The Simple Change I Made on Facebook to Help My Mental Health

Ah, social media. The third-wheel in every single life situation that we love to hate and hate to love. To be honest, I don’t consider myself a good blogger these days because of my adverse feelings and attitude toward social media (Twitter being the exception). Friendships have been bruised (some, ruined) because of social media. And, while I don’t generally consider myself an envious person, I’ve recently fallen prey to the comparison game. It’s an unpleasant and rather ugly place to be. Especially when some of those feelings are caused by people that hold minimal to no significance in my life.

How to Customize/Delete Facebook News Feed

So, just like I’m good at doing in other areas of my life it’s time to Marie Kondo my social media presence. Meaning if someone or something doesn’t spark joy in the digital world, it’s gone. Starting with the granddaddy of them all: Facebook. Since deleting my account altogether is not an option right now, I made one simple change last week that immediately lifted a weight from my shoulders.

I unfollowed everyone. My news feed is gone.

That’s right! With the exception of some news outlets (Facebook is still the easiest way for me to get daily headlines) and a few select bloggers, my news feed is non-existent. Not even family and close friends! Guess we’ll just have to go the OG route with texts/calls/emails when anything important happens. Sorry, not sorry!

There was an immediate shift in my mood when I figured out this trick. Ryan was right there with me, and he even commented that I seemed pretty happy with this development. I was, and still am! There’s something to be said about solely worrying about yourself and your everyday actions, not “wondering” what others are up to and if you measure up.

I’m just at a point in my life where my perspective has shifted about what I feel the need/want to and not to share. And, I’m not passing judgment on others that choose differently than me – you do you! I’m truly happy for everyone and anyone that really is as happy as they portray on their social feeds (even though that’s not usually the case). Just at this point in time when it’s affecting my mental health and overall daily mood, I have to remove myself from the source of unhappiness.

How to customize or delete your Facebook feed

It’s possible that I’m behind on the times on this trick, but I feel like it’s worth sharing if you’re in the same boat. Super easy and takes less than five minutes!

+ In your profile, go to Settings & Privacy.

+ Select Settings.

+ Scroll down to News Feed Settings, then select News Feed Preferences.

+ On the News Feed Preferences landing page, select Unfollow People to Hide Their Posts.

+ Select every person and page that you want to unfollow. Use the Filter feature to sort by Friends, Pages and Groups to make it easier.

Boom, you’re done! It’s just that easy. If you choose to still follow some people/pages and you want to take it a step further, also check out the Prioritize feature on the News Feed Preferences landing page. Here is where you can specify the order in which you want to see content – for example, my news feed now shows CNN updates first, then entertainment news, etc.

Also, if you change your mind at anytime, go back to the News feed Preferences landing page and simply select Reconnect With People You Unfollowed to have people/pages reappear on your timeline.

You might enjoy other personal posts here!

1. Biana wrote:

I honestly never thought to do this, especially when the same people show up on my feed- thanks for sharing this tip!! Going to try it out! xo,Biana –BlovedBoston

Posted 7.29.19 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

No problem! It really is a helpful trick for whatever you want to use it for!

Posted 7.30.19 Reply
  2. Brittany wrote:

What! I had no idea this was even possible! I have been making a conscious effort of “unfriending” anyone who pops up on my feed who I have no interest in lately. But now of course I keep seeing more and more other things I don’t care about. I am DOING THIS. Or at least unfollowing 90% of people. I mainly go to Facebook for Buzzfeed & news anyway. Good for you & thanks for sharing!

Brittany | http://www.pointed-north.com

Posted 7.29.19 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

Oh, good! I totally thought I was the last person that knew about this, lol. I hope that you find it as helpful as I have!

Posted 7.30.19 Reply
  3. Riz wrote:

Great tip!! Never thought of doing it this way, but what I did months ago was delete the Facebook app from my phone so I don’t have it on easy-access. I stopped checking Facebook obsessively since then and I only go in when I have to do business-related things. You’re right in saying that it really does make us feel a lot happier and lighter when we don’t see what everyone is saying/doing out there! The triggers are definitely less, and the truth is we’re not really missing out on anything!

Posted 7.29.19 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

Oh my gosh, that is such a great idea, too! I might just have to take it a step further and delete the app as well. You’re right – we’re not missing out on anything!

Posted 7.30.19 Reply
  4. Cara wrote:

Good for you girl! I recently had to do an unfollow purge of FB pages, bloggers, and even acquaintances for the same reason. It can be exhausting and daunting sometimes having a news feed full of negativity and noise, and I think it’s great when you can make that realization and do something about it.

Posted 7.29.19 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

Absolutely! I’m glad that I was able to recognize what was making me feel less-than lately, and this was a good place to start.

Posted 7.30.19 Reply
  5. Jessica Camerata wrote:

I have had this post drafted for MONTHS I’m so glad you did this! I unfollowed EVERYONE and it was life changing. Was so sick of seeing everyone’s political noise, life updates that I didn’t even understand and more. I also didn’t recognize 90% of my newsfeed between new last names and people just changing over time. It’s done wonders to my mental health AND my productivity. No more aimless scrolling!

xo Jessica
    My Style Vita

Posted 7.29.19 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

YES, girl! I remember when you shared that you did this months ago, and then I totally forgot about it until recently. I’m so glad I finally joined you in the Facebook unfollow – it is so ridiculously freeing, both mentally and productivity-wise! And, thanks for the share yesterday! xo

Posted 7.30.19 Reply
  6. Kristy wrote:

Getting rid of my Facebook account in 2015 was the single most healthy thing I have done for myself in years…and I haven’t missed it! Good for you!

Posted 7.29.19 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

Thanks, sissy! xo

Posted 7.30.19 Reply
  7. Debbie wrote:

Good for you Karly! Why keep something in your life that brings unhappiness when you have a choice?

Posted 7.29.19 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

That is very true, and it has been a good step in the right direction!

Posted 7.30.19 Reply