Weekend Kick Off to the Holiday Season

Happy December! 2017 will be over before we know it – hard to believe, right?! We had the BEST weekend kick off to the holiday season, so naturally I want to share a little bit about it here.

Our weekend started off in the best way possible – date night! And, not just your average date night. As an early Christmas present, Ryan got us tickets to see Waitress The Musical! If you’re not familiar, the musical is based off the movie with Kerri Russell and Sara Bareilles wrote the score. So, basically two of my favorite things combined into one show. Score! Naturally, I had to document my look as evidence that I do sometimes leave the house and get dressed up.

Weekend Kick Off to the Holiday Season - date night outfit

We started the night at Houdini’s Escape – Gastropub in Appleton, Wis. Not only was the atmosphere modern and trendy, the food was ridiculously good. Between the calamari, Ryan’s fish fry and my vodka jumbo shrimp we left with very full bellies! I’m never inclined to take pictures of our food, but just take my word for it. If you’re local, check this place out! At least I have evidence of us mid calamari chow-down.

Houdini's Escape - Gastropub Appleton, Wis.

Then, it was off to the Fox Cities Performing Arts Center for the show! I’m not sure if I’ve ever talked about it much here, but musical theater is just one of my things. (Singin’ in the Rain is my favorite movie EVER after all.) Nothing tops the music and simply watching a live performance. It had been a long while since I’d been to a show and only the third time Ryan and I had ever attended a performance together, so that made it extra special. I feel so lucky to have a husband that will do things a little out of his comfort zone solely because it makes me happy!

Waitress the Musical at Fox Cities PACWaitress the Musical at the Fox Cities PAC

Our seats were fantastic – first row in the second balcony – and the show blew me away. I already was familiar with the music since the album is on Amazon Prime, but again – nothing beats hearing it live! I laughed, cried and clapped like crazy. Even though Christmas hasn’t arrived yet, it already was/is the best present!

Fox Cities PAC front row second balcony

To finish the weekend, we’re finally done with decking the halls in our house! Per tradition, I made a big pot of chili, turned on Elf, and we spent the night decorating our fun family tree. This always makes the holidays seem more real to me. It’s so fun to pull out all the ornaments and reminisce about the memories behind them. I think our Finny boy enjoys the tree, too!

tree decoratingdog in front of tree

I couldn’t have asked for or planned a better start to the month of December. My hope is that this is a good omen for the things and fun activities to come for the rest of the month and year!

How was your weekend? Are you finished with holiday decorating?

Linking up with Biana.

1. Your weekend sounds perfect! I love that you got to see Waitress! I’ve heard so many great things about it! And yes to having holiday traditions when decorating the house! We usually like to have mimosas and listen to Christmas music while we decorate!

Posted 12.4.17 Reply
    • It really was a perfect weekend – that doesn’t happen too often around here, so I really treasure them when they do! Mimosas always are a must this time of year – we usually save that for Christmas morning!

Posted 12.5.17 Reply
  2. Jessica wrote:

What a great way to start your December!! Y’all always have so much fun! Would love for you to stop by! xo, Jessica || The Petite Diaries

3. The Adored Life wrote:

I LOVE that you got to see Waitress! I just started listening to it and I am SO jealous of how great it must have been in real life!

The Adored Life

Posted 12.4.17 Reply
    • It was the sweetest and best early Christmas gift! If you’re loving the music, I hope that you get to see it live someday. SO GOOD.

Posted 12.5.17 Reply
  4. Such a fun date night, and LOVING your top <3

Green Fashionista

5. Caroline wrote:

Sounds like a great weekend and fun!! Your tree is beautiful and I hope that you guys had nice weather like we did here too. 🙂

Posted 12.4.17 Reply
  6. What a fun weekend! You look adorable and I love that green top!

Posted 12.4.17 Reply
    • Awe, thank you! One of my many Old Navy purchases from the last month that I was glad I finally had an excuse to wear.

Posted 12.5.17 Reply
  7. Seeing all this instantly put me in a good mood 🙂 Looks like it was the perfect kickoff to the holiday month!

Posted 12.4.17 Reply
    • Thanks, friend! It was a great way to start the month. To say we needed a night out and a little fun is an understatement!

Posted 12.5.17 Reply
  8. What a fun weekend! Waitress sounds like it would be so good, so glad you guys had a good time, and it’s always so much fun decorating the tree and remembering the ornaments as you take them out.

Posted 12.4.17 Reply
    • Waitress was amazing – definitely blew my expectations away. Ryan and I joke that we’re doomed when we start a family because we already hardly have any room left on our tree for all our own ornaments, ha! So fun to pull them all out, though.

Posted 12.5.17 Reply
  9. Y’all are so cute! Sounds like such a fun weekend. Anything that starts with a great date night cannot be bad right?!

Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

Posted 12.4.17 Reply

What a fun weekend, so glad the show lived up to your expectations! Always a nice way to start off the holiday season! The picture of Finn in front of the tree is priceless, he seems to like this time of year too!

Posted 12.4.17 Reply
  11. Looks like a fun weekend! Loved that movie.

Posted 12.4.17 Reply

What a fun way to kick of the holiday season and even better that this was one of your gifts from Ryan!! I actually really loved the movie as well so I know I’d love this show!! xo, Biana –BlovedBoston

Posted 12.4.17 Reply

Love this post! And love the top you wore to the show – it sounds like you guys had the best, festive weekend!

Posted 12.4.17 Reply
    • Thanks, girly! So glad I finally had an excuse to wear it. 😉 It was such a fun and festive weekend – I hope we can do something equally as fun when Ryan is off another weekend!

Posted 12.5.17 Reply