Closet Mudroom Reveal

closet mudroom reveal

I’ve teased our latest DIY home project on Snapchat (msinthemidwest) for months, and today I’m excited to finally share a few photos of our closet mudroom!

For a little trip down memory lane, here’s a photo of this hallway right after we moved in. Those large folding doors to the left are the entry to the closet.

With the garage door straight ahead, you probably can assume my issue with this space – if we had the doors open to the closet, nobody could come in or out through the garage without banging into the doors. And, since we don’t exactly have a traditional entryway or mudroom area, there’s no place to sit down to put on or take off shoes and coats except the stairs.

So, off the closet doors came and Ryan made my closet mudroom dreams a reality!

This space is everything that I ever hoped it would be – Ryan really did a great job of taking mental notes of different pictures that I showed him of what I wanted and didn’t want and combined all of that into the space that we now have. He even custom-built those drawers underneath the bench for extra storage of shoes and miscellaneous items!

Just like every other project that we’ve tackled to-date in our home, this is another space that meets my top two requirements – pretty and functional (in that order, too).

Source list:
Wall paint: Sherwin Williams Zurich White
Stain color: Minwax in Dark Walnut (we did two coats of stain on the bench top and drawers)
Drawer pulls: Menards
Throw pillow: Craftberrybush via Society6
Baskets: World Market
Wall hooks: Target

Linking up with Jenn & Jessi

1. mdb0112 wrote:

That is awesome! I need someone to do this in our house! xo, Champagne&Suburbs

Posted 1.17.16 Reply

This is too perfect! I’m so impressed that Ryan did it all! The pillow is the perfect touch and perfect for where you are!

Posted 1.14.16 Reply
  3. Jessica wrote:

This looks great and I’m so happy you have one. I’m def going to need one when I buy a home!
    xo, Jessica || The Petite Diaries

Posted 1.14.16 Reply
  4. Jessi Otey wrote:

ummm come do mine!!!!

Posted 1.13.16 Reply
  5. This is amazing! I am so impressed with Ryan’s skills – can he come make one of these in my house please?! LOVE!

6. Lindsey wrote:

Love this! It’s the perfect mud room space!

7. Emily Dunham wrote:

This is gorgeous! What a transformation! The colors are so fresh and neutral, you know it is something you will love for a long time. I love all the extra storage you got, as well as the space for coats and a seat. I would love to have something similar in my own place!

Posted 1.13.16 Reply
    • Extra storage and functionality was super important to me in that space since we essentially eliminated a hidden front closet. I couldn’t be happier with it!

Posted 1.14.16 Reply
  8. Absolutely LOVE what you did with the space! So fresh and inviting! And totally obsessing over that pillow <3

Green Fashionista

Posted 1.13.16 Reply
  9. this is seriously amazing. i’m so jealous! KC could totally do this but we don’t have a garage or anywhere for us to do it. next house for sure! your house is fabulous, hope you show more!

Posted 1.13.16 Reply
    • Awe, thanks lady! I’m definitely planning on sharing the family room (finally) soon. Just finishing up some last decorating touches.

Posted 1.14.16 Reply
  10. Ashley wrote:

This turned out amazing Karly!! Seriously looks professionally done!

Posted 1.13.16 Reply
  11. Looks absolutely gorgeous! Straight out of a pinterest inspiration board!

12. CharminglyStyled wrote:

Get it GIRL! This is gorgeous – and such a dramatic before and after! Congrats! xx

Posted 1.13.16 Reply
  13. I am In love with this idea! We have such an awkward entryway- showing this to my husband tonight!
    And nice work you two! Gorgeous.

Posted 1.13.16 Reply

This is seriously STUNNING! The colours, the functionality, it literally just makes my heart sing! I love the extra drawers in the bench, that is genius. You’re so lucky to have such a handy hubby! We have such similar design taste, I love absolutely everything you’ve done with your house!

Posted 1.13.16 Reply
    • I consider myself SO lucky to have someone as handy as Ryan around the house – his skills just seem to improve by the day with that kind of stuff. Thank you so much for your kind words!

15. Wow!!!! This looks awesome 🙂

16. Wow!!! It's gorgeous! What a great makeover!! This should be in HGTV!! 😉

17. Jenn wrote:

Girl this looks FABULOUS!!! I can’t believe Ryan did all of that! It’s wonderful and I’d be totally happy with it, too 🙂

Posted 1.13.16 Reply
    • It definitely took a little longer than planned, but I can’t complain about the end result – Ryan is becoming quite the handyman around here!

Posted 1.13.16 Reply
  18. This looks AMAZING! Love everything about it! It looks so functional and modern 🙂

Posted 1.13.16 Reply
  19. Wow!! Looks amazing!! Having a mud room (yes its possible to have one in a condo in the city!) is definitely great. Pretty and functional are two very important things too! 🙂

Posted 1.13.16 Reply
  20. This turned out sooo good! We have a small coat closet that doesn’t function at all, and doing something like this has been on our to-do list forever, but will probably never get done. I’m definitely more inspired now and I love the dark wood with the white– so pretty!

Posted 1.13.16 Reply

The closet turned out absolutely fabulous, Ryan did a fantastic job! Looking forward to seeing it in person in a couple of weeks!

Posted 1.13.16 Reply
  22. Wow! It looks awesome! Good work! Love that it’s pretty and functional. Our mudroom has really helped keep our house tidy.

23. Pinky wrote:

Your pillow is darling and I love the entire space, well done!

Posted 1.13.16 Reply

You guys did an incredible job! I love the space and it’s so functional! xo, Biana –BlovedBoston

25. Perfection !!!

Posted 1.13.16 Reply

This turned out so amazing! I don’t even know how you guys turned the space you had into this but it’s gorgeous! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

Posted 1.13.16 Reply
  27. Such a gorgeous DIY project. I know you must be loving it! My favorite parts are {1} the pillow and {2} the dark drawers. I love how they both add so much character 🙂