Kitchen Renovation | 7 Weeks In

Our kitchen renovation officially has hit the seven-week mark. Seven. Long. Weeks. While we still have a few more weeks to go, here’s where we are at with our kitchen renovation seven weeks in.

Kitchen Renovation 7 Weeks In

I definitely didn’t bother to clean things up too much before I took these photos – when you’re living in a construction zone, clutter is simply the name of the game. #truth

I haven’t posted progress photos since demo day, so unless you follow me on Snapchat (msinthemidwest), then this is your first look at our new cabinets! What a difference, right?! I occasionally still have to remind myself where we started – it’s hard to even imagine those bulky 90s-style oak cabinets in the space.

If any of you have lived through a major home renovation, then you know and can understand the frustration when things don’t go according to plan or the timeline. I’ve had to continually remind myself of that fact throughout the past few weeks. See, we could be a lot further, but one of the cabinets arrived damaged and had to be replaced. And, it wasn’t just any cabinet – it had to be the corner cabinet on the other side of the fridge, which meant that none of the crown molding, under-cabinet lighting, etc., could go up or be installed until the new cabinet arrived. That process ultimately took another four weeks, and the cabinet finally went in last week.

On the bright side, the space is at last usable! The appliances are up and running, our beautiful quartz counter tops were installed last week, and we finally have running water. While we’re still eating off paper plates and using plastic utensils – we were told not to put all our stuff away in the cabinets quite yet – it’s basically a luxury to eat in our own home again. Granted, we’ve only made bread sticks and a frozen pizza, but hey – it beats take out.

Kitchen Renovation 7 Weeks InKitchen Renovation 7 Weeks InKitchen Renovation 7 Weeks In

The last “big” part that we’re still waiting on is the installation of our back splash. We were hoping that that was going to occur this week, but again, nothing ever seems to go according to plan with these projects. So, we’re currently on the schedule for next week, and I’m going to cheer when the last person walks out of the house and I don’t have to revolve my schedule around workers anymore!

Otherwise, our contractor is back from vacation this week and will get back to work on all the details – crown molding, toe kicks, touch up paint, etc. I have drafted quite the list for him, so I’m sure he will be just thrilled with me. I’m definitely not going to apologize for that, though – the details are what finish a space and make it feel complete.

Thanks for hanging in there with me through all of this – I cannot wait for the final reveal!

Have you lived through a kitchen renovation? Any tips on how to survive the final few weeks?

1. mdb0112 wrote:

Your kitchen looks AMAZING! I love that sink! And the built in wine rack over your fridge! Perfect! xo, Champagne&Suburbs

Posted 7.21.16 Reply
  2. It looks so much cleaner and bigger! We have those bulky oak cabinets too and were considering just painting them, but after seeing this I think I want a fresh start!

Posted 7.15.16 Reply
  3. oh my gosh! it looks amazing. i can’t imagine how frustrating it is to live through something like this, but yay for being at the home stretch now! we’ve never done a big home renovation, we did the floors but that didn’t really disrupt our lives too much. i love that sink!

Posted 7.15.16 Reply
  4. It’s looking soooo so good! Drooling over your farmhouse sink – totally worth the splurge!

Posted 7.14.16 Reply
  5. Living in a construction zone has gotta be tough- I’d be going nuts! You’re taking it all in stride. πŸ™‚ And the kitchen is looking amazing- can’t wait to see more!

-Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

Posted 7.14.16 Reply

It is looking SO great – so bright and fresh!! My Dad renovated our kitchen at the cottage himself, he started in August I think and planned to have it finished in the fall, but didn’t get back home until Christmas Eve! Things never go exactly according to plan! Hang in there, you know it will be 100% worth it when you can move all your stuff back in and enjoy your dream kitchen!

Posted 7.14.16 Reply
  7. MΓ³nica Sors wrote:

Very nice one πŸ˜‰
    xx
    MΓ³nica Sors
    MES VOYAGES Γ€ PARIS
    NEW POST: SUMMER MAXI DRESS

Posted 7.14.16 Reply
  8. Jessi Otey wrote:

Our kitchen reno was the biggest part of the entire renovation I feel like, whew! I’m definitely thinking about ya but also, how exciting? Can’t wait to see!

Posted 7.13.16 Reply
  9. Ah, I enjoy watching renovations. It’s inspiring and fun to see something blah transforming into something spectacular. More photos please! πŸ™‚

Posted 7.13.16 Reply
  10. Everything is looking amazing!! I love how bright it feels. I know what you mean about timelines and the kitchen would be especially tough to have under construction that long. You’ve got this!

Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

Posted 7.13.16 Reply
  11. Your kitchen looks so beautiful! The countertops and the cabinets go together perfectly, and everything looks so much brighter now! I can’t even imagine how much of a pain a big reno like that is, but it looks like everything was completely worth it!

Posted 7.13.16 Reply
    • It has been worth it so far – I’ll be happy when people don’t have to come to the house for a while! (Workers, that is) and, I can’t take credit for the countertops – Ryan picked them out!

Posted 7.14.16 Reply
  12. Everything is looking amazing so far, I love how clean and crisp everything looks! Hang in there, and yay for it at least being usable!
    Green Fashionista

Posted 7.13.16 Reply
  13. I want your kitchen. I love all the white, and can’t wait to see it with the backsplash added. It so classy and beautiful!

14. Emily Dunham wrote:

GORGEOUS! I cannot wait to see the end product. It is such a huge difference and looks so, so lovely!

15. Ashley wrote:

Y’alls kitchen looks SO good and the backsplash is going to tie everything in together perfectly!

Posted 7.13.16 Reply

It is gorgeous!! Obsessed with your sink (on my wish list for our next house) and the color combos are beautiful – You’ve done a great job!

Posted 7.13.16 Reply
  17. I never thought I’d see the day where I am insanely jealous of a gorgeous farm sink! It is coming together beautifully!

Posted 7.13.16 Reply
  18. Everything has come together so well and it looks amazing!!

19. Wow!! It looks so great! Can’t wait to see the final reveal πŸ™‚

Posted 7.13.16 Reply

It looks amazing!! I love those appliances and the wine rack above the fridge is perfect! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

21. Chesson Parker wrote:

Your kitchen is looking so good so far! Can’t wait to see the finished product!

Posted 7.13.16 Reply

The kitchen looks amazing, can’t believe the total transformation! Love, love it all!! I know it’s been a process and things didn’t always go as planned, but totally worth it! Enjoy!

Posted 7.13.16 Reply
  23. Your kitchen looks great! Definitely worth the hard work and patience! Can’t wait to see the backsplash!

Posted 7.13.16 Reply

Everything looks great girl! I love the appliances you picked out – the colors of the kitchen are so great!! xo, biana –BlovedBoston