A Reminder That Less Can Be More

It’s only Nov. 13, but there’s no denying that the holiday season is here. IN FULL FORCE. The stores are crazy busy with holiday shoppers. Gift guides are a plenty. My inbox is full of daily sales and deals that are too good to pass up. Pinterest and Instagram are loaded with picture-perfect homes full of holiday decor, fresh-baked cookies coming out of the oven daily, families in matching pajamas … you know, everything Christmas stands for these days! ๐Ÿ˜‰

And, hey – I’m not one to judge or to tell you how to celebrate the season. Whatever makes you happy, you do you! But, for me personally and anyone else that needs to hear it:

I’m putting out a reminder that less can be more.

A Reminder That Less Can Be More - Holidays 2019

It seems too much too soon, right? Anyone else? Maybe it’s because Thanksgiving is so late this year that I feel like I need to “rush” in order to enjoy the already-too-short holiday season. Maybe it’s because everyone shares everything these days, so I feel pressure to be on-par with everyone else. Regardless of the reason, I’m saying that it has unnecessarily been a lot lately.

I wanted to write and share about this for a couple weeks now – ever since I myself started to decorate our home for Christmas. This is something that I had been looking forward to for weeks! One by one, Ryan helped me pull everything up from the basement so I could get to work. And, just like that my excitement literally vanished in the blink of an eye. Instead of having fun with decorating, I was stressed and being ridiculously hard on myself for everything that apparently was missing.

“I want more kitchen decor!”

“We need a flocked pencil tree for our bedroom!”

“I don’t have as much decor as I thought – let’s go shopping to buy MORE!”

Those are just a few generalized statements that have left my mouth recently. Kind of ridiculous? Yes. Was I playing the comparison game and trying to live up to some unrealistic Pinterest-inspired reality? Absolutely.

Finally, just the other day I told myself enough! Do I want to have an Instagram-show home where nothing is allowed to be moved or touched? Nah. I’ll take my Christmas village and childhood ornaments over that any day! News flash: more doesn’t equal happiness or extra magical Christmas cheer.

The point is, I think it’s easy to get wrapped up in all the excess this time of year. Walking into HomeGoods is basically a recipe for buy everything and cover every square inch of your living space in stuff! I’m plenty guilty of coming home with items that I don’t even particularly like, but I feel like I have to have just in case. And, that’s why Ryan calls me a professional returner. Or, with gift guides being published left and right, it seems like no big deal to blow your budget for presents because everyone has to have all the things or we’ll be missing out on something. Guess what? We won’t.

So, like I said at the beginning of this post – for anyone that needs to hear it, this is a reminder that less can be more. No matter the situation or circumstance. Would you rather stay in and watch Christmas movies instead of heading to that big holiday party? That’s okay. Only feel like putting up a few decor touches (or none at all)? Great. Would you rather simply exchange a heartfelt card and/or a homemade gift with your significant other and trade-in gifts for quality time? Even better! Those are the things, times and memories that you’ll carry with you long after the holiday is over.

If you sometimes fall victim to the comparison game, consider deleting your Facebook news feed.

1. Caroline wrote:

YES to all of this!!! I usually just put up my Christmas candle and the snow globe that my mother-in-law gave me. Thank you for sharing and have a great day!

Posted 11.13.19 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

That’s great, I love it!

Posted 11.14.19 Reply
  2. Brittany wrote:

This post is EVERYTHING! I have been feeling that stress this year, too. I feel like it keeps getting earlier every year & the excess seems so crazy. The season goes so fast regardless, so we all need to slow down & enjoy instead of looking for more, more, more. That being said, your house always looks so cute for the holidays! You can officially avoid HomeGoods ๐Ÿ™‚

Brittany | http://www.pointed-north.com

Posted 11.13.19 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

Awe, you’re so sweet! I’m sure you’re feeling extra anxious this year with your little one’s arrival so soon! But, you’re totally right – this season should be about enjoying everything instead of always looking for the next best thing.

Posted 11.14.19 Reply
  3. Debbie wrote:

Very well said, I can learn a thing or two about this myself(as you know!) It’s so easy to get caught up in all the crazy this time of year and before you know it, it’s over. I say surround yourself with the people and things you love and give yourself permission not to be perfect!

Posted 11.13.19 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

Absolutely, that’s the best way to put it!

Posted 11.14.19 Reply
  4. Kristy wrote:

I love this post. I too have been feeling so much pressure to over-purchase, and itโ€™s easy to do with all the emails and promos. However, I have found it so much less stressful to decrease the amount of decor I put up for the holidays! Yes, I have my standard touches here and there, and I always want my twinkling lights set up by the fireplace mantel, but there really is no need to go overboard! Our tiny Christmas tree that Iโ€™ve had for literally 15 years and purchased at Target (or was it Wal-Mart? I canโ€™t remember!) is perfectly suitable for our little family; no, I donโ€™t need an extra tree in the dining room, despite how HomeGoods or Target tempts me! I also love the idea of less is more with our significant other; exchanging a meaningful card and/or homemade, heartfelt gift is equally if not more special than loading up on gifts (some of which might not even get used, might I add…but thereโ€™s always that pressure to buy more!). Also, I wish I was a Professional Returner LOL!

Posted 11.13.19 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

I’ll teach you my professional returner ways, ha! Your house always looks perfect for winter/holidays – I wouldn’t change a thing. Simple is better!

Posted 11.14.19 Reply
  5. Anita wrote:

I agree with this 100%. I unfollowed so many people and stores on Instagram because I easily get caught up in what my house should look like and clicking on links to shop for stuff I think I have to have but donโ€™t really even want.

Posted 11.13.19 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

Good for you! There’s nothing wrong with unfollowing accounts/people that don’t bring you any happiness.

Posted 11.14.19 Reply
  6. Biana wrote:

So very well put girl! My house is never going to be that IG show home and I’m perfectly fine with that! We’re putting up our tree the week before thanksgiving this year, because like you said it’s so late and I enjoy the lights for a month and that’s it LOL! xo, Biana –BlovedBoston

Posted 11.13.19 Reply