let’s continue to take care of ourselves and others (and our pets!). We need to support one another, and lift each other up during these tough times. Even through all this mess, I’ve seen so much positive – Italians singing to each other from their balconies really got to me – so I know that we’re still capable of having an upbeat outlook. And, even though posting here is probably more for me/my sanity than yours, I do hope that maybe this space can be a small bright light during your day. So, let’s try to make the best of things!

A few happies & things:

+ The Chicago Shedd Aquarium took their penguins on a field trip – cue the cuteness.

+ My Therapist Says on Instagram is the humor and laughs we all need right about now.

+ Never question again how to style a denim jacket.

+ With the extra downtime at home, why not treat yourself to a DIY mani/pedi? These polish shades are gorgeous for spring!

+ Easy recipes with minimal ingredients.

+ Great tips on how to extend your first-day wash/blow dry because who cares about doing their hair on the regular right now?

+ If you find yourself in a slump, you might find my tips to spark creativity helpful! Now’s also a great time to catch up on reading – I have a lot of book recommendations!

Stay safe, happy and healthy, everybody!

1. love these tips! gotta check out the mytherapistsays!
    xoxo
    style frontier

Posted 3.25.20 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

That account definitely provides some humor throughout all this!

Posted 3.30.20 Reply
  2. Melissa wrote:

Love this! I feel like I’m on a rollercoaster. Up, down, everywhere in between haha it’s chaos – quite like the rest of the world. But we’ve got this! Those penguins on a field trip though. Oh em gee. Hang in there!

Posted 3.24.20 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

That’s the best way to put it! A chaotic roller coaster of emotions, lol. Love those penguins, though! Stay healthy and safe!

Posted 3.24.20 Reply
  3. Avalon wrote:

The penguins were so cute too! I saw that trending on twitter and won’t lie it was a bright spot in my day. I hope you and your family are staying safe and healthy during this time!

– Avalon from http://www.simplyavalon.com

Posted 3.23.20 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

The penguins are sure to make us all smile right now! Hope you’re healthy and safe!

Posted 3.24.20 Reply
  4. Kaitlyn wrote:

I’d say I’m 98% ok, but 100% worried about my family, my community, and how we’ll recover from this pandemic in the long run. All I care about right now is everyone’s health. We had a small family brunch at our house this week and I took extra precaution and had everyone take their temperature before entering our “safe zone”. I secretly panicked on the inside today when our 10-month old had a fever of 100.5. My first thought was, sh*% she has the virus. Second thought, ok maybe it’s just teething. Phew! It’s scary right now. So many people want to brush it off like, “Oh, it’s just the flu.” Yeah ok, well new data is emerging daily and I’m not putting any bets on the closed casino tables at the moment, so in my eyes, there’s no such thing as being “too careful”. I’m on the same train as you! Take care! <3

Posted 3.21.20 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

I’m sure that was so scary when your infant had a fever! I think we’re all on high-alert these days, especially with everyone’s health. Stay safe and healthy!

Posted 3.23.20 Reply
  5. Yes indeed we are living in trying times, it is almost to hard to fully absorb. And not sure why so many people do not understand the concept of social distancing. Really.

And I agree life as we know could very well change. We are in uncharted waters.

And you know there has been no panic buying in Italy. I look at Italy and wish the country I was in was like this. This morning I watched a WH press conference on YT live and people were commenting. About half of them were all praising Trump on and on about how great he is. And then the other half were complaining about him. Many were talking about religion, others were talking about conspiracy theories. Even in a a major crisis this country is divided.

Allie of

Posted 3.19.20 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

Absolutely, I do agree. We’re living in a very divided time and dealing with unchartered territory. Stay safe and healthy!

Posted 3.23.20 Reply
  6. Caroline wrote:

When Chris picked me up from work and we drove by a few bars on Saturday they were all REALLY packed. I was like really people?! On a brighter note, the Shedd Aquarium penguins are SO cute. I have been following them on Instagram too haha. I will also check out those recipes. Stay safe and healthy my friend! 🙂

Posted 3.18.20 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

I had no idea that you could follow them on Instagram – definitely doing that! Hope you’re staying home, safe and healthy!

Posted 3.23.20 Reply
  7. Debbie wrote:

This is a stressful time and we all need to be kind to ourselves and practice a lot of self-care. Looking for the little things that bring a smile (like those penguins!) are so important right now. Everyone stay well!

Posted 3.18.20 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

You got that right! Stay safe and healthy!

Posted 3.23.20 Reply
  8. Biana wrote:

I feel the same way and unsure if life will every really get back to normal after this is all done, but I hope it is. And maybe we all remember this and how lucky we are to even have the luxuries of home and internet even during this time! The penguins made my day! xo, Biana BlovedBoston

Posted 3.18.20 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

I’ve watched that penguins video more times than I can count – lol! And, you’re definitely right – we’re still lucky to have some everyday luxuries even from home!

Posted 3.23.20 Reply
  9. Lisa Autumn wrote:

It’s such a weird time right now and I am totally on board with your feelings and anger towards large social gatherings right now… Stay safe girl!

Lisa | lisaautumn.com

Posted 3.18.20 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

Hope you’re staying safe and healthy!

Posted 3.23.20 Reply