Celebrating 5 Years of Marriage + 10 Years Together!

This first week of October is arguably my favorite week of the year because it marks mine and Ryan’s anniversaries! This year, we’re celebrating 5 years of marriage and 10 years together – where has the time gone?! Oct. 4 is our dating anniversary (yes, we still think this is worth celebrating!), and Oct. 5 is when we became husband and wife. We did a little Q&A to commemorate the occasion.

Celebrating 5 Years of Marriage + 10 Years Together

What’s the biggest difference in our relationship now vs. 10 years ago? Vs. 5 years ago when we tied the knot?

K: Gosh. Well for one, we’re not babies anymore! We fell in love when we were 19 years old, so maybe what’s changed the most in 10 years is that we’re not so naive anymore. Adulting is hard some days and takes a lot of work. As for what’s changed the most in the last five years, our communication skills/styles have evolved. We still have our moments, but we’re mostly able to keep our conversations and/or bickering productive.

R: I think the most important thing we’ve learned is how to handle each other’s emotions. We know when and how to handle certain things with humor to lighten the mood and also know (more importantly) when it is necessary to stay sensitive to the other’s emotions. Knowing when to do both of these can help us weather any storm that comes our way.

What’s the one thing you would change about our wedding day (if anything)?

K: I would’ve preferred to have mine and my bridesmaid’s hair done at home. We also could’ve shopped around a bit for different photographers, possibly had the option to have a second-shooter. I’d give anything for a picture of Ryan when he first saw me walk down the aisle. So, basically trivial stuff! Our wedding day is still picture-perfect in my mind and represented exactly who we were and our style at that time.

R: Looking back, I think the only thing I would change is … NOTHING. Maybe some small things like having an extra photographer, or I could have been a few inches taller. I also would have liked to been made aware of the deacon taking our rings for a swim during the ceremony. *Long story short, when the deacon blessed our rings at the baptismal fountain he basically dunked our rings in the water and we both thought he was going to drop them. We couldn’t stop laughing.

Most memorable moment in the last 10 years? Since we’ve been married?

K: There’s way too memories to sort through! Mine are since we’ve been married – adopting Finley and buying our first home. Oh, and all our trips to Disney since I finally converted Ryan to love it as much as me.

R: Besides our biggest milestone of joining our lives together on October the 5th, it would be our biggest life step of setting down roots and buying our first home … WHO AM I KIDDING?! It’s when we grew our family by adopting Finley!

Biggest pet peeve/annoyance about the other person?

K: Ryan is the loudest chewer. I either have to be eating at the same time as him, or I have to leave the room if he’s eating solo because I can’t take the sound.

R: Leaving gum wrappers in my car! Or tissues or cups or food wrappers (mostly Ritz Bitz cheese crackers)!

One piece of advice you’d give to our younger selves?

K: Don’t take everything so seriously! We don’t need to have it all figured out. Even though we’re really mature for our age, it’s also okay to act our age. And, don’t listen to comments from others – even some close third-parties. We know what we have is real. Duh, who’s having the last laugh 10 years later?

R: RELAX! We were so set on planning our next step in life. Enjoy the ride while life leads us to the places where we are meant to be.

Your favorite quality of the other person?

K: Ryan’s sense of humor (as evidenced by some of his answers in this post … 😉 ). There’s rarely a day that goes by that he doesn’t have me in tears from laughing so hard. That laughter and humor has gotten us through so much – both good and hard times. It’s something I pray never, ever fades.

R: Karly’s protective nature. It is a wonderful thing to know that while I am still the man of the household, she always has my back no matter what.

Song that reminds you most of the other person and/or our relationship?

K: I have to pick two! We Found Love by Rhianna because it always reminds me of when we were about to walk into our wedding reception. And, Springsteen by Eric Church because it’s one of our all-time favorites to sing in the car.

R: Probably Eminem and Rhianna Love the Way You Lie – just don’t listen to the words too closely (we just thoroughly enjoy attempting to rap it). But, more importantly our wedding song Marry Me from Pat Monahan feat. Martina McBride. It always brings me back to that day, seeing Karly walk down the isle and my heart melting when I saw her for the first time.

Where do you see us in another five years?

K: I hope that we’re blessed with a child, maybe even two. It’s so exciting to think about Ryan as a father, and I can’t wait for us to be parents. Maybe we’ll either be looking or already be in our new/forever home – most likely still in Wisconsin. And, obviously we’ll still be loving on Finn every second of every day. Above all else, I know that we’ll be happy – strong as individuals but even stronger as a couple. We’re already an incredible team, so I can only imagine what we’ll be like in a few more years.

R: I see us surrounded by a loving family enjoying the little things in life. More importantly I see us embraced by the people that truly matter and can enrich us with their love and support. And, in a home that is set back from the street a proper distance!

You might also enjoy our engagement story.

1. A wrote:

This was so fun! You guys seem like a great couple. Happy anniversary!

2. Caroline wrote:

This post is so sweet!!! Happy Anniversary to you both and I wish you many more years of love and happiness!! 🙂

Posted 1.28.19 Reply

Happy 5th Anniversary to you both! This was a fun and heartwarming read!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  4. oh my gosh we are 100% twins in every way 😉 KC is the loudest chewer as well, if i’m not eating I put on my noise app hahaha.
    happy 5 years! here’s to the next 5 and 10 and many many more!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • Yay twins! That’s so funny about KC – him and Ryan sound like they’d be two peas in a pod, too. 😉 Thanks, lady!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply

This was so sweet!! Happy happy 5 year anniversary – may the next 50 be just as sweet! xo, Biana –BlovedBoston

6. Brittany Steinkamp wrote:

I am in love with this post! It’s so fun to hear from Ryan and learn more about the two of you! Happy Anniversary – hope you had a great celebration!!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  7. Happy almost Anniversary! 5 years is a big milestone, and this was such a fun way to commemorate it! I love that y’all both chose Finley as the most memorable moment since getting married!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • Lol, we were laughing at each other because that probably was the most obvious answer to everyone on here and that knows us in real life. Still obsessed with that dog as much as the day we brought him home!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  8. awwwwww how sweet this is!!! I wish I could get Mark to do something like this. Happy Anniversary!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  9. Happy anniversary! I love this little Q&A as a post idea. I’m a big fan of October as well! My fiancé and I met on the 4th, went on our first date on the 12th, and we’ll be getting married next year on our 6 year first-date anniversary 🙂 Wishing you both a wonderful anniversary month, with plenty more to come.

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • Awe, so sweet! Enjoy this fun year of being engaged and wedding planning – it goes by so fast!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  10. Aw this is cute- I need to do this with my husband on our anniversary. Happy Anniversary to you both! You all are such a cute couple!

11. Kelsey Peacock wrote:

I love this Q&A idea! I love what Ryan said about relaxing and not always focusing on planning the next step.

Posted 1.28.19 Reply

• It has been 84 years since it stopped raining in Wisconsin, so it seemed necessary to document the occasion. 💁🏼‍♀️ #thursdayvibes #loveloft