6.11.18 38

What I’ve Recently Read

Other than always proclaiming my excitement for the best day in the blog world – show us your books! – I never know how to introduce these posts. So, let’s not waste any time and jump right into what I’ve recently read.

What I've Recently Read

Couldn’t Put ‘Em Down …

I'll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamaraI’ll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman’s Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer by Michelle McNamara

Well, this gave me nightmares for a few nights and I might even still have bad dreams on occasion several weeks later … so, I’d say this was a solid read! 😉 But really, this was my first foray into the world of true crime books and it was incredible. Makes me sad that Michelle McNamara didn’t live to see the guy arrested and put behind bars. This was in no way graphic, if that’s not your thing – just kind of screws with your head.

Arrogant Devil by R.S. GreyArrogant Devil by R.S. Grey

I’m pretty much bias to any R.S. Grey book now because I’ve loved every single book of hers that I’ve read so far. So, this probably isn’t a fair review but it’s safe to say that her latest is one of my favorites yet. Loved the story line, the setting. The sassy grandma was the best.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie BarrowsThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

This instantly went to my top 10 favorite books EVER. I can’t get over how much I love this one, and I’m kind of itching to read it again. The whole story is written through letters, which to me made it way more personal and semi-relatable. I felt like I could put myself in any of the characters’ shoes based on the contents of the various letters. Sigh. It just makes my heart happy. Now, if only I lived overseas so I could see the movie already … hurry up, August when it’ll be on Netflix!

Enjoyable Enough …

The Coincidence of Coconut Cake by Amy ReichertThe Coincidence of Coconut Cake by Amy Reichert

I mostly enjoyed this one because of the Milwaukee setting! (If you’re new around here, I live about an hour north of there). I was familiar with most of the locations mentioned in the book, so it was easy to imagine the two of them experiencing everything the city has to offer. Lou got on my nerves several times with her poor-me, whiny attitude, and some of the other characters/story elements were kind of random, but it was still an enjoyable read. I’ll probably check out a couple other titles from this author.

The Allure of Julian Lefray by R.S. GreyThe Allure of Julian Lefray by R.S. Grey

Again, echoing what I said above, I love all and anything R.S. Grey. This was an easy, fast cute/sexy read. Really predictable and not a lot of depth, but it serves it’s purpose. Her stories will never fail to put a smile on your face and give you a few laughs.

The First Husband by Laura DaveThe First Husband by Laura Dave

What I enjoy most about Laura Dave books is that on the surface they seem kind of light and fluffy, but there’s actually quite a bit of heavy subject-matter that she handles in her own way. This one in particular really had me thinking as I turned each page, and I found myself thinking about it even a couple days after I finished it. And, without spoiling anything, can we get an amen that Annie got her dog back?!

Currently reading: The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah

No skips this month! There are a few other books that I read that I didn’t share because they’re romance, and I get the gist that’s not everyone’s thing. That said, you can keep up with what I’m reading on Goodreads and in my Instagram Highlights.

What books do you recommend for my summer reading list?

Here’s what I read last month.

Linking up for Show Us Your Books.

1. I’ll Be Gone in the Dark brings true crime writing to a new level. Michelle McNamara did an amazing job on her research and trying to bring this guy to justice and I love how Patton Oswalt and the rest of the guys are keeping her legacy going.

2. shootingstarsmag wrote:

Aw, I think you – and other bloggers – should share your romance reviews! It might not be the most popular, but I’m sure you’re not the only one who likes them. I know I read a ton of m/m romance and I still share some of that on these posts. 🙂 I really loved I’ll Be Gone in the Dark, but it does make me sad that Michelle passed before seeing an arrest made. I really want to read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society – I guess I have until August! 😉

-Lauren

Published 1.28.19
    • I do share any romance that I read that I think are worth mentioning – the ones I read last month were just meh so I didn’t bother!

3. Penny @ pennyspassion.blogspot wrote:

I love, love, loved The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society! Highly recommend this read to anyone looking for a book.

Published 1.28.19
  4. i never know how to introduce them either – like books, let’s talk about ’em!
    yay RS Grey! I will convert everyone mwahaha
    YAY GUERNSEY. omg so much love for that book. I am SO happy you enjoyed it. I re-read it earlier in the year and will probably re-read it right before the movie comes to Netflix. I CANNOT WAIT.
    I quite liked the coconut cake book – super cute.
    hope you like the great alone!

Published 1.28.19
    • Haha, you’re well on your way with your mission to convert everyone to R.S. Grey. Love her.
      Finished Great Alone last night, loved it.
      I’ll join you rereading Guernsey before it comes out in August!

Published 1.28.19
  5. LOL I never know how to introduce my book blog posts either! They are my favorite days too! haha The Guernsey… sounds great, I haven’t even heard of it so I will have to read it to my TBR!

Published 1.28.19
    • Definitely add that to your reading list, it is such a good book! Especially for book lovers. It’ll make your heart happy.

Published 1.28.19
  6. Arrogant Devil sounds great! I’ve never read any of the R.S. Grey books.

Published 1.28.19
    • Girl, jump on that bandwagon! Her books are so easy and quick reads. Great for summertime!

Published 1.28.19
  7. I’ll Be Gone in the Dark is currently sitting on my nightstand and I can’t wait to dive into it. I just added the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society to my TBR yesterday. I’d never heard of it before and it sounds so good.

8. Monica L wrote:

I really need the Guernsey to be ready from the library already! I have heard such good things. I also thought the Coincidence of Coconut was fun but not like a great book.

Published 1.28.19
    • Hope you get it from the library soon – such a great book! And, I’m with you – I liked Coconut mostly because it’s based where I live. It passed the time just fine.

Published 1.28.19
  9. I love the cover of The First Husband and have liked the other books by Laura Dave I’ve read so I need to check that one out! I hope you love The Great Alone- it was so good!

Published 1.28.19
    • It’s exactly what you would expect from her, especially if you’ve liked her other books. Just finished The Great Alone last night, so good!

Published 1.28.19
  10. I loved Guernsey so much.

Also really sad over here that Michelle did not live to see the capture of the GSK.

Loved The Great Alone, I hope you do too.

11. Heather wrote:

I loved Guernsey and I totally agree with you about R.S. Grey’s books. I know what I am getting when I start one of them and they pass the time so nicely for me when I want that kind of book. I hope you love The Great Alone!!!

Published 1.28.19
  12. These all sound like such interesting titles. Thanks for sharing!

Published 1.28.19
  13. Can’t wait to hear how you like The Great Alone!!

14. The Adored Life wrote:

OMG MICHELLE!!!!!!!!! That is the most amazing book and holy crap it was so well written I was SCARED! I am so sad that she didn’t to see what her work did. So, so sad.

The Adored Life

Published 1.28.19

So many books to read! I’m hoping to get to a couple of these over the summer, I’ll Be Gone in the Dark and The Great Alone – I’m glad to have you read them first and then tell me if they’re worthwhile!

Published 1.28.19
    • Well, I’m glad I was able to return one of those to you – I finished The Great Alone last night so you’ll have it back shortly. It was great!

Published 1.28.19

I just finished my first R.S. grey book and on to the next – love her writing! xo, Biana- BlovedBoston

Published 1.28.19
  17. We started listening to I’ll Be Gone In The Dark, but I fell asleep because I was so tired and the girls kind of fussed a little bit too. I definitely want to pick it back up though! And The First Husband sounds like such a cute read! I’ll definitely add that one to my list too!

Published 1.28.19
    • Definitely give I’ll Be Gone in the Dark a chance when you can! It’s really a fascinating story, even though it’s horribly disturbing (to me, at least). If you’ve liked other Laura Dave books then you’d probably enjoy The First Husband! Just want you’d expect from her as a writer.

18. Caroline wrote:

I have looked at book # 3 on Amazon a million times so thanks for sharing a review on it! I am reading the Alice Network right now and while it is pretty good I feel like its really long. I also kind of have mixed feelings about it right now. We’ll see how I feel when I’m done with it though! I also want to read I’ll Be Gone in the Dark. I also look forward to hearing your thoughts on The Great Alone because it seems to be really popular. Thanks again for sharing and I hope that you had a great weekend! 🙂

Published 1.28.19
    • I finished The Great Alone last night, and it’s definitely worth the hype!

• Gina Daily wrote:

I was in the minority of *not* loving Alice Network. It was good for me but not that great. Definitely liked Guernsey better than that one FWIW! 🙂
      -Gina

• Caroline wrote:

I just added that book to my Reading Wish List!! I also just finished the Alice Network yesterday. I agree with you that it was good but not great.