Coffee Chat No. 18 | Life Update & Links

There’s been a lot on my mind the last couple weeks, so I thought it high time to sit down and share.

coffee chat

On Sunday, March 10 my Grandma Bette passed away. The second death in our family in three months, my second loss of a grandparent. My grandma was 95, only four days away from turning 96 on March 14. So, sure – she lived a long life; however, in some ways that has made her death even harder. She was here for so long that it’s hard to imagine a life without her in it.

My grandma was one of my very favorite people. I was lucky to have her close by my entire life, which allowed me to spend a ridiculous amount of time with her. It makes me laugh now that it was a big treat to sleepover at grandma’s apartment because that meant sleeping on an air mattress and getting to eat a frozen pizza and her infamous mozzarella cheesy bread for dinner. She made sure to teach me how to make her Spanish rice before I left for college – one of my absolute favorite meals – and I also was fortunate to spend an entire summer with her doing odd jobs around her apartment, taking her to the store, and generally just spending time together. Like most 20-year-olds, I didn’t realize how much I’d appreciate that time as I do now.

I’m forever grateful to Ryan for being the husband he is by insisting we make the two and a half hour drive down late Friday night to be close by. Those final days and moments with my family were both incredibly hard but also a blessing. My grandma wasn’t overly responsive, but the gentle attempts to squeeze my hand and the small smile she gave Ryan when he told her he would always take care of me reassured me that she could hear us.

While it doesn’t 100% feel like it right now, I know that my grandma is still around watching over me in some way. I will forever miss her and hope that I can make her proud. Her and my grandpa were known to have at it with each other (in a joking manner, of course), so for now I take comfort knowing that they’re somewhere picking up right where they left off.

And, on that note I’m a mess so let’s jump right into some lighter content! Here’s a few links and reads that I’ve enjoyed recently:

// 6 life lessons we can learn from the one and only, RBG.

// I’m still obsessed with this little girl dancing – THOSE FACES! She’s so into it, and I love it. I watch this video anytime I need to smile (so lately, a lot).

// The perfect anytime, anywhere eye shadow palette.

// Did you know that Target released a new intimates line? Let me tell you, I’m shook. For only $14.99, this bra might be the best I’ve ever worn.

// We made this honey mustard chicken bake last weekend, and it was delicious!

// Don’t forget to take a peek into my current Amazon shopping cart. πŸ˜‰

Depending on how the weekend goes – my grandma’s service is Friday – I may or may not be around here Monday. So, I’ll just sign off and say I’ll see you sometime next week. Hope everyone has a good one!

1. Lauren wrote:

So sorry to hear about your grandma!

xx
    Stella Cadente

Posted 3.26.19 Reply
  2. Samantha wrote:

Cute post and love the eyeshadow palette you picked out!

Posted 3.25.19 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

It’s a good one. πŸ™‚

Posted 3.25.19 Reply
  3. A wrote:

so very sorry for your loss. I was also close to my grandparents, losing them is not easy! It sounds like you have wonderful memories of her which I hope bring you comfort.

Posted 3.21.19 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

Thank you so much for your kind words – yes, I’m so grateful for all the time/years/memories I did have with her. xx

Posted 3.25.19 Reply
  4. cara wrote:

First off, I’m so sorry for your loss! This made me get so emotional, because I too was insanely close to my grandma. Although she passed away over 6 years ago, I still miss her and think of her daily. But as you said, it really does make you cherish all the moments you have with them that much more. Thinking of you and praying for your family during this difficult time.

Posted 3.20.19 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

Thank you, Cara! I’m sure you can only imagine how emotional I was writing this post – couldn’t see past my tears at one point. πŸ™‚ Grandparents are so insanely special, so I do feel lucky for all the time I had with my grandma (as I’m sure you do, too!).

Posted 3.25.19 Reply
  5. Alissa wrote:

I’m so sorry for your loss. You know that I still grieve my grandmas even years later so I absolutely know that pain you are going through. You are in my thoughts!
    The Adored Life

Posted 3.20.19 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

Thank you, sweet friend – means the world! xx

Posted 3.25.19 Reply
  6. Brittany wrote:

I’m so sorry to hear this… it is SO hard to lose your grandma. Especially when you’re bless with quality time that you never realized was so special. I lost my grandma three years ago in April & felt so many of the same feelings you wrote about here. Take the time to grieve, but feel good knowing you spent good time with her. She’ll always be with you! Lots of love…

Brittany

Posted 3.20.19 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

Thank you so much, Brittany! Your words mean so much. Grandparents are such special people in our lives, so I am trying to focus on how lucky I was to have someone like my grandma in my life for so long. I know that I’ll be grieving her for a while and that there won’t be a time that I don’t miss her, but I do know that she’s with me still in some way. πŸ™‚

Posted 3.25.19 Reply
  7. Biana wrote:

Losing a family member is NEVER easy, but I know what it’s like having a grandparent in our life for such a long time and you feel so lucky that you’ve had them in your life for as long as you have!! I’m always on the hunt for a new palette- thanks for sharing it! xo, Biana

Posted 3.20.19 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

It’s so true! I’m missing my grandma everyday, but I know that she’s still around somewhere and that I’m incredibly lucky for the time that I did have with her. P.S. that palette is my new favorite, been using it everyday!

Posted 3.26.19 Reply
  8. Debbie wrote:

It is hard to imagine life without Grandma Bette in it, but she will always live on in our hearts. Watching that little girl dance always makes me smile too! RBG rocks!

Posted 3.20.19 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

There will never be anyone else like her, that’s for sure! We all miss her so much already, but I know that she’s still around. I hope that my future child is as cool as that little girl, lol!

Posted 3.25.19 Reply

• To my #foreverweddingdate: thanks for always standing by my side, letting me dress you up once in a while, and posing for pictures outside my childhood home like it’s high school graduation day. I love you so much. πŸ˜‚β€οΈ #marriedlife #fridayfeels
  • It has been 84 years since it stopped raining in Wisconsin, so it seemed necessary to document the occasion. πŸ’πŸΌβ€β™€οΈ #thursdayvibes #loveloft
  • #Bookworms, rejoice! This is our kinda day! πŸ“š On #WorldBookDay, I simply want to say thank you to all authors. Your characters, stories and words change my life daily, and I can’t imagine a life without them. Happy reading to all! #bookstagram
  • β€œIt’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.” Alice, Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
β€’β€’β€’
β€’β€’β€’
  • Catalina Island is nothing short of enchanting. β˜€οΈ #catalinacasino #vacationmode #frommyview
  • California vacation part one: β˜‘οΈ. Thanks for the magic, memories and OG nostalgia Disneyland! #adultsatdisney #toontown #wallsofdisney