The One Thing I Do Every Morning to Start the Day Right

I’m kind of over technology these days. As a blogger I probably shouldn’t voice that opinion, but it’s the truth! The online world and social media realm are changing at damn-near impossible rates, and it’s overwhelming to keep up. I’m 100% guilty of reaching for my phone first thing after I open my eyelids in the morning (sometimes even before I’m fully awake, let’s get real) to jump straight into work. Is that healthy? Nope. Am I proud of this bad habit? Hell no. So, it’s time for a change! Throughout the last few weeks, I’ve tweaked my morning routine a little and have noticed some big changes in both my mood and motivation as a result. Want to know the one thing I do every morning to start the day right? Well, here it is folks …

I read for 30 minutes!

The One Thing I Do Every Morning to Start the Day Right

That’s right – you read it here first. The secret to start the day right is to put away the technology and exercise your creative mind through reading for just 30 minutes. Groundbreaking, no? šŸ˜‰ It’s not a secret that reading is one of my life’s greatest joys – it’s how I end every single day before I go to sleep. So, why had I never thought to start my day the same way?

You see, since I work from home I have the urge to always be doing something. Whether it’s freelance projects, blogging, stuff around the house … there’s several critics in my life that believe that working from home is code for unemployed loser, so I guess I feel the need to prove them wrong (even though I know and live the reality). Perhaps I felt like taking time for myself right away in the morning is selfish, and I’m undeserving of that.

Well, I’m not in that mindset anymore! I set a 30-minute reminder alarm on my Fitbit to start right after I pour a cup of coffee. From there, I’m free to either get lost in whatever book I’m reading or pick up any magazines or catalogues that I’ve neglected. The only rule for that half hour is no phone/computer/technology (except my Kindle).

As a result, I’ve noticed my stress levels are way down and I’m more likely to be in an upbeat, positive mood for the rest of the day. Plus, reading always sparks a certain amount of creativity so I’m able to stay more motivated and focused on work throughout the day. It’s a win-win all around!

There you have it, the one thing I do every morning to start the day right. Now, my challenge to all of you is to give this a go for yourself! If you commute to work via public transportation, bring reading material with you. Or, if you can’t totally sign off in the morning maybe try to read during your lunch hour. A midday reading-refresher sounds like heaven to me! Bottom line is that a half hour of zero screen time is nothing, and you may be surprised by how refreshed you feel.

How do you get away from screens and technology throughout the day?

Head over to my reading recommendations to help you get started! You might also enjoy posts on why weekly journaling helps me stay positive, and tips to help spark creativity.

This is a great idea and a great way to start the day! Iā€™m glad you have found the way to start your day happy and relaxed.

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  2. Love this idea! I’m all too guilty of immediately checking my phone too. I have to literally force myself some days to take a lunch break and step away from the computer, which is crazy.

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • I know that feeling! It’s so hard to get sucked into that cycle when you work from home. This new routine has helped so much.

3. Cassie Schelldorf wrote:

I try to stay off social media all morning. I usually start my day with an early gym session, come home and journal for 15-20 minutes, and then get ready. I so prefer to start my day that way! (My best friend just had her second child and so I have been obsessive with my phone lately) šŸ™ Need to stop

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • That’s a great routine to start the way! I wish I could get in the habit of working out in the morning – I usually go at lunchtime.

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  4. Such a good way to start the day! I would sure have to start early though…ha! I am impressed.

Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • Lol, I know what you mean! It’s obviously not possible for everyone, but it has made a difference for me.

Posted 1.28.19 Reply

that’s a wonderful way to start the day!! i try not to look at my phone first thing in the morning and I am good at it except for on the weekends when we have lazy starts to the day! xo, Biana –BlovedBoston

6. Penny @ pennyspassion.blogspot wrote:

Love reading a little something before my feet hit the floor each morning! Great way to start the day.

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  7. Love this idea! I have a ‘5 minute in the morning’ devotional book that I read every morning while my coffee is brewing and I just love the way it calms me and sets the mood for the rest of my day. I hate waking up and looking at my phone too! It’s so hard not to!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • That sounds like a great devotional! Even just five minutes is all you need to get started on the right foot for the day.

8. Caroline wrote:

What a wonderful way to start the day! šŸ™‚ I watch T.V. with Chris in the morning and drink coffee. Then I will pick up my phone. Or I’ll wait until I’m heading to the gym to grab it. I am looking for a new job right now so reading has been my way of taking a break from that. It lifts my spirits up too especially when it’s cold and gloomy outside. Thanks for sharing lady and have a great day! šŸ™‚

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • Reading is definitely a great escape, especially when there’s a lot going on in life. Happy job-hunting!

9. Ashley wrote:

Such a nice, relaxing way to start a morning! Reading is one of my favorite things to do and I need to carve out some more time for it!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • It really has made a difference in how I start my day – nice to get away from the technology, even if it’s just for a little bit!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  10. What a great way to start the day!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  11. Totally feel you on the technology thing! It can be totally over whelming!! I usually start my day reading as well and those days my attitude does always seem to be better!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • I’m glad it’s not just me! It really has made a difference in my mood and mindset for the rest of the day.