This post has been in my drafts for months now! It kept getting pushed to the side, but with Thanksgiving upon us I thought the topic was perfect for this week.
We often recognize and reflect on the big things that we’re thankful for and that make us happy, but what about the everyday, little in between things? Those moments or simple gestures that make an impact on us without even realizing it? The small things that spark joy in my life are what get me through most days, so they definitely deserve a little love!
I got this idea from Jess @ My Style Vita and loved her post so much. Um, princess parking?! Seriously one of the most genius terms I’ve ever heard.
And, it’s things like that that this topic is all about. The smallest, sometimes what we think is meaningless, things that make us smile. Or turn the shittiest day around. Here’s what I came up with for my own list!
10 Small Things That Spark Joy in My Life
1. Coming home to the happiest dog in the world, whether I’ve been gone five minutes or five hours.
2. When it’s hair salon day! Few things make me feel better than a fresh cut and color.
3. Finding my favorite guilty pleasure movie on T.V. I have so many, but lately my #1 is It’s Complicated with Meryl Streep and Alec Baldwin. What’s yours?
4. Receiving snail mail from family or friends just because.
5. When I come downstairs in the morning to find that Ryan has emptied the dishwasher from running it the night before.
6. Napping during Sunday football because nothing puts me to sleep faster and harder than football. Ha!
7. Cooking a new recipe and having it turn out/taste WAY better than I expected.
8. Ryan holding my hand while he’s driving. He’s done this for as long as I can remember! It’s the sweetest gesture that I never tire of.
9. When music shuffle is nailing it, and I don’t have to skip any songs.
10. Having a flawless makeup day. These products have been ensuring that happens more times than not lately!
I’d argue that the small things that spark joy in my life change throughout the year or even seasonally (looking at you, football naps!), but most of these are what get me by when all else fails. Just goes to show not to forget to look for and appreciate all the small things that add up throughout your days!
On that note, I’m taking off the rest of the week to enjoy a little downtime for the holiday. If you celebrate, I hope that you have a fantastic Thanksgiving! I’ll see you in December. 🙂
What are the small things that spark joy in your life? Do we share any of the same ones?
You might also enjoy 9 quirky things you probably don’t know about me!