My 3 Go-To Stores For Affordable Workout Wear

One of the biggest takeaways throughout the last year since I began my fitness journey is that quality gym clothes do make a difference. Long gone are the days of wearing Softee shorts and whatever ratty old t-shirt I could find … I cringe just thinking about it! But, as I’m sure you’ve come to learn I’m always shopping for those quality pieces at budget prices. So today, I’m offering up my 3 go-to stores for affordable workout wear and a few of my favorite items from each. It’s totally doable to find gym clothes at a lower price point that offer support, soak up sweat, AND keep you looking somewhat cute!

3 Go-To Stores for Affordable Workout Wear

*affiliate links, details

Kohl’s

My first stop when I’m in the market for a new pair of gym shorts or pants. I almost exclusively wear cropped black spandex – I’m not much into patterned bottoms. I swear by the Tek Gear Shapewear Workout Leggings, which is the Kohl’s in-house name brand. That lends itself to a slightly lower price point without sacrificing quality. I have a couple pairs of spandex that are a few years old and still in great shape – if you take care of them properly, they’ll last! These usually can be scored on sale or at the very least, purchased with a coupon (like everything else at Kohl’s).

Old Navy

It’s not surprising that the store with the cutest graphic tees and sweatshirts also is home to some of the cutest graphic workout tees and tanks! Nothing wrong with wanting to look a little stylish while sweating your ass off. The muscle tanks are my favorite for the thicker strap silhouette and longer length. These can shrink a little, so I typically buy a large to compensate.

Target

No shock here since Target could be the only store left standing in the world, and all of us would more than likely be able to survive. This is typically where I find all my sports bras, sometimes even on clearance! The C9 brand is great since they offer different styles and levels of support (I typically go for medium support with a strappy back). And again, these hold up really well if you launder and take care of them properly. I’m also itching to pick up a few pieces from the new Joy Lab line.

My only workout gear splurge? Running shoes. I just recently purchased my first pair of Brooks running shoes, and they’ve changed my life … well, my gym life at least. 😉

Where do you shop for gym clothes? Any favorite brands?

Like health and fitness posts? Also check out how I trained for my first 5k.

1. Liza wrote:

I always love TJMaxx/Marshalls/etc for mine. The clothes are cute and super cheap- if they’re going to get stinky and sweaty I don’t want to pay a lot for them!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • I always shop at TJMaxx, but always forget to look at the athletic wear there. Thanks for the tip and reminder!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  2. Old Navy and Target are definitely my go to stores for workout wear! I agree, comfortable/stylish work out clothes helps with the motivation!

3. Kristy Simon wrote:

I absolutely love Old Navy for workout clothes! I swear by the high waisted leggings. They provide support so the waist doesn’t roll down when you do sit-ups! Lol! Target is fab per the norm, and I agree with you on Kohl’s Tek Gear – I have cropped leggings that are like 4 years old and still going strong!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  4. I’m actually in the need for some new workout clothes, so I’ll definitely be checking out Target and Old Navy! I always feel like getting a good shoe is key to running successfully and I’m totally a Brooks girl too!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • Yay, a fellow Brooks girl! I don’t know how I’ve been running the last year without them – such a difference from the Asics I had. Hope you’re able to find some workout clothes!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  5. I’ve had the same C9 workout pants for 3 years and I swear they’re still just as good as the day I bought them. Love target workout clothes and old navy has some really cute stuff as well. Will have to check out Kohls next time I’m there!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • I love C9 workout pants! You’re right, they hold up so well. Definitely check out Kohl’s next time – I’ve had great luck there with affordable workout wear!

6. Monica L wrote:

Old Navy & Target are my go-to stores for workout clothes! When Target had their C9 stuff on sale in January I stocked up and got some great stuff.

Posted 1.28.19 Reply

Since I plan to stop procrastinating and get back to exercising, I might be needing some new workout wear and I appreciate all of your “scentsible” suggestions! Nothing wrong with sweating and looking cute at the same time!

8. Caroline wrote:

I bought two new bras at Target last week and I love them. The new workout clothes that they have are also really cute. Under Armour and Lululemon are my favorites but I will have to check out Old Navy. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • I love some of Under Armour’s stuff, but unless they’re having a sale or I can get to the outlet I just can’t justify the prices since I’m pretty hard on my workout clothes. Lululemon is supposed to be great, too so I can understand why it’s your favorite!

• Caroline wrote:

I only put Under Armour and Lululemon stuff on my birthday or Christmas list. If I buy Under Armour myself it has to be on sale. Otherwise yeah no not paying that much for a shirt haha. 🙂

Posted 1.28.19 Reply

I love TJ Maxx for workout clothes as well – they have some great brands as you know for such low prices. Love old navy too – such cute stuff! xo,Biana-BlovedBoston

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • I don’t know why I always forget to check TJMaxx for workout clothes – thanks for the reminder!

10. Megan wrote:

Old Navy has some great workout clothes! I am always buying their shorts whenever they are on sale. I also get a lot of my workout clothes from TJ Maxx or Marshalls. Their 90 Degree brand leggings are always super comfortable and affordable!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • Thank you for the tip! I shop at TJMaxx all the time, so I don’t know why I haven’t thought to look at workout clothes there, too.

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  11. You’re totally right- the clothing makes a difference. I recently ordered a pair of leggings from Old Navy and I was impressed! The last time I searched for leggings there I was not impressed- let’s just say they weren’t passing the downward dog test (hello see through!) but the quality has improved! My favorite workout clothes are from Gap! I love Gapfit leggings and also their breathe collection.

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • I’ve always wanted to try some workout clothes from Gap! I bet they’re just a step above Old Navy, although like you said they have really improved their stuff!

12. Gentry wrote:

Old Navy is my jam for workout clothes! Tanks for $6?? Yes please!