At-Home Dressing Room Diary: American Eagle

It’s time (again!) for another at-home dressing room diary. Did anyone else feel like Valentine’s/President’s Day sales rivaled Black Friday?! Some of the clothing deals were too good to pass up. For this round, I’m sharing what I found at American Eagle. I swear by AE denim, and I am occasionally able to find some cute tops as well. This order was placed with our upcoming California trip – we’re going in April! – in mind, and warmer weather in general.

For reference, I’m 5’7″ and 143-145 pounds. From AE, I typically waver between a small and medium for tops and a size 4 for pants/bottoms.

Long Sleeve Stripe Button Down Top

Color: Blue | Size: S (also tried M) | Verdict: Returning it

I first saw this top on someone else via Instagram and fell in love. Look at those beautiful buttons! This top is why I placed an order at all, but unfortunately it didn’t work out. The material is so heavy – you almost could wear it open as a utility-type jacket/top. The cut also is very boxy, which works when tucked into high-waisted bottoms, but overall it’s not my favorite/flattering on me.

At-Home Dressing Room Diary American Eagle - striped button down top

Tomgirl Pant

Color: Softest Jade | Size: 4 REG | Verdict: Going to exchange for a smaller size

These pants are ridiculously comfortable! It has been a long, long time since I’ve worn anything other than skinny jeans/jeggings and now I’ve seen the light. Doesn’t hurt that Ryan also loves these. 😉 This is the exact color green that I’ve been looking for, too. These pants will be perfect for spring/summer with a pair of sneakers or sandals. I am, however, going to try a size down since my normal size 4 seems pretty generous plus stretch!

AE Tomgirl pant in softest jade

Embroidered Knit T-Shirt Dress

Size: L (also tried M) | Verdict: Returning it

I wanted to love this dress. There were visions of strolling along Catalina Island in this dress. But, sadly – nope. The medium gives a more flattering shape overall, but the large has better length. It actually would make a cute coverup for the beach/pool, but I personally wouldn’t feel comfortable wearing it on it’s own.

AE Embroidered Tshirt Dress

P.S. the dress isn’t dirty with white spots … that would be my mirror. Oops.

Ne(x)t Level High-Waisted Mini Skirt

Color: Dream Blue | Size: 4 (also tried 2) | Verdict: Returning it

A denim skirt is another thing I’ve long coveted. I mean, hello – those were my jam during my teenage years. I actually love the overall fit and look of this jean skirt; however, it’s just too short for my old-ass self. Maybe I should try it in a tall size? It also seemed to ride up every two seconds while walking, so maybe it just doesn’t work for me and my body type.

AE next level high-waisted denim mini skirt

Ahhmazingly Soft Colorblock Hoodie

Color: Blush | Size: M | Verdict: Undecided

The last thing I probably need is another sweatshirt, but given where I live I wear them year round! I thought the color combination of this one was so cute – I’m only undecided because I’m not sure the blush works on me. Otherwise, this sweatshirt is so soft and is a good in-between weight of warm enough. I might be able to size down to a small for a more fitted look, but I do like more room in sweatshirts so the medium still works.

AE coloblock hoodie in blush

Unfortunately a majority of my order is going back, but that’s just the way it works sometimes. I still think all of these styles are really cute for the upcoming warmer seasons, so I hope some of you will be able to order yourself something or get a little inspiration!

Have you found anything lately at AE? Any upcoming travels? Share with me in the comments!

Don’t forget my latest Loft dressing room diary!

1. I love all your AE finds!! SO cute friend!!

Posted 2.26.19 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

They have some super cute stuff right now, I wish more of it would’ve worked out for me!

Posted 3.1.19 Reply
  2. Brittany wrote:

I am loving those green pants!! So fun for when you’re bored with winter clothes & they’ll be perfect for spring! Also – I vote yes on the sweatshirt 🙂

Brittany | pointed-north.com

Posted 2.25.19 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

Right?! Honestly, anything other than classic denim skinnies/jeggings are so outside my comfort zone so I’m amazed that I love those pants as much as I do!

Posted 3.1.19 Reply
  3. Biana wrote:

I like the blush color on you – I think you should keep the sweatshirt!

Posted 2.25.19 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

Thanks for the help, girl!

Posted 3.1.19 Reply
  4. Alissa wrote:

Okay I haven’t been to AE since high school but the other day I saw them and I was like wait, this is cute?! You make it look even better Karly!

The Adored Life

Posted 2.25.19 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

Awe, thanks Alissa! Their styles have definitely changed in recent years – I worked there in college, and it was not the same back then!

Posted 3.1.19 Reply
  5. cara wrote:

Even though you’re returning a lot of it, it all still looks super cute on you! I actually really like the blush hoodie and those tom girl pants are soo cute. I’m a huge fan of boyfriend style jeans, so I love those. Quick question- What company did you go through for presets? I’ve been looking into them lately.

Posted 2.25.19 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

I was bummed that I returned practically everything, but finding those pants made the order worth it! I’ve been using the Light and Airy Photography Mobile presets – I found these girls through Instagram, and their filters are so easy to use!

Posted 3.1.19 Reply
  6. Debbie wrote:

You found lots of cute things that will be perfect for your trip!

Posted 2.25.19 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

I wish I would’ve kept more of it!

Posted 3.1.19 Reply
  7. Samantha wrote:

Love this brand! So many cute looks.

Posted 2.25.19 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

Definitely some gems from AE!

Posted 3.1.19 Reply