Welcome to What Karly Said & Why I Re-branded

WELCOME TO WHAT KARLY SAID! That’s right – Miss in the Midwest is in my past, and I am so so so excited to finally share with you the new site today! With any re-brand, there’s a lot to talk about and so much to share. So, I’m going to do my best to hit the highlights today and follow-up with any more specific topics in future posts.

Welcome to What Karly Said

Why did I choose to change my blog name after four years?

It’s no secret that changing a blog name/re-branding, no matter how long or short you’ve been at it, is not an ideal situation. But, here’s the straight truth – I loathed Miss in the Midwest. Sure, it was cute and catchy and represented a time in my life when things were a lot simpler and carefree. Otherwise, that name and blog identity didn’t represent me (except for my geographical location) or say much about my personality.

Changing my blog name has been on my mind for a long time now. Probably at least a year or so, but I was never able to commit/I found a million and one reasons not to do it. Until recently, I finally just kind of said screw it and decided I was going to go for it! Yeah, SEO and Google rankings might suck for a while, but it’s not like I have tens of thousands of people flocking to my blog everyday. So, whatever! This was 100% for me.

So, why What Karly Said?

As the youngest of three siblings there was a lot of, “that’s what Karly said!” growing up. Fast-forward to my ripe age of 29, and I still hear that same phrase almost daily from either my mom, sister or friends when discussing beauty advice I give out, new Target shopping finds, sharing the latest celebrity gossip, etc. You get the picture! I seem to always be saying something about anything, so it was a perfect fit for my new blog name. Plus, I knew I wanted something more personal (can’t get more personal than my own name) and shorter in terms of domain name/email address. Obviously I’m bias, but I think it all worked out.

Will my content and posting schedule change?

While the primary topics of what I write about – everyday life, beauty, shopping, home – won’t change, my hope is that writing/sharing will improve on my end! I was so unmotivated the last few months because of Miss in the Midwest that my content took a hit. It’s not an excuse, but I basically was just trying to post stuff to post – you know? That’s all behind me now, and I have pages of new post ideas! Don’t hesitate to reach out if you, too have any ideas/suggestions for future content.

I’ll also still be aiming to post two to three times weekly – primarily Monday and Wednesday with the occasional Friday post if I feel inclined.

Now I need your help!

I’ve been at this for nearly a week now, so it’s safe to say that my brain is tired and my eyes are temporarily cross-eyed. That’s where you come in!

Since you’re already here, that should indicate that everything transferred smoothly. Hooray! I hope it’s that easy. But, this is technology that we’re discussing so that can be tricky sometimes. Are you still following me on Bloglovin’? I moved everyone over from the old page, but it takes two seconds to double-check. Otherwise, be sure to subscribe via email with that nifty newsletter widget in the sidebar. I know that you see it. 😉

Social media should be a nonissue since that just required a simple change of usernames across the board. If you were following @msinthemidwest, you should now be following @whatkarlysaid on all the major social networks!

I’m also still working behind-the-scenes on getting my new layout/design stuff set up (thanks to Lindsay Humes for the theme!), so please take some time to click around and check out all the new features! If something doesn’t appear to work, seems weird or you just don’t like it, please let me know! The ultimate goal is to always make things easily searchable and accessible.

On that note, let me again welcome you to What Karly Said! If you’re a former follower of Miss in the Midwest, thanks for sticking with me. If you’re a new follower, I’m so glad and grateful that you’re here. Looking forward to getting back into the regular rhythm of things with new content coming your way soon!

Congrats on the rebrand girl! The site looks great and I love hearing the meaning behind the name, so cute! Can’t wait to follow along!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply

Love the new name and the new look! I feel like I had a hand in it because I’m always saying “That’s what Karly said!”! Looking forward to everything you plan on sharing in the future.

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  3. Congrats on the re-fresh and everything being up and running! So exciting! As for Bloglovin, I honestly haven’t used the platform in years because it was so glitchy. I’m old school, and still use GFC or manually type in my favorite’s URL’s 😛

Green Fashionista

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • Thanks, girly! And, that’s great to know – nothing wrong with being OG/old-school. 🙂

4. Caroline wrote:

YAY! Congratulations!!! I love the new name and everything looks great! I can’t wait to continue to read more posts too. 🙂

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  5. Love how everything looks! So clean and very you. So much work so congrats!

Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

6. Jenn wrote:

I love the new site, the new name, everything!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  7. I love the rebrand and your new site design! I can only imagine how much of a pain it was to get everything done but it looks fresh! And I’m sure that others have already mentioned it but I’m still following you on Bloglovin, even with the name change!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • Thanks so much, girly! And, thanks for letting me know about Bloglovin – everything seemed to transfer okay, but it’s still not updating my feed with new posts! So, I’m still working on getting that resolved, but I’m glad that everything else transferred smoothly!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  8. Congrats! Love the new name!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  9. I LOVE it! I love the new name, the blog design, and your hair! haha you look so chic. Look forward to seeing new posts from you!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • Thanks, babe! Haha, you make me feel so good about my hair – I thought I was going to grow it back out, but I’m definitely sticking with the short hair life for a while. Thank you for always following along!

10. Brittany Steinkamp wrote:

Looking good!! Love the new name and the layout – way to go!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • Thank you so much! Whenever you decide to take the plunge, I have lots of tips for you. 😉

• Brittany Steinkamp wrote:

I need all the tips I can get! I’m hopefully starting down the track this weekend… can I email you for some tips?!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply

Huge congrats girl!! New site and new great things to come! xo, Biana –BlovedBoston

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  12. I switched my blog name over a year ago or so and it was a hard decision to make, but to your point, it’s not like 1 million people follow my blog 😉 I think yours looks great and look forward to following along!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • Good for you! At the end of the day, we need to do things for ourselves that make us happy because that’s all that really matters. Thanks for stopping by and for your kind words!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  13. I love the new name!! And your new profile pics are adorable! What a headache to change everything, but I understand the want to rebrand and keep things fresh! Excited to continue following along!!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • Thank you, sweet friend! Our camera/photography skills are thumbs down (lol), but I think they turned out okay. Yes, such a headache but glad I did it!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  14. Yay! Loving the new name! I’ve contemplated with rebranding myself but did give my blog a little makeover late last night (still some glitches). Can’t wait to continue following along with What Karly Said!

Zelle | Southern Style

15. Ashley wrote:

I love the new site, name everything!! So excited for you– it looks amazing!!

16. Kristy Simon wrote:

I love the new blog name! The look is also very you. I’m pretty sure as I was talking to Mom on Saturday, I said the classic, “That’s what Karly said” line several times lol!

17. A wrote:

I love the new layout! It’s definitely very clean and easy to navigate. Also love the new name! As for ideas, I always enjoy reading what you post. I hope your new postings will still include book reviews, I always find great suggestions from your posts.

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • Thank you, I’m so happy to hear that! Still working to tweak a few things, but I think the site is in a good place for now. And, yes – monthly book posts aren’t going anywhere. 🙂

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  18. Ahhh so exciting! I love the name, and the look and feel of it all! I agree with what someone said below me- I love your book reviews too! And beauty posts, and home decor posts. I think I literally sent a picture you posted on Instagram today to Brett because it had something I would love in the nursery! Excited to keep following along:)!!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • Awe, thanks girlfriend! And, thanks for the content input – I’m actually hoping to up the number of beauty posts around here, so stay tuned. And, yay for nursery decorating! 🙂

19. Julie wrote:

Love the new name and look! Congratulations feels a little weird to say, but I think it’s deserved given all the work you’ve put in. 🙂

20. the cape on the corner wrote:

congratulations. love the new name and new haircut.
    b