Summer Reading Hits (So Far!)

Summer is arguably my favorite time of year to read. There’s usually more time to do so, and there’s A TON of new releases – most from authors that I already know and love. It’s hard to keep up with it all – especially when the hold list at the library is months-long – but I’m trying to snatch any new books where and when I can! June brought some stellar summer reading hits, so that’s what I’m sharing today.

Summer Reading Hits So Far

I’ve noticed lately that several of us have subscriptions to Kindle Unlimited, which makes sense since it’s kind of great. Anyway, I’m going to make an effort going forward to note if any of my books are from/available on K.U. so you can hop to it and not have to wait in line at the library.

Couldn’t Put ‘Em Down …

The Royal Delivery by Melanie SummersThe Royal Delivery (Crown Jewels Romance #3) by Melanie Summers (K.U.)
Arthur and Tessa’s love story concludes with double the surprise

How I didn’t know that there was a third and final book for one of my favorite series’ EVER is beyond me. I raved about the first two books last summer, and this was the perfect funny/cute/all-over-the-place ending to Tessa’s and Arthur’s love story. Don’t read too deep into it because obviously it’s horribly flawed, but I love this series so whatever.

Big Sexy Love by Kirsty Greenwood

Big Sexy Love by Kirsty Greenwood (K.U.)
Girl carries out best friend’s dying wish and embarks on a fun, hilarious adventure

Thank you, Kindle Unlimited algorithm for recommending this one to me based on other books that I’ve read. OMG THIS WAS THE CUTEST BOOK. I mean, seriously cute and laugh-out-loud funny. There probably wasn’t more than a few pages that I didn’t find myself cracking up at Olive’s one-liners and general antics. If you read this please tell me that you, too envision Colin Jost from SNL as Seth. Can’t wait to read more from this author!

The Kiss Quotient by Helen HoangThe Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang
Woman with Asperger’s hires an escort to teach her about relationships, and they form an unlikely bond

I knew the premise of this book going in, but it still surprised me a bit – talk about steamy! Beyond that, I thought that Hoang handled a sensitive subject with great care and humor. Stella was an interesting protagonist and pretty inspiring toward the end when she finally accepted that she was enough for herself and others. Her’s and Michael’s chemistry jumped off the pages, which is probably why I devoured this in less than 24 hours. I do wish there would’ve been more discussion about Michael’s past with his father since there was a lot of buildup to the “big secret” reveal, but ya know. It can’t be too perfect, I suppose. This is a must-read summer romance for sure!

Enjoyable Enough …

The Hardest Fall by Ella MaiseThe Hardest Fall by Ella Maise (K.U.)
Shy college girl with a secret and star football quarterback forced to become roommates

This was a cute, sexy read despite the fact that I hate football. Lucky for me, it really wasn’t a huge component in the story line. The story and writing reminded me of something that Staci Hart and Mariana Zapata would write together. So if you like the gist of that, then this will be an enjoyable one for you. Plus, it has an epilogue that’s super cute so you have that to look forward to.

The Great Alone by Kristin HannahThe Great Alone by Kristin Hannah
Family battles with father’s PTSD and moves to live off-the-grid in Alaska

I haven’t read a Hannah book since The Nightingale. That book pretty much changed my life (okay, dramatic, but it’s one of my favorites ever), so I was anxious to drown myself in another one of her stories. The writing was amazing, as you’d expect, but I fully admit that it took me a little while to get into this one. All the talk about the Alaskan landscape and off-the-grid lifestyle kind of lulled me to sleep … until shit got real with the family and then I was wide awake for the last half of the book. I wanted more from Leni’s and Matthew’s reunion at the end – it kind of wrapped up too perfectly in my opinion – but it was still so beautiful, thought-provoking and heartbreaking. It had been a while since a book made me cry several times.

Currently reading: When Life Gives You Lululemons by Lauren Weisberger

Another month without any skips! (#winning) I’d love to know what’s currently on your summer reading list!

Keep up with all my reading in the archives, on Instagram Highlights and on Goodreads.

Linking up for Show Us Your Books.

1. The Adored Life wrote:

I can’t wait to hear about Lululemons!!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  2. I loved The Great Alone so much.

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  3. I’m reading When Life Gives You Lululemons right now too and loving it!! I actually stopping reading The Great Alone (which killed me because, like you, The Nightingale was one of the best books I’ve read in my LIFE) but I just couldn’t get into it for the same reasons you gave! And I just don’t have the time/desire to be reading books I don’t love. I’m going to check out that Royal Baby book! It sounds so fun!!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • I loved Lululemons – such a good summer read! Hope you’re enjoying the Royal series so far. 🙂

Posted 1.28.19 Reply

Looks like some good reads, I’m going to try and read the new Elin Hilderbrand book but we’ll see!

5. Kay R. wrote:

I cant wait to read the Great Alone!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  6. I’ve heard the Great Alone is truly hit or miss for most people!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  7. Okay your major hits sound really good!

Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

8. Gina Daily wrote:

Oh I love that you’re noting the Kindle Unlimited selections! That’s very helpful so I’ll definitely be referencing this post again. I’m trying to keep track of mine for a future post and always love good suggestion for KU! Glad you mostly liked the Great Alone…Definitely one of my favorites this year.

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • Oh good! Thanks for the feedback, I’m glad that’s helpful. KU can be overwhelming if you don’t know what you’re looking for! Great Alone was a great read.

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  9. aw i don’t reckon the royal series is flawed! i loved the 1st, liked the 2nd and am hoping to get to the 3rd soon. added big sexy love after you recommended it on instagram, i think. i adored the kiss quotient like hardcore. i am so excited for the next one. i really liked the great alone, but it didn’t compare to the nightingale in my opinion.

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • Haha, you know what I meant by flawed – it’s just not going to win any writing awards, but it’s one of my fave series. Big Sexy Love was so hilarious and cute – I hope that you enjoy!

10. Pam O'Brien wrote:

Can’t wait to read the Kiss Quotient. I read The Great Alone. It was a good read but I struggled with the domestic abuse and that kind of spoiled it for me. Pam 🙂

11. Laura wrote:

I love to read in summer too! I can’t wait to hear your thoughts on When Life Gives You Lululemons, I’m on the waiting list right now for it at the library!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • I finished it earlier in the week – definitely an easy, summer read! Emily was always my favorite in Devil Wears Prada, so I enjoyed that the story followed her!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  12. I’m very much looking forward to the library finally coughing up The Great Alone.

13. Heather wrote:

Loved a lot of these books! I didn’t know there was a third in that series about Tessa and Arthur either. Need to get on that at some point! Loved The Kiss Quotient and The Great Alone 🙂 Big Sexy Love sounds adorable too!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • Yay we enjoyed some of the same books! Royal Delivery is worth it if you followed the rest of the series. And Big Sexy Love is so so cute.

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  14. These sound great! I love a good romance novel for my summer reads!

15. shootingstarsmag wrote:

I’m curious about The Kiss Quotient! People seem to really enjoy it. I’ve never read anything by Kristen Hannah but it sounds like you really enjoy her books – so that’s great!

-Lauren

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  16. These all sound great! Thanks for the recs!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply

Just downloaded big sexy love- I am so happy with Kindle Unlimited!! xo, Biana- BlovedBoston

18. Caroline wrote:

SO happy that you did this post! I feel like I have been waiting for it haha. Anyway!! Would you recommend reading the Nightingale instead of The Great Alone? I will add Big Sexy Love to my list. Love Colin Jost too! 🙂

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  19. I always love all of the cute summer reads that come out during this time of the year! The Kiss Quotient sounds like a really cute read! I’m adding it to my list!

20. Brittany Steinkamp wrote:

Awesome list! So impressed you have so many done! I always want to read more than I do… I’m currently enthralled in the Miss Peregrine’s trilogy & loving it. Then, onto Into The Water!