Shiplap Wainscoting in Our Half Bathroom

I don’t know what it is about this time of year. There’s enough going on, but for some reason Ryan and I manage to throw a million and one home projects into the mix. Seems logical, right? Anyway, I say that because it was around this time last year that I shared our budget-friendly modern farmhouse half bathroom renovation. I always knew something was missing from that space, and I knew that that something was shiplap. It’s a miracle that I’ve lasted this long without adding shiplap anywhere in our house. So, drum roll please … I present shiplap wainscoting in our half bathroom!

Shiplap Wainscoting in Our Half Bathroom

Isn’t she pretty?! It probably doesn’t seem like a major change – it is just half a wall of planks after all – but the shiplap adds so much more character to the space. Plus, since this bathroom is on the smaller side all the white shiplap helps brighten it up.

Now, for all you DIY’ers out there I’ll let you in on a little secret. THAT’S NOT REAL SHIPLAP. *gasp* Nope. Real shiplap is pretty expensive (and kind of a ripoff, if you ask me), and it’s too thick when paired with our baseboard. Thanks to Pinterest, we discovered an easier, budget-friendly alternative – plywood! It sounds crazy, but it really does the trick. You probably would’ve never known the difference if I didn’t tell you, right? For our bathroom, we only needed two sheets of plywood (I believe they were 1/8″ thick … the smallest you can get basically). Lowe’s cut the planks for us, and Ryan managed the rest!

DIY shiplap wainscoting from plywood

Since I wanted the shiplap to be the real focal point of the room now, I also made some small decor changes. The above-the-toilet ladder that we made is now firewood, and I replaced it with this cute galvanized shelf from Hobby Lobby. I love that it both looks good but actually serves a functioning purpose. There’s also now a towel ring on the wall next to the vanity, but I took these pictures before Ryan put it up. I think you get the picture, though.

galvanized metal shelf from hobby lobbyfarmhouse-inspired half bathroom with shiplap and wood vanity top

The best part of shiplap wainscoting in our half bathroom is that Ryan was able to complete the whole thing in a weekend! This project is that easy and quick even for novice home DIY’ers. Now let’s see if I can convince him to do the same thing when we get around to renovating our laundry room … 😉

Are you a fan of shiplap? Do you have it anywhere in your home?

1. Amanda Peterson wrote:

What do your full baths look like? We are about to remodel ours, and would love to see yours for inspiration because I love your style!!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
    • Awe, thank you! Unfortunately, we haven’t been able to renovate our two full baths yet so I don’t have any pictures. Sorry!

Posted 1.28.19 Reply
  2. I love, love, love it!!!!

Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

Posted 12.1.17 Reply
  3. Jenn wrote:

It looks really good and totally goes with the rest of the decor in your bathroom!!

Posted 11.30.17 Reply
  4. This looks so great, and it sounds like it was fairly simple! I also like the little decor pieces you’ve added- really has the farmhouse feel! I haven’t really thought of adding any to our home, but now I am for the nursery:)

Posted 11.29.17 Reply
    • I bet you’re going to have so much fun with the nursery – I hope that you’ll share it when you’re finished!

Posted 11.30.17 Reply
  5. Kay R. wrote:

It looks sooo good!!!

Posted 11.29.17 Reply
  6. The shiplap looks so great in your half bath! And seriously where would we be without Pinterest? I swear there’s always a solution on there!

Posted 11.29.17 Reply

It turned out amazing! I can’t believe that isn’t real shiplap, it looks so good! And LOVE the sink area! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

Posted 11.29.17 Reply
  8. Everything looks great! Especially loving that sink and countertop space <3

Green Fashionista

Posted 11.29.17 Reply
  9. Caroline wrote:

Looks SO good! I think that you and Ryan may need your own DIY show on HGTV too! 😉

Posted 11.29.17 Reply
  10. Looks great!

Posted 11.29.17 Reply

I loved it when I saw it last week, but even more so now decorated for Xmas! The shiplap was the perfect touch for that space!

Posted 11.29.17 Reply

it really does give the space a nice finished look and that’s a great way to add a little something without having to remodel everything! xo, Biana –BlovedBoston

Posted 11.29.17 Reply
    • Exactly! We didn’t want to rip apart the whole room and start over. It really finishes everything off.

Posted 11.30.17 Reply