Top 5 Books of 2016 (According to Me)

Hello, hello! I hope that all of you had a wonderful holiday weekend. It’s hard to believe that it already has come and gone, and now we’re gearing up to ring in 2017! I know that many of us are looking back at the best of 2016, and there’s no denying that my love for reading came back strong this year. Out of the 50+ books that I read, I want to share the top 5 books of 2016 according to me.

Top 5 Books of 2016 According to Me

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
A story of two sisters trying to survive during World War II, Vianne and Isabelle couldn’t be more different but equally strong and heroic in their own ways. It has been a long time since a book has impacted me the way that this one did, and I still think back to the story even several months later. While Isabelle’s tenacity and need to make a difference are inspiring, Vianne’s quiet bravery is what struck me the most. As a wife and mother with her husband away at war, she struggles daily to keep not only herself alive but her daughter and those close to her. I think that she even surprises herself with how far she’s willing to go and the sacrifices that she makes to stay safe. If you haven’t yet read this book, I really encourage that you do!

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
All bets are off when Louisa Clark enters the life and world of Will Traynor. The story was equal parts inspiring and heartbreaking. It’s hard for me to put myself in Louisa’s shoes and deal with such a profound and controversial life event. It’s even more difficult to think about being in Will’s position both physically and mentally. This book left me assured, however, that all of us have the ability to impact someone’s life in a big or small way no matter how long we are in someone’s life.

Maybe in Another Life by Taylor Jenkins Reid
What choice would you make if you had the opportunity to live out the effects of two different decisions? That’s exactly what Hannah Martin gets to do, and both concurrent story lines give her life twists and turns. Taylor Jenkins Reid was a new-to-me author in 2016, and I am hooked on her writing style. This book was fun to reminisce about crossroads in my own life and what would’ve/could’ve happened if I made the opposite decision of what I did at the time. I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason, so I enjoyed that this story both questioned and reinforced that exact belief.

The Rainbow Comes and Goes: A Mother and Son on Life, Love and Loss by Anderson Cooper and Gloria Vanderbilt
As a son who’s mother is nearing the end of her life, Anderson Cooper and Gloria Vanderbilt open up a candid conversation with one another about life’s ups and downs that made them both who they are today. I’m not always one for nonfiction, but I flew through this book. Gloria Vanderbilt is without a doubt one of the most fascinating people that I’ve ever read and learned about. She led a life of scandal, heartbreak, success, happiness … you name it! It’s an eye opening look that just because someone is born into privilege and social status doesn’t mean that everything – or everyone around them – is perfect.

Breaking Up with Barrett by Katy Regnery
Barrett English hires his family’s gardener’s daughter, Emily Edwards, to stand in as his fiancee at important business functions to help make a better impression and connection with clients. But, will the two of them be able to keep each other at arms-length for long? You’re rooting for Barrett and Emily the entire time because they both are likeable characters, and it is suspected that both have had feelings for one another longer than they let on. I couldn’t help but include this book in my top five roundup. The story is ridiculously cheesy, but I loved it. It was a light-hearted read that simply made me feel good. Isn’t that what books should do? I plan to pick up the next books in this series in 2017 to see if they are (hopefully) just as enjoyable.

What are your favorite reads from 2016?

Linking up for Show Us Your Books.

1. Just looked up all of these on GoodReads and added Maybe in Another Life to my list!! I heard someone else talk about it too!

Caitlyn | http://www.collegewithcaitlyn.com

Posted 12.30.16 Reply
  2. Katie Tank wrote:

I just purchased Breaking up With Barrett (it is currently free on the kindle store) and The Nightingale! I am excited to begin reading these.

Posted 12.29.16 Reply
    • Yay, I’m glad it’s still free! (That’s how I got it, too). It’s definitely a guilty pleasure book that won’t win any awards anytime soon, but I enjoyed it. Happy reading!

Posted 12.29.16 Reply
  3. Your book rec’s are spot on, lady! My sister has been readying Me Before You and she’s been urging me to pick it up, too. 🙂

-Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

Posted 12.29.16 Reply
  4. Ashley wrote:

Me Before You is on my To Read list! I can’t wait to read it! It looks so amazing!

I loved “On My Own Two Feet” by Amy Purdy! So inspirational!

5. Emily Dunham wrote:

All these books sound great! I can see why you chose them as your top 5 of the year!

Posted 12.28.16 Reply
  6. I seriously need to read The Nightingale! It’s on everyone’s list!

Posted 12.28.16 Reply
  7. These all sound like some great reads!

Posted 12.28.16 Reply
  8. I loved The Nightingale and Vivanne was my favorite sister too. I read it in January or February and it still sticks with me, months later. I have not read Me Before You yet. I’m a little scared too. It’s almost built up to epic proportions in my mind! TJR is on my TBR but my library has a terrible selection of her books. Grrrr … Breaking Up with Barrett sounds like one of those light, good reads you need after something heavy. Adding it to my TBR!

Posted 12.28.16 Reply
    • Same with me with The Nightingale – I think I read it in March or April, and I think about it all the time. It just sticks with you. Try to ignore the hype of Me Before You and go into it with an open mind – that’s what I did, and I enjoyed it a lot more than I think I would’ve otherwise. Breaking Up with Barrett definitely is not an award-winning book, but sometimes we just need a cheesy romance novel!

9. Kristin wrote:

“Maybe In Another Life” made my best of the year list too.
    I read “Dispatches from the Edge” by Anderson Cooper several years ago…I really like him and his work.

Posted 12.28.16 Reply
    • Such a great book by him! I read that many years, too. Maybe in Another Life was such a cute read, definitely one of my favorite new authors.

10. The Adored Life wrote:

I only read one book in 2016 and it was about death fraud sooooooo that was interesting! I am curious about your picks so I may get them in audiobook form!

The Adored Life

Posted 12.28.16 Reply
  11. So I think I stumbled upon Breaking up with Barrett from one of those free or discounted ebook emails a while back and HAD to read it because Emily Edwards is my maiden name! This makes me want to go back and reread it:) The Nightingale definitely sounds like one I need to pick up.

Posted 12.28.16 Reply
    • That’s exactly where I found it – it was a BookBub freebie on day, and the premise sounded cute. I never thought I’d love it as much as I did. And, yes to The Nightingale!

Posted 12.28.16 Reply
  12. I loved The Nightingale and Me Before You. Maybe In Another Life is on my to read list, which I will hopefully read sooner than later!

Posted 12.27.16 Reply
  13. I think I might be ready for The Nightingale soon.

14. shootingstarsmag wrote:

I’ve only read Me Before You from your list, but thanks for sharing the others! I’m curious about Maybe in Another Life.

-Lauren

15. Heather H wrote:

I realllly enjoyed Me Before You, The Nightingale, and Maybe in Another Life. Have you read any of TJR’s other books? I love them all!!!

Posted 12.27.16 Reply
    • No, I haven’t yet, but they all are on my TBR list! My library doesn’t have the best selection of her books, so I may have to resort to buying them.

Posted 12.28.16 Reply
  16. Breaking Up With Barrett sounds so cute and I reaaaally need to suck it up and finally read The Nightingale. I’m sure I’ll love it, but I just keep putting it off because I don’t want to be sad!

Posted 12.27.16 Reply
    • It is such an amazing story! It has its sad moments, but I came away from it feeling inspired and touched more than anything.

Posted 12.28.16 Reply
  17. the nightingale <3 so happy to see it on so many people's list. so good! breaking up with barrett is on my kindle, can't wait to get to it!

Posted 12.27.16 Reply
    • I know, it makes me happy, too! Definitely my favorite from the year. I think you’ll like Breaking Up with Barrett since you loved Maid for Love – it has a similar writing style!

18. EdyeNicolesMakeup wrote:

I’m reading Me Before You right now and love it!!!

Blessings,
    Edye | Gracefulcoffee.com

Posted 12.27.16 Reply

I’ll definitely be reading Maybe in Another Life! Her other book One True Loves was my favorite read this year 🙂

20. Jessica wrote:

I passed this along to my brothers GF she reads so much 🙂 But it’s on my list to read more 🙂
    xo, Jessica || The Petite Diaries

Posted 12.27.16 Reply
  21. One of my top resolutions for 2017 is to read more! I haven’t read any of your top books, so I’m going to put them all on my list! 🙂 xo -L

Posted 12.27.16 Reply
  22. I love, LOVE TJR and it makes me so happy to see her on some favorites of 2016 lists!

Thanks for linking up with us!

Posted 12.27.16 Reply
    • You’re so right! She was new to me this year, but I’m definitely hooked. Can’t wait to read more from her!

Posted 12.28.16 Reply
  23. I haven’t read any of these. Looks like I have some catching up to do!

Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

24. Olya wrote:

I really need to read Maybe in Another Life now that I have LOVED One True Loves!

Posted 12.27.16 Reply
  25. The Nightingale and Me Before You were two of my favorites this year as well! I just loved them so much! My mom has talked about how good the Anderson Cooper and Gloria Vanderbilt book is, and hopefully I’ll read it soon. Breaking Up With Barrett sounds like such a cute book, and I’m definitely adding it to my list. And Taylor Jenkins Reid, I need to read one of her books! I’ve heard nothing but good things!

Posted 12.27.16 Reply
    • Yes, TJR became one of my favorite authors this year. I can’t wait to read a few of her other books! So glad to see The Nightingale getting so much love from everyone, it was such an amazing book.

Posted 12.28.16 Reply

I’m so glad you encouraged me to read The Nightingale, truly an outstanding read that really does stay with you. I also agree with The Rainbow Comes and Goes, another great read. Now I just have to read the other three!

Posted 12.27.16 Reply

Maybe in another life was such a great read – I devoured that book and became a Taylor Jenkins Reid fan!! xo, Biana –BlovedBoston

• Today was a good day to have a great day. ☀️ #happy #thursdaythoughts