What I Read in February and March (and If You Should, Too!)

The first couple months of the year were a slow start to reading for me, so I’m glad to finally be back in my normal groove. With everything going on, getting lost in a story is still my favorite way to cope and escape for a little while! Let’s discuss what I read in February and March and if you should, too.

What I Read in February and March

Couldn’t Put ‘Em Down …

the vixen and the vet by katy regneryThe Vixen and the Vet by Katy Regnery

This was the perfect modern-take on Beauty & the Beast. Cute, sexy and romantic with the right amount of drama/sob story. I seriously loved it and devoured it in one night. Even better that proceeds from the book went to a charity to help disabled veterans (all books from this fairy tale give back to some charity, so that’s awesome!). Katy Regnery has been one of my favorites since Breaking Up With Barrett, so now I’m diving into her whole fairy tale series. Is the book/writing perfect? Absolutely not, but who cares.

white rose black forest by eoin dempseyWhite Rose, Black Forest by Eoin Dempsey

A WWII story with a strong female lead? Yep, I’m sold. This one started a little slow – there’s a lot of background and detail to absorb – but I couldn’t force myself to put it down for the last 100 pages or so. I cried a little at the end, and that hasn’t happened in a long time with a book. Highly recommend.

Enjoyable Enough …

a little too late by staci hartA Little Too Late by Staci Hart

This isn’t technically part of the Jane Austen adaptation series, but it follows Charlie from A Thousand Letters. I didn’t enjoy it as much as the others I’ve read so far, but it was still good enough – plenty of character development and not total romance fluff.

from lukov with love by mariana zapataFrom Lukov With Love by Mariana Zapata

I liked this 1000x more than The Wall of Winnipeg and Me – probably because I enjoy ice skating and read this when the Olympics were on, so I was in that sport mindset. My only issue? Even though this is considered a “slow burn,” I never really got the feeling that the two main people were in love until they finally hooked up at the end. I mean sure, there were signs here and there, but it still kind of came out of nowhere (to me).

after nightfall by a.j. bannerAfter Nightfall by A.J. Banner (thanks, NetGalley!)

This is a solid suspense novel if that’s what you’re into! It was a little wordy at times that I felt kind of took away from the actual plot that was unfolding, but it kept me guessing until the end.

the woman in the window by a.j. finnThe Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn

Eh, what’s with the hype with this book? Don’t really get it. It’s a decent read, but it was so slow and took forever to get into what actually was happening. All the back and forth about her love of old movies, etc. got old pretty fast. The end was still creepy as hell, but I wasn’t blown away.

Not For Me …

by the book by julia sonnebornBy the Book by Julia Sonneborn (thanks, NetGalley!)

This is probably the worst Persuasion adaptation that I’ve read. It’s a shame really because the story had potential, but the author just never got there. The writing was a jumbled mess, and this took me way longer to read than it should’ve because I kept falling asleep.

this man by jodi ellen malpasThis Man by Jodi Ellen Malpas

No. NO NO NO. Unless you want to read a book about a couple that fights and then has sex every other page, don’t bother.

one call away by emily goodwinOne Call Away by Emily Goodwin

I found this on Kindle Unlimited (best birthday gift ever), and while it’s not a total lost cause it just didn’t do much for me. I think I read this right after The Vixen and the Vet, so basically nothing was living up to that new set of expectations.

Currently reading: Truth or Beard by Penny Reid

What’s the best book that you’ve read recently?

P.S. You always can keep up with what I’m reading in my Instagram highlights! Also check out my last roundup of book reviews for more recommendations.

Linking up for Show Us Your Books.

Definitely interested in after nightfall -i like a book that keeps me guessing until the end! xo, Biana –BlovedBoston

2. Ashley wrote:

I’m just starting The Woman in the Window.. interested to see if I can get into it now!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  3. I want to read the two you couldn’t put down, I went to add them to my TBR and they were already there! πŸ™‚ hehe I haven’t read any Staci Hart yet, but would like to soon! I read Lukov during the Olympics as well and really quite enjoyed it. I haven’t read Winnipeg yet. I recently read Zapata’s Rhythm, Cord… etc. and it was pretty good too. πŸ™‚ I am never in the right mood for a thriller, but I want to be. haha πŸ™‚ XO – Alexandra

Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • I’m so glad someone else was into that book because of the Olympics, lol! Staci Hart books are some of my faves, hope you can read some soon!

4. Kristy Simon wrote:

Note to self: Do not read This Man! Lol. I will have to see if the library has Vixen and the Vet, that looks intriguing! I am about to start reading The Unteathered Soul – I’m not sure if you have heard of it, but if not I will let you know how it is! Oh, and also Pretty Mess by Bev Hills housewife Erika Jayne. My reading lineup is usually an eclectic mix.

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  5. Girl you’re on a roll! I need to add White Rose, Black Forest to my list. You had me at WWII story <3

Green Fashionista

6. Stephanie wrote:

Adding White Rose, Black Forest to my list, it sounds like it would be outside my normal reads but still very interesting. Thanks!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  7. SO many great titles! I feel like I’ll have to check some of these out. Thanks for the recs!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  8. Ooo the vixen and the vet sounds right up my alley! Love these roundups of book recommendations! πŸ™‚

Posted 1.28.19 Reply

I always like to see what you’re reading and like seeing your reading companion (Finn!) too! Was hoping The Woman in the Window was a better read, just goes to show not all books live up to their hype. Happy reading!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • Woman in the Window is still worth the read – I’ll be returning it to you in a few weeks! – but I think I had higher expectations based on all the hype. You’ll probably still enjoy it!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  10. i am glad you liked lukov more than winnipeg (but my heart hurts for winnipeg lol) but i totally know what you mean about never really feeling the love, i wish we’d gotten a bit more in that respect, but i still loved it because i’m a silly zapata fan girl. i’m so glad you’re enjoying the fairytale series πŸ™‚ also, i know you shared (the other day? don’t remember) that you enjoyed truth or beard, and i am so glad because otherwise we couldn’t be friends. Jk.

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • You crack me up, lol. I’m taking a break from the fairy tale series since I read both the Camelot and Little Mermaid ones – none of the others seem to interest me, but the Cinderella one comes out in the fall. Oh my goodness, Truth or Beard was SO CUTE. It literally made me laugh out loud at some parts, which I never do with a book. Are the others in the series worth reading?

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
      • well, they were all on kindle unlimited when i read them, and they were definitely worth it then. i liked book 2 (jethro) but didn’t love it, loved book 3 (cletus), book 4 was a bit of a bummer (beau, i had such high expectations being duane’s twin) and book 5 comes out in july. her books are kind of priced highly, i think, and rarely go on sale. i own all of the knitting in the city series and can kindle loan them to you if you ever want them, and i am going to eventually buy all the winston brothers books so if/when i do you can borrow those too and not waste your money lol. i don’t know. i enjoyed them all but book 1 was definitely my favourite! i just adore duane.

11. amanda wrote:

I have been reading This is Me by Chrissy Metz. A definite must-read if you are a fan of the tv show, This is Us. She is truly inspirational, and talks a lot about her struggles with weight and her journey to success.

12. Heather wrote:

I’ve never heard of White Rose, Black Forest but wow it sounds good!!! I really liked From Lukov too. I need to read A Little too Late sometime.

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • I LOVED White Rose, Black Forest. It’s less than 300 pages, too so easy/quick read. A Little Too Late is okay, you’re not missing much.

13. The Adored Life wrote:

I haven’t read in so long which makes me super sad. However, I still LOVE reading about what other people read, is that weird?

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • Not at all! That way you can have a super long reading list when you decide to read again. πŸ™‚

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  14. I liked the woman in The Woman in the Window, so I didn’t mind the parts that focused on her.

I thought After Nightfall was a good quick read.

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • After Nightfall was a good quick read! I didn’t dislike Woman in the Window, maybe just had higher expectations based on what I heard.

15. Caroline wrote:

I read White Rose, Black Forest and I loved it. I do agree with you though that it started out slow. Have you read the Tuscan Child? It is kinda similiar and also really good. Oh and have you read a Man Called Ove? Looking forward to more book recommendations from you too! πŸ™‚

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • Loved White Rose, Black Forest! One of my favorites this year. I haven’t read Tuscan Child, I’ll have to look into it. Man Called Ove is a good read!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply

I finished Forever, Interrupted recently and loved it. Taylor Jenkins Reid can do no wrong for me though. Now I’m reading Girl, Wash Your Face because I love Rachel Hollis πŸ™‚

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • TJR is seriously the best – she can do no wrong! I think that’s the only one by her that I haven’t read, so it’s on my list.

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  17. Appreciate the honest review. I am reading parenting books right now, lol.

Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

18. shootingstarsmag wrote:

Yeah, I’ve heard really mixed things about The Woman in the Window. I like the concept at least!

-Lauren

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  19. I’m always on the lookout for a good WWII novel, so I’ll definuteky add White Rose Black Forest to my list. And I know what you mean about being in the right mindset for a book, the Olympics would have made me want to read about ice skating too!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • Haha, I definitely think that mindset helped me read that book! Probably wouldn’t have been as into it otherwise. I think you’d enjoy White Rose, Black Forest since you enjoy WWII novels – it’s one of my favorites so far this year.

Posted 1.28.19 Reply

I have so many books on my must read list and looks like now I need to add a few more! Luckily it’s beach/pool season soon so keep the recommendations coming!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  21. I’m on a ridiculously long wait list for The Woman in the Window. I’m looking forward to it, though.