Family Room Reveal

family room reveal

Finally, after many, many months of broken promises to all of you that I would be sharing this room reveal soon, it’s finally here! Ladies and ‘gents, I present to you our beautifully renovated family room.

Well, first we have to back up because no room reveal is as dramatic unless you look at where it started. We moved into our home right before Christmas 2014, hence the tree and stockings. These are the only before photos that I ever took! #fail

Look at all that dark oak wood! The heavy ceiling beams! The massively large built-ins that extended past the fireplace hearth! It seriously blows my mind (and makes me slightly cringe) when I reflect back on this is how this room looked when we bought the house. But, the bones and space always were here – we just needed to update the furnishings and decor to bring it all into the 21st century.

Now the space is light, bright and airy – everything that I hoped it would be. Keep in mind, Ryan did all of this himself – the base cabinets for the built-ins were pre-made kitchen wall cabinets from Menard’s, and then he built the shelves on top of those. Not too shabby, huh? The mantel also is just a few cedar boards nailed together – it’s my favorite accent in the entire room.

family room reveall
family room reveal
family room reveal

Since the room is so square and the one wall is filled with gorgeous floor to ceiling windows, I knew that I wanted to have a little sitting area in front of the window that faced the couch to encourage conversation when we have guests over. I also added three large mirrors above the couch to help reflect even more light – I think it worked!

family room reveal
family room reveal
family room reveal
family room reveal
family room reveal
family room reveal
family room reveal

I provided a source list for the major items in the room and tried to link to as many of the products as possible. If you have any specific questions about where to find a specific decor item, don’t hesitate to reach out!

Source list:
Wall paint: Sherwin Williams, Alpaca
White paint: Pittsburgh Grand Distinction (available at Menard’s)
Couch: Ashley Furniture Home Store
Accent chairs: Wayfair
Coffee table: Bristol Lane Creations (custom-built by my dad)
End table (couch): Target
Accent table (between chairs): Target
X Mirrors: Kohl’s
Floor lamp: Target
Curtains: Pottery Barn
Cabinet pulls: Home Depot
Oversized wall clock: Overstock
Palette quote sign: Framed Decor (also check out Candace’s blog!)
All small decor accents primarily from TJMaxx, Pier 1 and Hobby Lobby (or, I already had it)

Check out our other room reveals and home inspiration:

1. This is an amazing transformation! I love the clean, crisp and airy feel of the room! Great job! Xo, Stephanie

Posted 3.9.16 Reply
  2. How do you like those dark chairs?!?
    I’m seriously considering a purchase, but I’m a comfort fanatic (with a real need for style… first world problems)

Posted 3.8.16 Reply
  3. EdyeNicolesMakeup wrote:

It looks beautiful! I love the scripture wall art <3

Blessings,
    Edye // Gracefulcoffee.wordpress.com

Posted 3.1.16 Reply
  4. Love love love!! It turned out so perfect! And major props to Ryan – the built ins look awesome!

Posted 2.29.16 Reply
  5. Jessica wrote:

This room is pure greatness. I love how open and all the light!! It’s perfection 🙂
    xo, Jessica || The Petite Diaries

Posted 2.29.16 Reply
  6. Jess wrote:

Hey! i just found your blog over on Christina Lea Loves and when I scrolled down to see this, I think it’s safe to say I fell in love. Coincedentally, I’m in the middle of a living room redo, and I have a beam running across the middle of my ceiling that connects to the wall running up the stairs. I am between SW Alpaca and Popular Grey! I’m torn between finding the perfect greige. Gorgeous!!

xox

Posted 2.29.16 Reply
    • I’m so glad that you decided to stop by! I actually think Popular Grey is what we’re going to repaint our bedroom to (it’s currently SW Knitting Needles). Alpaca truly is the perfect light grey in my opinion – we used it in our living room/dining room, too. Good luck with your space!

Posted 2.29.16 Reply
  7. sigh. it is gorgeous. now come do my house. yours is so pretty!

Posted 2.25.16 Reply
  8. It looks beautiful! Y’all did a great job! I love the color scheme!

Posted 2.25.16 Reply
  9. I literally just gasped aloud. I am so impressed! It looks straight out of Pinterest! You did such a beautiful job!

Posted 2.25.16 Reply
    • Thank you so much, sweet friend! I’m glad that all our hard work paid off – it took a while to get it to all come together.

Posted 2.29.16 Reply
  10. Vanessa wrote:

What a transformation!! So bright and happy!

Posted 2.25.16 Reply
  11. Omg it’s amazing!!!

Posted 2.24.16 Reply
  12. This room is beautiful! We have/had so much of that same dark oak in our house so I can totally relate to that being cringeworthy!

Posted 2.24.16 Reply
  13. This room is absolutely gorgeous, what an amazing transformation! I love how bright and clean it is now <3
    Green Fashionista

14. Emily B. wrote:

It looks gorgeous! I love the soft colors you used.

Posted 2.24.16 Reply
  15. This looks amazing! The bright white makes it look so open and airy, and you’re so lucky to have so many windows! What a great space!

Posted 2.24.16 Reply
    • Thanks, lady! I love the big windows in that room so we can see out into our backyard, which is all wooded.

Posted 2.29.16 Reply
  16. Your living room looks gorgeous! It’s so amazing how changing the wall colors and painting the wood can make such a huge difference! Your mantle is beautiful too!

Posted 2.24.16 Reply

Beautiful!!! Absolutely love it 🙂 Good job!

Posted 2.24.16 Reply
  18. Wow!!! This looks amazing!

19. Living on Cloud Nine wrote:

Absolutely stunning! This should definitely be on some kind of episode on HGTV!

Posted 2.24.16 Reply
    • You are so sweet, what a compliment! I’m not sure if it’s up there with those types of room transformations, but we are sure proud of it. Thank you!

Posted 2.29.16 Reply

I know firsthand how beautiful that room is! Ryan did a fantastic job doing the building, and you did a fantastic job decorating! Truly a dramatic before/after transformation!

21. Jenn wrote:

I love how light and bright it is! Doing the white instead of the oak was a GREAT decision! And I love that set of three mirrors you have on the wall–where did you get them?

22. Owen Davis wrote:

The natural light is amazinggg! What a beautiful room!

23. Wonderful job!! You guys have a lovely home! 🙂

Posted 2.24.16 Reply

OMG! I turned out so amazing! I love how bright it is and those darker chairs… LOVE! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

Posted 2.24.16 Reply

You guys did such an incredible job! It looks so light and airy – so inviting! xo, Biana –BlovedBoston

• Today was a good day to have a great day. ☀️ #happy #thursdaythoughts