12.11.17 30

A Little Christmas Q&A

Happy Monday! I love to read all the holiday-themed posts that bloggers publish around this time, so I’m kicking off the week with my own little Christmas q&a. Enjoy!

A Little Christmas Q&A

A glimpse of our front sitting room – my favorite spot in the house right now!

Real or fake tree? We now have three fake trees in the house – and counting! I think the mess and maintenance of a real tree would drive me nuts. I’ll stick to lighting a balsam candle for the scent.

Favorite Christmas cookie? My mom’s peanut butter cookies.

Home or travel for Christmas morning? We travel to my parent’s house since Christmas also is my dad’s birthday. This probably will change in the future, though when we decide to start a family and want the kid(s) to experience Santa arriving Christmas morning.

White or multi-color lights? White lights all the way for my neutral-loving heart. No shock there, I’m sure.

Christmas cards? Yes to sending and receiving! Ours went out last week.

Favorite gift received and/or given? My favorite gift received in recent years was my new laptop from both Ryan and my parents. It was a total surprise, which isn’t the easiest thing to do with me when it comes to presents. Favorite gift given was a couple years ago when Ryan and me, my brother and sister teamed up to surprise my parents with James Taylor concert tickets at Wrigley Field. We did a whole parody-play gift on his song Fire and Rain, so my parents were seriously like WTF is going on (ha!) until they found the tickets at the bottom of a huge box.

Stockings or no? Hell yes, stockings are the best!

Christmas jammies? Again, hell yes! Growing up, we only got to open one gift Christmas Eve and it always was new pajamas. Now, Ryan and I pick out new ones and wear them while we open our own presents. This will be the first year that we’re doing full-on matching pajamas, and I can’t wait.

Favorite Christmas song? White Christmas, I’ll Be Home for Christmas and the Judy Garland rendition of Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas. All three basically make me bawl my eyes out every single time.

Favorite holiday tradition? After opening presents Christmas Eve, Ryan always makes a fire and we watch a Christmas movie before we head to bed. It’s usually Frozen – not exactly Christmas, but whatever.

Early shopper or last-minute? I’m a little bit of both! I think last-minute shopping is inevitable in some situations.

Favorite Christmas movie? White Christmas and Meet Me in St. Louis – see the theme there with my favorite songs, too? I also of course love The Holiday, The Family Stone and all the classics that you’d expect.

Favorite holiday beverage? My mom makes the most delicious tea this time of year that I always look forward to. Cocktail wise, can’t go wrong with pomegranate juice and prosecco.

Cookies and milk for Santa? Absolutely, I always did this as a kid! Santa even usually left me a note to find the following morning, one of which I recently found in one of my dad’s scrapbooks … 😉

What are some of your favorite holiday traditions?

1. Your house is absolutely gorgeous! And I’m all about white lights though my kids love colored ones lol.

Published 12.11.17
    • Thank you so much! I’m not anti multicolor lights at all – I just think the white lights work better with our decor. 🙂

Published 12.13.17
  2. It just wouldn’t feel like Christmas without sending out Christmas cards! And I love that y’all light a fire and watch a movie every Christmas Eve! That’s such a fun tradition!

Published 12.11.17
    • I wish I even knew how we started that tradition, but I think it just sort of happened! Gotta love those Christmas cards, too!

Published 12.13.17
  3. How fun that Christmas is also your dad’s birthday! And yay for Christmas cards and white lights! Never ending debate with my husband and I so we put soft white lights on the tree, and colored lights outside. Compromise <3

Green Fashionista

Published 12.11.17
    • Lol, I like your compromise on the lights! We have red and white lights on our shrubs outside, so I guess we use a little bit of color, too. 🙂

Published 12.13.17
  4. Ashley wrote:

Mmmm peanut butter cookies!! This is such a fun post!

5. The Adored Life wrote:

I LOVE THIS!!!!!!! MORE OF THIS GIRL!
    The Adored Life

Published 12.11.17
  6. Your house looks so good! I am with you on the white lights, stockings, and jammies!

Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

Published 12.11.17
  7. Such a cute post! So festive!

8. Cassie Schelldorf wrote:

Love your sitting room! Looks so cozy and warm! HOW do you keep those white chairs and couch clean all the time?! LoL. Also, I loved your holiday round up 🙂 Sounds like you have some special traditions!

Published 12.11.17
    • Hahaha I get that question all the time, especially since that loveseat and those chairs have been deemed Finn’s territory! Luckily, the loveseat is a slipcover so I just throw it in the wash every month or two.

Published 12.13.17
  9. Caroline wrote:

First off, what a beautiful room!! 🙂 I am with you on the neutral colored lights and yes to Christmas cocktails. 🙂

10. Julie wrote:

Love this! Thanks for sharing. To throw out a few of my own…
    Tree: Real! But with an um “exuberant” puppy, the tabletop sized is our option. 🙂
    Tradition: Ice skating at an outdoor rink (must have twinkly lights within sight).
    Movie: White Christmas, Christmas in Connecticut, and Love Actually.

Published 12.11.17
    • Love your traditions! We haven’t been ice skating in so long – that would be fun to try to do this year. Thanks for the idea!

Published 12.13.17

First off, I am obsessed with your tree! I cant’ believe you have 3! And pomegranate and prosecco sounds so yummy, I’ll have to try that this year!

Published 12.11.17
    • Our third one is just a little 4′ guy in our bedroom, so I guess that really doesn’t count. But it sort of does, lol. Thanks, girl! And, yes – that cocktail is so easy and so delicious.

Published 12.13.17

What a fun post and I’m so happy that you treasure so many of our Christmas traditions! I can tell you that the James Taylor tickets were such a neat surprise and you all outdid yourselves with that one! I better get going so I can make some of those peanut butter cookies and Yule tea!

Published 12.11.17
  13. Love this idea for a post! We do the same PJ tradition on Christmas eve! So fun you guys got matching ones this year! We used to do real trees, but the last 2 years we’ve done fake just for less stress and so true about lighting a candle for the scent. I can’t wait to see your trees! Jealous you have 3!!

Published 12.11.17
    • Two big ones and one smaller one that’s in our bedroom this year … and I have to resist a new one every time we’re out. Ha! I just love trees since they fill the space so easily. Lighting a balsam candle in lieu of a real tree really is a good compromise!

Published 12.13.17

So many fun traditions!! I love the gift you guys gave your parents – that sounds like such a great surprise and I’m the same way with a fake tree and white lights! xo, Biana –BlovedBoston

Published 12.11.17
    • It was a fun surprise – we rarely do joint gifts like that, so it was just as much fun working together with my siblings as it was to give the gift to my parents!

Published 12.13.17

We did a real tree in addition to our fakes this year and the messy has been an adjustment to get used to! Love that you go to your parents on Christmas, we always did that too – this year we’re just going to do Santa stuff here when we wake up then go right over there after about mid morning.

Published 12.11.17
    • You’re so lucky that you’re nice and close to family! We have around a two-hour drive to my parent’s house, so that’s why we do our Christmas the night before right now. Your real tree is so gorgeous, I’m loving it in the foyer!

Published 12.13.17