The end of 2019 feels a bit extra since we’re also bidding farewell to the last decade. And, what a decade it has been! From the highest of highs – college graduations, getting married, buying a home, adopting a dog – to the lower points – losing grandparents, growing apart from some friendships, turning 30 ( 😉 totally kidding) … there’s not a whole lot we haven’t experienced (yet there’s still so much living left to do!).
And, through all the opportunities, tears, successes, laughs and failures, I grew into the person that I am right now! For my last post of 2019, I thought it would be fun – and maybe a little insightful – to reflect back on what I’ve learned about myself in the past decade.
Top 10: what I’ve learned about myself in the past decade
1. I always will be 100% unapologetically myself.
2. Trust is not something I freely give, whether you’re new in my life or a seasoned-regular. Just like grudges aren’t my style, but I’m not quick to forgive.
3. I’m fiercely protective.
4. I never, ever ignore my gut instinct. Up to this point, it has never steered me wrong.
5. I take a lot of pride in my appearance. Not that I don’t ever leave the house without full hair and makeup done. It’s just a guarantee that if I feel like I look good, it’s going to be a good day.
6. Resilience is one of my greatest strengths. There’s not much that I can’t pick myself up from.
7. I LOVE to talk (seriously, it’s my favorite hobby), but I relish in the quiet times I have to myself.
8. I enjoy travel to an extent, but it’s not my favorite. I’m a little bit of a nervous flyer, and I don’t like to feel uncomfortable in my surroundings. There’s still a few destinations on my bucket list, but once we check those off I’d be happy to vacation in the same place for years to come.
9. With the exception of a couple people, I loathe talking on the phone. With an absolute passion. Text me, please.
10. In a world dominated by sharing everything, I’m perfectly content to keep most things private. I’d be a-okay if social media disappeared tomorrow.
2019 was a weird year. While there’s much to be grateful for and too many memories to reminisce on, there’s also been a lot of grief and sadness, growing pains, and an air of uncertainty about what the future holds. I’m not sad to see the year end. The blank slate that a new year brings is just beyond the horizon, and it looks better every day! I’m excited to see what 2020 brings for me and Ryan, and I’m optimistic that the next decade will be just as good (if not better!) than the last.
On that note,
I want to end this post as I do every post at the end of the year – THANK YOU! Even though I say it every year, it’s never any less true. It means the world that you choose to spend a few minutes with me a couple times a week through this space, and I love connecting with so many of you through shared experiences and favorite things. Never in a million years did I think I’d still be blogging nearly seven years after I started, especially with how this world has changed and continues to evolve, so seriously thanks for keeping me in the loop.
I’m taking off now through the beginning of January, so from us to you – Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!