10 Ways to Celebrate Valentine’s Day On Your Own

Ah, Valentine’s Day. You either love (literally) or loathe tomorrow’s holiday. I’m somewhere in between. Yes, I’m lucky to have a husband to celebrate with, but we’ve really never put much emphasis on the holiday. Probably because my birthday is in two weeks, so I always try to cut Ryan some slack. 😉 That said, while not ignoring or discounting anything that Ry has (or will) do, I’ve started to adapt my perception of Valentine’s Day as a way to celebrate me! Because if you can’t love yourself then how are you supposed to give and show others that you love them? So I rounded up 10 ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day on your own – think of it as a form of self-love, if you will.

10 Ways to Celebrate Valentine's Day On Your Own

Do something that you’ve been putting off.

Sometimes, the best gift to yourself is time. And, what you do with that time can be entirely up to you! Finish the last few chapters of a book that’s been sitting on your nightstand for weeks, clean out the basement (aren’t we all about sparking joy right now?), get a jump on your taxes … whatever IT is, you’ll feel great that you set aside the time for yourself to finally get it done.

Volunteer.

Share your love/passions with others or to a cause that’s important to you. I guarantee it will make you feel good and benefit whoever you give your time and talents to.

Stay off social media.

Just a suggestion for those that struggle with the comparison game. Valentine’s Day is exactly what you do or don’t make of it. Seeing what everyone else is doing/staging in photos probably won’t help the cause. Otherwise, just see it as a gift to yourself to take a little break from the online social world. It’s great, trust me.

Schedule a group video chat with your closest friends.

Romantic love isn’t the only type of love to celebrate! Friendship is just as strong (and sometimes, more important!) so it should be celebrated. Catching up with friends – whether it’s in-person or over the phone – can go a long way toward showing those in your life that they matter and you care.

Get your fitness on.

I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t include fitness/hitting the gym in this type of roundup. Because on the day of love, you should give your body some love by keeping it in shape. It’ll thank you later.

Indulge in a solo spa day.

Everyone seems to be gearing up for late-winter vacations and spring break, so go get yourself ready from head-to-toe. Facial, nails, massage, hair – you name it. You even can do this at home to save a few bucks! This is what you’ll find me doing this weekend.

Have an at-home movie night.

Pour the wine, pop the popcorn, and turn on your favorite chick-flick (or binge-worthy show). What’s better than giggling to stupid jokes and swooning over your favorite leading man for a couple hours?

Treat yourself to something special.

I’m a big believer in not waiting around for someone else to buy you something that you’ve been coveting. Usually, it ends up being even more loved or favored because you picked it out and gifted yourself. Really, I’m just on a personal mission to forever carry out Tom Haverford’s and Donna’s #treatyoself. Feel free to join me.

Eat a few sweet treats.

Life’s short, eat the chocolate and cookies.

Enjoy a day of nothing.

Don’t want to catch up on your to-do list or treat yourself to anything out of the ordinary? That’s totally fine, and I get it. Just allow yourself to chill, and bask in the glory of doing absolutely nothing. Wasn’t there something in Eat Pray Love about that? If it’s good enough for her, then the rest of us can certainly follow suit.

How do/would you celebrate Valentine’s Day solo? Any other suggestions or ideas? Share with me in the comments!

You might also enjoy learning about the one thing I do every morning to start my day right, as well as tips to get out of a creative rut.

1. Amy Ann Arnold wrote:

This can be such a tricky day. These are all such good ideas. I actually just had a conversation with a friend today about staying off social media.

Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

Posted 2.14.19 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

I think depending on your mood/how you handle seeing what other people present to the social world this can be beneficial for sure.

Posted 2.15.19 Reply
  2. Kay R.D. wrote:

We are not big on Vday either so these are really awesome tips.

Posted 2.13.19 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

I think it’s a great day to show yourself some love, whether you have a significant other or not!

Posted 2.15.19 Reply
  3. Dara wrote:

This post made me smile! I don’t celebrate Valentine’s Day, but I love the idea of making it a day of self love. I love the ideas you gave on how to do just that!!

Posted 2.13.19 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

Awe, I’m so glad! I hope that you were able to do one (or a few!) of them. 🙂

Posted 2.15.19 Reply
  4. Brittany wrote:

Gosh, this is amazing! I’m all about self-love these days. I would totally hit up a spa or get a massage. Or avoiding social media. All good things! Happy early Valentine’s Day!

Brittany | pointed-north.com

Posted 2.13.19 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

I think it’s important for all of us to take some time for ourselves, no matter what that looks like! Hope you guys had a wonderful Valentine’s Day!

Posted 2.15.19 Reply
  5. Debbie wrote:

These are good ideas not just for Valentine’s Day but everyday! Happy “Gal-entines Day”!

Posted 2.13.19 Reply
  6. Biana wrote:

Solo spa day sounds like a perfect treat!! We don’t really do anything for v-day either. Gary’s birthday is 5 days after, then my birthday, then our anniversary so there’s always something to celebrate!

Posted 2.13.19 Reply
    • Karly wrote:

That is so fun! Even better to have so much to celebrate and look forward to.

Posted 2.15.19 Reply