My First 5k Experience

Well, I did it! My first 5k experience was Saturday night, and not only did I accomplish my goal time but it was a ton of fun.

My First 5k Experience

In case you’re new around here, I’ve opened up recently about struggles with negative body image and how training for a 5k has helped to eliminate those unwanted feelings. I honestly can’t believe that nearly 12 weeks ago that I had zero interest/ability in running. Now, I can’t imagine my days without it! Running has been both a physical and sanity godsend for me.

Running a 5k has been on my bucket list for a couple years now. I’m both thrilled and proud that I finally can check it off! It was such a fun and rewarding experience. If you caught any of my Instagram stories Saturday night, you saw that it was a nighttime glow run. I think for my first race this was a fun element to keep things from being too serious. Although, I fully admit that I was nervous! Luckily, Ryan decided last-minute to run the race with me so I was happy to have the moral support and encouragement.

My goal was to not stop and finish in 30 minutes or roughly 10 minutes per mile. I didn’t stop once and came in right at 32 minutes, so I consider my goal met! My time probably would’ve been a little faster if I didn’t have to dodge around strollers and large groups of walkers/children. It also wasn’t the most organized race, so we ended up running an extra half lap before figuring out where the nonexistent finish line was. Not a big deal, but hopefully they’ll improve on that for next year.Β  I will say that going from a treadmill to running outside (hello, hills and incline!) was a bit of an adjustment, but it also made the time go way faster. 30 minutes felt like nothing! I also may have been thinking about our celebratory post-race pizza for motivation … πŸ˜‰

So, where do I go from here? More training and more races! I definitely want to build on my first 5k experience and continue to improve. I think a couple more 5ks would be good practice and experience, and then I hope to run a 10k in the near future. Other runners that I’ve talked to weren’t kidding – once you catch the runner’s high, it’s hard to stop!

Have you run a 5k? Any tips for my next race?

If you’re also a runner, you might like how I trained for my first 5k.

1. girl! so happy for you. those kind of races are too hard to have time goals, in my opinion, they are more about having fun, so your time is perfect! way to go! and yay for Ryan doing it at the last minute. I am so happy running has become such a joy for you. It is definitely addicting when you get that high. so happy for you!

Posted 8.4.17 Reply
    • awe, thanks, friend! i hope you know how much I appreciate your encouragement and support through all my body image crap. I admit that I was a bit bummed that it was more of a family run thing – they really didn’t advertise it that way – but like you said, I’m still happy with my time considering it wasn’t as “serious.” I already have my next one lined up, and I think that one is way more organized! I can’t believe running wasn’t a part of my life more than 12 weeks ago, it seriously has become such a good part of my life!

Posted 8.4.17 Reply
      • that is seriously so awesome!! when is the next one you have lined up? so happy for you!

Posted 8.7.17 Reply
  2. Katie Elizabeth wrote:

Congrats lady! It definitely is addicting! I ran a couple this spring for the first time too, and have already signed up for two more this fall!

Posted 8.3.17 Reply
  3. Ahhhh this makes me miss running SO much! Not stopping is huge, way to go! That’s awesome.

Posted 8.2.17 Reply
  4. Soooo proud of you girl! This is an awesome accomplishment. Sounds like the race was a little chaotic but fun.

Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

Posted 8.1.17 Reply
    • Awe, thank you, friend! That means a lot. It definitely was a little chaotic, so I’m going to look for a more organized race for my next one opposed to a family type thing.

Posted 8.1.17 Reply
  5. COngrats!! This is on my bucket list to do!!

Posted 8.1.17 Reply
  6. Kay R. wrote:

Congrats! I did my first one last year and it was tough for me but I made it. Good job lady!

Posted 7.31.17 Reply
  7. Way to go! That’s awesome. A 5K is on my bucket list too, but I just can’t get it together to run that far… fail. I like walking my 3 miles.

Zelle | Southern Style

Posted 7.31.17 Reply
  8. Congrats girlie! Love how far you’ve come, and what a fun event to kick off your first 5k at! Can’t wait to hear more about what’s next <3

Green Fashionista

Posted 7.31.17 Reply
  9. A wrote:

Congrats! I think it’s so great that you did this, especially with no real running experience. It’s really inspirational!

Posted 7.31.17 Reply
  10. Congrats on finishing your first 5K! It seriously does feel like the a huge accomplishment, and you should be so proud that you didn’t stop the whole time! And seriously going from running on a treadmill to running outside is so hard! Houston isn’t even that hilly, but I swear it always feels way different running up those small hills during a race! I hope that you sign up for some more 5Ks soon!

Posted 7.31.17 Reply
    • Thanks, girl! Running outside definitely was a different experience – I’m much more sore than I thought I would be! I’m already looking to see if there are any races come September, I’m definitely hooked.

Posted 7.31.17 Reply
  11. Looks like fun! Such an accomplishment!

Posted 7.31.17 Reply

I’m so proud of you, making the decision to train and run your first 5K is no small task and quite an accomplishment!

Posted 7.31.17 Reply
  13. Cassie Schelldorf wrote:

Welcome to the cult πŸ˜‰ I started running over a decade ago (for similar reasons/same goals) – I will never forget the feeling of running my first 5K without stopping and in 30:12 (ha! My watch time said 32 min, but my chip time was faster, so you may want to check yours). I ran a few more 5Ks and then I trained my first half…and then another, and another…six half marathons and countless 5Ks later, there’s nothing like a solid run to relieve my stress. I will recommend that you crosstrain and STRETCH. I’ve had numerous knee/hip injuries b/c I just ran every single day without a ton of crosstraining. Now I run 2-3x/week and do yoga or spin the other days. Also, if you lift, you’ll help strengthen your quads/glutes/core. Also, pls remember to change your shoes out every 3-500 miles. OK, off my soapbox πŸ™‚ Congrats and keep it up!

Posted 7.31.17 Reply
    • This is so awesome! We didn’t get a chip/there was no clock at this race, so I can’t confirm my time. My guess is it was a little faster than 32 minutes, but I’ll take it. I’m pretty vigilant about stretching, and I only run three days a week now so I am hoping to incorporate some other exercise either with those runs or on my “off” days. And, yes about the shoes! My brother is a triathlete so he’s always on my case about that. Do you have any recommendations? I have ASICS right now and am not totally in love with them. Thanks for all your tips and kind words!

Posted 7.31.17 Reply

So glad your first race was a success and you’re ready for your next one! I definitely think you met your goal πŸ™‚ xo, Biana-BlovedBoston

Posted 7.31.17 Reply

• To my #foreverweddingdate: thanks for always standing by my side, letting me dress you up once in a while, and posing for pictures outside my childhood home like it’s high school graduation day. I love you so much. πŸ˜‚β€οΈ #marriedlife #fridayfeels
  • It has been 84 years since it stopped raining in Wisconsin, so it seemed necessary to document the occasion. πŸ’πŸΌβ€β™€οΈ #thursdayvibes #loveloft
  • #Bookworms, rejoice! This is our kinda day! πŸ“š On #WorldBookDay, I simply want to say thank you to all authors. Your characters, stories and words change my life daily, and I can’t imagine a life without them. Happy reading to all! #bookstagram
  • β€œIt’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.” Alice, Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
β€’β€’β€’
β€’β€’β€’
  • Catalina Island is nothing short of enchanting. β˜€οΈ #catalinacasino #vacationmode #frommyview
  • California vacation part one: β˜‘οΈ. Thanks for the magic, memories and OG nostalgia Disneyland! #adultsatdisney #toontown #wallsofdisney