5.2.16 38

Saturday Style 11 | Little Black Midi T-Shirt Dress

You know that feeling that you get when you’re out shopping and you spot a piece of clothing or an accessory that you don’t even think twice about before picking it up and walking straight to checkout? That’s exactly how I felt with this simple black dress.

Little Black Midi T-Shirt Dress

I picked it up off the rack, didn’t try it on (I opted for a small, so I really was taking a gamble and hoping for the best), and threw it on right when I got home only to confirm all the positive vibes that were floating around it in the store.

Little Black Midi T-Shirt DressLittle Black Midi T-Shirt DressLittle Black Midi T-Shirt Dress

The material alone is why I know I will be wearing this dress all summer long . It’s buttery soft and flattering in all the right places – basically like throwing on your favorite pair of jeans and a tee. I’m also a huge fan of midi-length dresses. While I wouldn’t exactly consider myself tall (I’m 5’8″), I do have a long torso and I’m a bit self-conscious about my legs, so I’m happy to wear dresses that still show a little something but not too much. I also welcome the short sleeves to hide my upper arms and keep a classic silhouette for any occasion.

Little Black Midi T-Shirt Dress

Little Black Midi T-Shirt Dress

Like all black dresses, this one is going to be a complete workhorse in my wardrobe. I love that I can throw on a pair of espadrilles and a jean jacket for a casual weekend outing, but I also can’t wait to dress this piece up a bit with heels or wedges and statement jewelry for date night. The possibilities are endless!

Little Black Midi T-Shirt DressLittle Black Midi T-Shirt Dress

dress (similar) | denim jacket | purse (similar) | espadrilles | necklace via Rocksbox (get a month free with code msinthemidwestxoxo at checkout)

In other news, how was your weekend? We made some progress on painting the windows in the kitchen – it still seems like our kitchen renovation is far away, but now that May has arrived it will be here before we know it! I also made significant progress on my Gilmore Girls marathon – I haven’t seen the show from the beginning in a long time, so it’s fun to re-watch all the episodes and fall in love with the characters all over again. Plus, it helps pass the time while painting!

How was your weekend? Are you a fan of black dresses? How do you style yours?

Linking up with Biana & Meghan

1. girl this dress is fabulous and looks like it was made for you. where’d you get it from, if the one you linked was similar?

Published 5.3.16
    • Thanks, lady – that’s so sweet! It seriously is so comfortable and very forgiving in the flattering department. 🙂 I found it at the Gap Outlet of all places!

Published 5.3.16

You can never go wrong with a LBD but I love the midi style on you! Such a great piece that I’m sure will work well in multiple seasons. Your necklace choice is the perfect compliment!

Published 5.3.16
  3. This is such a great dress – sooo versatile, you’ll be able to wear it with everything! I’m thinking Gilmore Girls might be my summer binge watch 🙂

Published 5.3.16
    • Yes, do it! I’ve had so much fun watching it again. And, I can’t wait to wear this dress for pretty much anything and everything!

Published 5.3.16
  4. Miranda M. Nahmias wrote:

That looks SO cute on you! The midi length for you is so perfect. Not sure that I could ever pull it off haha, but you have a great frame for it. Thanks for this adorable outfit post, Karly! I just followed you on Bloglovin’ 🙂

— Miranda Nahmias, http://themillennialwife.com

Published 5.2.16
  5. Cute, classic, and perfectly paired with that necklace and denim jacket!

Published 5.2.16
  6. Love that little black dress, and that’s awesome that you were able to grab it right off the rack! A LBD is always a good idea in my book, and I love the fact that this one is a little more casual and you can dress it up or down!

Published 5.2.16
    • I know, the fabric and short sleeves (I promise they’re under the jacket 🙂 ) were my selling points for the dress. I plan to get tons of wear out of it!

Published 5.2.16
  7. I love it! So versatile!

Published 5.2.16
  8. This is the cutest! I love the midi-length!

Zelle
    Southern Style

Published 5.2.16
  9. The ultimate versatile dress! Love that bag!

Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

Published 5.2.16
  10. Cute outfit! Love that bag!

11. Love how cozy-chic this dress is, perfect for spring and summer <3

Green Fashionista

12. Emily Dunham wrote:

Love your dress! So versatile and classic!!

Published 5.2.16

Love this dress on you, it looks so comfortable! You show that such a simple piece can be styled to look fabulous. Beautiful makeup too!

Published 5.2.16
  14. This dress is PERFECT on you!!! I love it. Love how you styled it too. That necklace is pretty and love that lip color on you. It also reminds me me of this black dress that I have seriously had since freshman year of college from Old Navy. It is super comfy and I love dressing it up or down. Thanks for sharing and YAY for May being here!! 🙂

Published 5.2.16
    • You’re so sweet, thank you! Always nice to find an ultra comfy and flattering piece for the warmer months.

Published 5.2.16
  15. LOVE this look. t-shirt dresses are the easiest thing to wear, and now I want to get a new statement necklace to wear because it looks so good how you styled it!

Published 5.2.16
    • Thanks, lady! I normally would’ve worn a longer tassel or lariat-type necklace with this, but I couldn’t resist the colors of that necklace – so pretty!

Published 5.2.16
  16. I love the look with the jean jacket! I feel like that would still be comfy enough to wear on the weekends, but still look put together.

Published 5.2.16
    • Absolutely! I might do a post in the future of a few different ways to style it, I seriously think it’s so versatile.

Published 5.2.16
  17. I pinned that side view with the dress and purse…..so gorgeous love it!!!! Yes girl I have about 10 black dresses and I would still buy more, they just work for everything.

Published 5.2.16

I love the length of the dress and with that white purse for summer is perfect! xo, biana –BlovedBoston

Published 5.2.16

Such a perfect outfit! That dress is so perfect and love it with the espadrilles! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes