7 Ideas to Get In the Holiday Spirit

Even though tomorrow only is Dec. 1, I already feel the hustle and bustle of the holiday season weighing me down. House decorations aren’t quite finished, shopping is nowhere near complete, and I haven’t even yet thought about busting out my apron to bake some cookies. While this definitely is my favorite time of year, I think we all can agree that it’s hectic and easily can slip by in the blink of an eye. As I’m more determined than ever to not let that happen (and hey, maybe even enjoy the festivities!), I came up with 7 ideas to get in the holiday spirit.

7 Ideas to Get in the Holiday Spirit

Cute mugs and cozy slippers go hand-in-hand this time of year! | Photo via Hello Fashion Blog

1. Schedule a shopping day. While many of us rely on the Internet for holiday shopping, it’s sometimes fun to still get out of the house and go to an actual store or mall. The decorations and a glimpse of Santa always make it feel more like the holidays are actually here. So, call your mom or best girlfriend – or heck, drag your husband or boyfriend along if they’re good sports – to play hookie and have a fun day of holiday shopping.

2. Have a tree decorating date night. If you’re anything like us, decorating the Christmas tree is a big deal. So, make a date night of it! I always make a pot of chili, and we have Elf on in the background while we hang our ornaments. It’s one of my favorite traditions, and we always seem to make new memories every year.

3. Take a drive to see the lights. There’s nothing better than Christmas lights, am I right? Driving around town to take in all the lights always is an instant mood-lifter. A hot chocolate from Starbucks sweetens the deal, and you even can wear sweatpants.

4. Go ice skating (or partake in some outdoor winter sporting activity). Ryan and I love to skate every winter! He grew up playing hockey, so he’s gotten me on the ice practically every year since we started dating. Outdoor rinks are our favorite, but an indoor rink will do the trick.

5. Host a cookie or gingerbread house decorating party. Not only will you make a dent in your holiday baking, you’ll get to have fun doing it with a group of people that you enjoy! Plus, who’s going to say no to Christmas cookies and treats? Not me, obviously.

6. Attend a local holiday production or event. There always seems to be something happening this time of year – whether it be a local tree lighting, performance of The Nutcracker, and so on. For us, it’s our visit to Nutcracker in the Castle.

7. Watch a different Christmas movie every night. Between Netflix, Hallmark and Freeform’s 25 Days of Christmas, this is probably the easiest idea on this whole list! You can turn a movie or show on while you’re baking, addressing cards or wrapping.

I probably could’ve created a mile-long list, but these 7 ideas to get in the holiday spirit are the first ones that came to mind and what I most look forward to every year. I hope this sparks some creativity for your own holiday to-do list!

How do you get into the holiday spirit? What’s on your to-do list?

1. oh yes to a glimpse of santa! seriously, i still wave at him even though i’m almost 30. it’s weird. i know. i had to laugh at your #7 and how it was the easiest.. i can barely convince KC to watch one christmas movie, let alone multiple. one day when we have kids i will put them on anyway, but as for right now he wants to watch Bad Santa and I want to watch The Santa Clause, so we do our own thing. we don’t really have any traditions either, and no christmas tree this year.

Posted 12.6.16 Reply
    • Can you believe that we’ve never seen Bad Santa? We always mean to watch it, and then never do. Maybe that will have to change. The Santa Clause was on Freeform last night, and I was thinking of you from this comment. 🙂

Posted 12.7.16 Reply
      • i can believe it and i honestly wish i could wipe it from my memory. haha. not my kind of movie.

Posted 12.7.16 Reply
  2. Laura wrote:

Yes, I love all of these things! I’m watching Miracle on 34th Street right now, love all the holiday movies!

Posted 12.2.16 Reply
  3. Esther wrote:

These are all great ideas, I wanna do all of them! We already started watching Christmas movies with my friends, and it’s definitely a great way to get in the holiday spirit! Thank you for sharing and have a wonderful day!

xo, Esther

Posted 12.1.16 Reply
  4. I want to do all of these! How fun! I agree that activities like these really do put you in the holiday spirit.

Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

5. Jenny wrote:

I love your list… and that mug! 🙂 There’s so much to do this month, but what a fun month it is.

Posted 12.1.16 Reply

These are the best! Derek and I are having a “shopping day” tomorrow and hoping to finish things up! Looking at lights is the best – I always love seeing what other people do and they are so pretty to see!

Posted 12.1.16 Reply
    • Ryan is off work this weekend, so I’m also hoping that we get out for a shopping day. Have fun, you two!

7. Stacy wrote:

Finally got to Oshkosh for the Nutcracker in the Castle! It was amazing. So much fun and definitely got me in the holiday spirit. Hoping your holidays go well this year!

Posted 11.30.16 Reply
    • Hooray! How fun! I’m so glad that you loved it. We are going tomorrow, and I cannot wait. It’s become my new favorite part of the holiday.

Posted 12.1.16 Reply
  8. I would love to host a cooking baking/decorating party! My husband and I love driving around to look at lights, too.

Posted 11.30.16 Reply

I wish we could host a blogger friends Christmas cookie decorating party, wouldn’t that be so fun! 🙂

Posted 11.30.16 Reply
  10. I think these are a fabulous idea! We go up North around the holidays because it is really difficult to get in the spirit when it’s so warm out and you know Florida lol

Posted 11.30.16 Reply
    • Ha, I can’t even imagine! Ryan and I always joke that we would love to live in California because duh, warm weather all the time, but then we probably would miss the seasons and feeling like it’s Christmas.

11. Megan Anne ❄️ wrote:

These are such good ideas to get in the holiday spirit!! ?✨???

Posted 11.30.16 Reply
  12. All of these are such great ways to get into the holiday spirit! We always love decorating our tree together and always listen to Christmas music while we’re decorating. We haven’t had the chance to watch any Christmas movies yet, but I’m hoping for a Christmas movie marathon sometime soon!

Posted 11.30.16 Reply
  13. How cute are those reindeer slippers?! So many amazing ideas, YES to all the Christmas movies and a gingerbread house decorating party <3

Green Fashionista

Posted 11.30.16 Reply
    • I know, I think I need to order those slippers. So cute for this time of year. Yay for all the Christmas movies!

Posted 12.1.16 Reply
  14. Love the ice skating idea! We always go out for a really nice dinner date night and walk around downtown all lit up, and ice skating will be the perfect after dinner activity 🙂

Posted 11.30.16 Reply
    • Yes, love that! Perfect little winter date night, especially for you guys when date night is even more special these days I’m sure!

Posted 12.1.16 Reply
  15. Love this! I always want to do all the fun holiday related activities but by the time December comes around, we’re too busy to stop and enjoy it! This makes me want to even more 🙂

Posted 11.30.16 Reply
  16. SO many cute ideas! Love this time of year!

Posted 11.30.16 Reply
  17. Love these ideas! I can’t wait to decorate our tree this weekend! I’ve been itching to get it up this year! I think I could listen to Christmas music all year round and never get sick of it!

Posted 11.30.16 Reply
    • Yay! I have our living room tree up and decorated, and we just put up our family room tree last night to shape it. We’ll be decorating it Saturday night. Hope you guys have fun with the kiddos!

Posted 12.1.16 Reply
  18. I love these ideas! I’m afraid the holiday season is going to go by so quickly, so I’ve made a list like this for my husband and I. I’m really looking forward to decorating our Christmas tree while drinking hot chocolate!

Carrie | http://carrieelise.com/

Posted 11.30.16 Reply
    • Good for you! Sometimes making a list is the best way to make sure that you take time to enjoy all the season has to offer.

Posted 12.1.16 Reply

These are all great ideas to make the holidays fun! It’s so easy to get caught up in our to-do lists this time of year and not take the time to really enjoy it. I would love to do all these things, except maybe the ice skating – I’m too old to enjoy the cold anymore, haha!

Posted 11.30.16 Reply
  20. These are all great ideas. The holiday season is one my other favorite time of year here. I love how even the office buildings are decorated and everything is just pretty. 🙂 Thanks again for sharing and I hope that you are having a great week so far!

Posted 11.30.16 Reply
  21. So many good ideas– I love your tradition of decorating the tree! Ice skating is probably the only thing I like to do outside when it’s cold, haha, so I always look forward to going every year!

Posted 11.30.16 Reply
    • You and me both, lol! I hate the cold, but I do oddly love to ice skate, especially outside. I bet it’s so fun by you!

22. Ashley wrote:

We do the same thing when decorating the tree! I love doing it together every year and picking out a holiday movie to watch!

Posted 11.30.16 Reply

This is totally in line with my post today!! Great minds 🙂 We already have all our decor up – but we do it on the Saturday after Thanksgiving with music on in the background and talking about all our ornaments 🙂 xo, Biana –BlovedBoston

Posted 11.30.16 Reply
    • We are decorating our tree Saturday since Ryan had to work last weekend – we love to reminisce about all our ornaments, too! And, I’m telling you – your post made me want to visit Boston ASAP.

• Today was a good day to have a great day. ☀️ #happy #thursdaythoughts