The Fall Cut

I’ve been in a weird space lately. I’m not exactly sure why, but I think it’s partly because of the inevitable end to summer. This time of year always makes me itch for change. I want to revamp our home decor, switch out my closet, and just simply start fresh in all aspects. This year, more so than past years for some reason, I’m also eagerly in the market for a makeover. More specifically, in the hair department. I seem to go through a similar cycle every year – I work hard to grow my hair long, and I love it. Then, in a blink of an eye, I’m sick of my long hair and want to chop it. If you follow me on Twitter (@msinthemidwest), then you know that I’ve been gearing up for my hair appointment next week, so I want to share my inspiration for the fall cut.

The Fall Cut

all images via Pinterest – check out my hair inspiration board

Some of you might be thinking, “But, this isn’t that drastic of a change from what you have now, Karly!” Yeah, yeah – I know. But, any haircut where I plan to take more than an inch off the bottom is a big deal to me.

As I get older, I’m learning to embrace and work with what I have. I have fine hair, but A LOT of it, and it’s stick straight. As a result, I don’t like a lot of fuss with my hair. I want to be able to blow dry it with a round brush and be ready to go. I rarely curl my hair because it takes too much effort and products to get it to stay. I still love my hot thermal brush, but the results have been different since my hair is longer.

I’m pretty much obsessed with Kim’s – from The Kensington Way – hair. The blunt ends and minimal layering are simple but refreshing and easy to style. Plus, even though it’s a shorter length, it still looks long enough to pull back into a pony tail (a must-have requirement for how often I go to the gym), and it still is very feminine. One of my biggest hesitations with going a tad shorter again is that I’ll miss the “girly feeling” that my long hair gives me now. That, and I don’t want to emphasize my facial features in an unflattering manner. I struggle most days with not having as thin of a face as I once did, so I don’t want a haircut that will make me feel like my face is rounder than it already is.

So, that’s where I’m at with inspiration for the fall cut. I’m still not sure that I’ll go through with it. We just scheduled professional photos for October, so I don’t want to do anything that I’ll regret and not like in photos. But, since I’m not getting much style out of my long hair these days, I might just have to push myself outside my comfort zone and go for it! #YOLO

Do you change your hair for a new season? What do you think of the fall cut inspiration?

1. I go through the same process of wanting to grow it long then getting sick of it and chopping it all off. I think that your new cut looks great though!

Posted 9.3.16 Reply
  2. You would rock any of these styles so well! Hair cuts are never too noticeable on me, but I’ve almost envied girls that get to analyze and think deeply about it. I’m excited to see what you get!

Posted 8.29.16 Reply
  3. Kelsey wrote:

I think this would look great on you! I love growing my hair out but then I definitely get the itch to chop it off too!

Posted 8.29.16 Reply
  4. I’m the same as you, sometimes I’m just itching for a massive change! I cut mine off last winter in a similar blunt long bob and loved it. I’m growing it out again now, but that’s just the way it goes. I think you should definitely do it!

Posted 8.27.16 Reply
  5. I think that any of those cuts would look fantastic on you. My hair so thick I never know what to do with it haha. Have a wonderful weekend!! 🙂

Posted 8.27.16 Reply
  6. I say go for it! Your inspiration photos are gorgeous, and will all look amazing on you!

Green Fashionista

Posted 8.26.16 Reply

I think this cut would look very cute on you!

Posted 8.26.16 Reply
  8. Ashley wrote:

I love this cut and think it would love so cute on you!

Posted 8.26.16 Reply

I think this cut would look gorgeous on you!! I want to do something different like this, but I know I dont have the guts…yet!

Posted 8.25.16 Reply
    • You are the sweetest, thank you! I’m never sure what haircut will look good on me, lol. Your have the most amazing hair – pretty sure any style would/will look great on you!

Posted 8.28.16 Reply
  10. Love that look!

Posted 8.25.16 Reply
  11. Amy wrote:

Loving your hair! I wish I had the nerve to cut mine, it just grows sooooooo slow!

Coffee Beans and Bobby Pins

Posted 8.25.16 Reply
  12. I’ve been admiring all the gorgeous lobs I’ve seen on celebs + other bloggers… But I can’t bring myself to cut my hair! Mostly because I so rarely blow it out, and I don’t think it would dry naturally very pretty if I cut it, you know what I mean? But I’m so excited for your new cut! I can’t wait to see it!

-Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

Posted 8.25.16 Reply
    • Thanks, lady! I totally get what you’re saying – I blow dry my hair almost everyday because I don’t have the patience for it to air dry, lol. You have such gorgeous hair!

Posted 8.28.16 Reply
  13. i used to love long hair but – i think we’ve talked about this before lol – my hair just won’t do anything past a certain length. it’s long right now, longer than i’ve had it in a couple of years – and my curls are dropping and my buns are too floppy.. i like it to be about shoulder length or a bit lower. i have fine hair too, but not a lot of it unfortunately. the longer it gets, the grosser it looks haha. shorter hair for the win 😉

Posted 8.25.16 Reply
    • Haha, yes I’m pretty sure we have had that conversation! I feel like mine is the same way, it’s not getting any longer but just heavier. It’s definitely time for a cut.

Posted 8.28.16 Reply
  14. Loving all this inspiration! I think you should totally go for it! New season, new style 😉

Posted 8.25.16 Reply
  15. Anna Wagner wrote:

It sounds like we have very similar hair (though I’d definitely not as good at styling mine!). I got a similar hair cut to what you’re thinking this summer and love it. I’m excited to grow it back out as it’s been a bit since I’ve had long hair now but I like this style now and that it can still go in a ponytail. I get the same way where I love having it long but I tend to get instantaneous itches to chop off a few inches, typically around a change (seasons, new job, etc).

Posted 8.25.16 Reply
    • Yes! I’m glad I’m not the only one. I’m just so ready for a change, and I think a cut like this will be a lot less maintenance.

Posted 8.28.16 Reply
  16. It sounds like you’re being so practical before you make your decision– being shorter, but still able to go into a ponytail! I think you should totally go for it!

Posted 8.25.16 Reply
  17. Emily Dunham wrote:

I have a hair appointment this afternoon and I go back and forth on wanting to make a change. I have worked so hard to grow my hair out though! The first picture inspo is one of my favorite – pretty sure I have that pinned somewhere. Good luck deciding – I think this type of cut would look great on you if you decide to go for it!

Posted 8.25.16 Reply