Tips to Spark Creativity If You’re in a Post-Holiday Rut

Ah, the post-December slump. I’m living it and know it well. All that planning, anticipation and (at times) chaos, and just like that it’s all over. Time to snap back to reality. Well … for some of us, it’s not that easy! Especially if you’re living somewhere right now where the average windchill temperature is -350 F, so the couch and heated blanket are the only two things you really want or need. Yep, I’m speaking from experience. 😉 While none of these factors feed into much creativity or motivation, I’ve discovered a few things that are helping me to get back to a regular routine. And, bonus for being able to write what I know/am currently experiencing since my blog creativity-well is running a little low! So, here we go – tips to spark creativity if you’re in a post-holiday rut.

Tips to Spark Creativity If You're in a Post-Holiday Rut

1. Exercise. Duh, this is an obvious one. Whether you’ve resolved to get moving in the new year or you’re a regular gym rat like myself, go be active! Some of my best ideas come to me while on the treadmill. Plus, I also find that getting my heart rate up and blood pumping early on in the day keeps me active and more motivated throughout the rest of the day.

2. Read. Another no-brainer for me and from me to you. When your reality isn’t generating anything creative, escape into someone else’s world to get lost for a while. Psst – my first book roundup of the year is coming Wednesday!

3. Pick up a new hobby. Learning something new always brings a spark and sense of accomplishment, in my opinion. Remember in last month’s currents when I mentioned I wanted to take up crocheting? Well, my mom set me up with a starter kit for Christmas and I’m already almost finished with my first blanket. Boom!

4. Brainstorm on paper or better yet, talk to someone. A good ‘ol fashioned pen and paper brainstorming session is sometimes necessary this time of year, especially for those of us bloggers! It’s a great way to see what ideas you have floating around in your head and an easy way to generate new ideas by seeing your current ones on paper. Grab a friend, coworker or your blogging bestie to make it more fun. Sometimes it helps to have a second opinion or someone else to offer up suggestions.

5. Go shopping. Yep, I’m giving you permission to shop your heart out to kick-start that imagination. You don’t have to buy anything, but as we learned from Lorelai and Rory window shopping kind of sucks. Put those gift cards to work, and treat yourself to something new. As materialistic as this sounds, surrounding yourself with a few new purchases and things can help make you feel new and refreshed.

6. Plan your next getaway. When you’re living in the pit of hell aka winter, it helps to have something to look forward to. Plan something now not too far in the future, even if it’s a weekend getaway or stay-cation with local activities that you’ve always wanted to do!

7. Purge, clean and organize. Everyone’s favorite activity this time of year! Seriously, how do holiday decorations collect SO much dust in a short amount of time? Nothing better than getting everything put away and the house cleaned from floor-to-ceiling. Now’s also a great time to clean out the basement or purge your closet of items you didn’t wear throughout the last year. Donate or sell anything you don’t want, and get the rest of it organized. For me, a clean house means a clear mind. (Who am I? Buddha?)

8. Allow yourself a day of “nothing.” If you’re just not feeling it, then allow yourself that and indulge in an off day. We so often ignore what our bodies and/or minds are trying to tell us! Maybe you need some time off to regroup and get your shit together. That’s a-okay, trust me. You’ll be ready to work harder when you’re in the right mindset.

I’m fully okay to admit that my 2018 is off to a slow start – my guess is that it is for some of you, too. But, hopefully with these tips (and any other suggestions you might have!), together we can get back up and running!

What other tips do you have to spark creativity during the winter season?

You might also enjoy 5 ways to beat the winter blues.

This post could not have come at a better time – I’m so lacking creativity in the blogging department. I feel like I’ve said everything over these last 4 years and I’m not sure what else there is LOL! Thanks for sharing these tips! xo, Biana –BlovedBoston

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • Girl, I hear you! I feel the EXACT same way most days lately. Hopefully it’s just a rut that we both can come out of! xx

2. Caroline wrote:

Love this!!! It is supposed to warm up this week here so I hope that it does for you guys too. I go to the gym every morning even when it’s freezing outside and that definitely helps. I also would like to start reading again. Thank you for sharing and I hope that you have a great day!! 🙂

Posted 1.28.19 Reply

Working out and reading are definitely two of my favorite ways to spark creativity! And the day to just nothing is such a great idea! Sometimes you just need to recharge and then creativity sparks!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  4. Such a great post! I for sure need to exercise and organize when I find some time ;-).

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  5. I’m finishing up my winter break from school now, and I thought I’d allow myself so many days to “do nothing” …and it maybe happened one time! You’re totally right – sometimes we just need to give ourselves that time off. I find that reading for pleasure and exercising helps me to be more creative and productive as well!

6. Carly wrote:

Great tips! I’ve found that exercise is key to not getting into a slump as the days get shorter and colder this time of year. Even a small amount of exercise always makes me feel way better

Have a wonderful week!
    Carly at A Modern Mom Blog

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  7. How in the world have you already crocheted a blanket?!! That’s amazing! I tend to pick it back up every fall- it’s one of my favorite seasonal hobbies! I started a baby blanket and it’s just sitting on the end of my sofa, taunting me.:) Old-fashioned pen and paper also is one of the best strategies for me, I’m often too lazy to just take the time to think about it!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • Haha, I’m probably giving myself too much credit in the crochet department – I just did a one stitch pattern for the blanket since it was my first attempt. Nothing too tricky, and it turned out far from perfect! But I’m anxious to get started on another project. Crochet baby blankets are seriously the cutest – maybe I’ll have to make one and send it to you! 🙂

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  8. How in the world have you already crocheted a blanket?!! That’s amazing! I tend to pick it back up every fall- it’s one of my favorite seasonal hobbies! I started a baby blanket and it’s just sitting on the end of my sofa, taunting me.:) Old-fashioned pen and paper also is one of the best strategies for me, I’m often too lazy to just take the time to think about it!

Posted 1.12.18 Reply

Posted 1.15.18 Reply
  9. Jessica wrote:

You can find me this weekend cleaning my closets! Gahhhh I really only need one 🙂 Would love for you to stop by and check out the latest!

xo, Jessica || The Petite Diaries

10. Jessica wrote:

xo, Jessica || The Petite Diaries

Posted 1.9.18 Reply
  11. Yes to having a day of doing nothing! Sometimes that’s really all you need! And I totally agree that planning your next getaway is the perfect way to get out of the winter blues.

Posted 1.8.18 Reply
    • I think so many of us don’t allow ourselves to do nothing sometimes, and it’s usuallt exactly what we need! We just finished planning our trip to Florida for next month, and it definitely helps to look forward to something.

Posted 1.9.18 Reply
  12. Ashley wrote:

I love that these didn’t include social media anything. Because that itself is a great way to get out of a creative rut…. having a no-social media day!

13. Ashley Ziegler wrote:

Posted 1.8.18 Reply
    • Absolutely! I went two weeks without social media during the holidays, and it was so refreshing. Glad you feel the same!

Posted 1.9.18 Reply
  14. Carly wrote:

Have a wonderful week!
    Carly at A Modern Mom Blog

Posted 1.8.18 Reply
  15. Love this so much! I really like the tip of giving yourself a day of nothing. Sometimes it’s so helpful to just have a day where you can relax and then know “okay tomorrow I’m going to start doing xyz.” Great post!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  16. Love this so much! I really like the tip of giving yourself a day of nothing. Sometimes it’s so helpful to just have a day where you can relax and then know “okay tomorrow I’m going to start doing xyz.” Great post!

Posted 1.8.18 Reply
    • Yes, exactly! I’m a believer that everything gets done eventually, and if it doesn’t then it probably wasn’t important in the first place. Sometimes we just need to take care of ourselves first and foremost. Thanks, girl!

Posted 1.9.18 Reply
  17. Love the tip to go shopping, yes please! Exercise is HUGE for my mood and creativity, so much comes to mind during my workouts. And in the words of Elle Woods, exercise gives you endorphins <3

Green Fashionista

Posted 1.8.18 Reply
  18. A good purge to start the new year always makes me feel SO much better! Love your tips, babe!

-Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  19. A good purge to start the new year always makes me feel SO much better! Love your tips, babe!

-Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

Posted 1.8.18 Reply
  20. I’m finishing up my winter break from school now, and I thought I’d allow myself so many days to “do nothing” …and it maybe happened one time! You’re totally right – sometimes we just need to give ourselves that time off. I find that reading for pleasure and exercising helps me to be more creative and productive as well!

Posted 1.8.18 Reply
    • I know what you mean – a “nothing” day is definitely harder to execute than most think, but it’s glorious when we allow it to happen!

Posted 1.9.18 Reply
  21. Such a great post! I for sure need to exercise and organize when I find some time ;-).

Posted 1.8.18 Reply
    • Totally, girl! Everything that’s important gets done eventually, right? I think we all just need to cut ourselves some slack and do nothing once in a while!

Posted 1.9.18 Reply
  23. Caroline wrote:

Posted 1.8.18 Reply
    • Exercise is such a great mood booster – it does wonders. Good for you for going on the daily!

Posted 1.9.18 Reply

These are all excellent ideas, I think the beginning of the year is a good time to focus on “me time” after all the focus over the holidays on everyone else!

Posted 1.8.18 Reply
  26. All good tips! This time of year can definitely have that affect but doing something about it is the best way!

Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

Posted 1.8.18 Reply
  27. I love these ideas! These could also be the solution to the ‘winter blues’ in my case! I agree that a good work out really helps the blood flow to the brain! Hope you are staying warm friend!

Posted 1.8.18 Reply
    • Helping the winter blues definitely goes hand-in-hand with these tips, so I’m glad you feel that way! Hope it’s getting warmer by you!

Posted 1.9.18 Reply