Go-To Summer Outfit

Here in the Midwest, we’ve come to appreciate the (usually) nice, warm summer months – we’re lucky if we have three months out of the year that we don’t have to worry about cold temperatures or other plans that Mother Nature has in store, so we typically like to get outside and take advantage of what spring and summer has to offer while we can.

That being said, there is nothing worse than standing in the closet on a hot, sunny day deciding what to wear. I’d rather be outside soaking up the sun rays! That’s why I’ve developed a foolproof go-to outfit that works for me for nearly any situation or occasion during the summer.

maxi dress: Dorothy Perkins | jean jacket: Sonoma Life & Style | wishbone necklace: Overstock | silver hoop earrings: Dana Buchman | tote: Target | sandals: LC Lauren Conrad | messy bun tutorial: The Small Things Blog

My black and white striped maxi is one of my favorite pieces of clothing in my closet – it’s versatile, and I tend to feel most confident when I wear it. This version is great since it has cap sleeves for cooler days, but you never can go wrong with throwing a jean jacket over a dress just in case you get the chills. I like to keep the color palette pretty muted, mostly sterling silver jewelry and simple black flip flops, and then I save any color for my purse or tote, which I usually opt for a brighter pastel shade. There’s also nothing worse (to me) than having a ton of heavy hair on my neck when it’s hot out, so this messy bun tutorial is how I keep cool while still looking put-together.
What’s your go-to summer outfit?

1. Stephanie Chalk wrote:

I love every detail of this outfit! That bun is lovely, I will have to check out the tutorial! Xo, Stephanie

Posted 6.22.15 Reply
  2. Erica Wells wrote:

Love this outfit – that dress is perfect!! My go to outfit nowadays involves a maxi skirt and a flowy top or tank with flip flops. Oh and I've never heard of Dorothy Perkins before – there are some awesome finds in that store! I will be bookmarking this for future shopping!

Erica

Posted 6.18.15 Reply
  3. Right?! Thank you once again, Target. πŸ™‚

4. I agree!

5. Thanks, mom!

6. Thanks, girl!

Posted 6.17.15 Reply
  7. We need to find you a maxi dress!

Posted 6.17.15 Reply
  8. Ha! I figured I wasn't the only one that loves this type of outfit for summer.

Posted 6.17.15 Reply
  9. You and me both, girl!

Posted 6.17.15 Reply
  10. I'm with you! I'm glad that I finally found a denim jacket that I love – I can't stop wearing it.

Posted 6.17.15 Reply
  11. Woohoo Hawks! I'm sure it was a madhouse by you the other night.

12. Thanks, lady!

Posted 6.17.15 Reply
  13. Right?! Even though my hair isn't quite as long as it was anymore, I still feel the need to put it up pretty often – I just hate it sticking to my neck!

Posted 6.17.15 Reply
  14. I agree, it's so easy to just throw on and go!

15. Thanks, girl!

Posted 6.17.15 Reply
  16. I'm obsessed with that mint tote – I have a blush one, but I just may need to add that one to my collection, too.

17. I agree!

Posted 6.17.15 Reply
  18. Haha, I figured I wasn't alone in having these as staple pieces for summer. πŸ™‚

Posted 6.17.15 Reply
  19. Thanks, girl – I love both, too!

Posted 6.17.15 Reply
  20. Love this classic look, it really is the perfect go to summer outfit. And I love love that mint tote, the fact that it's from Target – even better!

Posted 6.17.15 Reply
  21. LOVE that maxi! This is the perfect look for summer.

xo Southern Style

Posted 6.17.15 Reply

I can totally see you in this outfit! So cute and so you!

Posted 6.17.15 Reply

Stripes, maxis and a messy bun are such a go to for me! Love it!

Posted 6.16.15 Reply

I still haven't found a maxi dress yet that I liked, but I'm determined to this summer! Perfect easy breezy summer outfit – you know I've been loving my denim jacket recently!

Posted 6.16.15 Reply

I just so happen to be wearing a tank, maxi skirt and denim shirt with the sleeves rolled up today πŸ˜‰ My summer go to! It's always freezing in my office but gets warmer in the afternoon, it's perfect. I love adding a pretty statement necklace!

Posted 6.16.15 Reply
  26. Loving that striped maxi! I live in maxi dresses during the summer!
    xo Emily

Posted 6.16.15 Reply
  27. Looove that dress! And you know how obsessed I am with my denim jacket – it's the most versatile piece. Hooray for warmer temps!

Posted 6.16.15 Reply
  28. My kind of summer outfit too lady!! I wear my denim jacket all of the time too, its a great layering piece during the summer. Thanks for sharing and YAY Hawks!!!! πŸ™‚

Posted 6.16.15 Reply
  29. Great picks! Loving that mint colored tote!

Posted 6.16.15 Reply
  30. That maxi could definitely be accessorized so many different ways, so I can totally see why it's your go-to! Also, I'm with you on the hair thing – mine basically lives in a pony or bun all summer, it's just too hot otherwise!

31. Jenn wrote:

Love this casual look! Perfect for this time of year as a go-to!

Posted 6.16.15 Reply
  32. The same. I've been wearing so many black and white stripe ensembles lately and I just love this maxi dress you've featured. the bag is perfect too! And of course the denim jacket for the evenings or a cold room… love it!

Posted 6.16.15 Reply

Definitely my go-to as well, especially the jean jacket!!! I love the light blue color of the tote!! xo, Biana –BlovedBoston

34. Pinky wrote:

That dress and bag is summer perfection!

Posted 6.16.15 Reply

Haha not even going to lie, that's totally exactly what my go-to summer outfit is too! Love the black and white striped maxi and the jean jacket is just the icing on the cake!

Sequins & Sea Breezes

Posted 6.16.15 Reply
  36. I love that dress! And that mint green bag!

Her Heartland Soul

Posted 6.16.15 Reply

• To my #foreverweddingdate: thanks for always standing by my side, letting me dress you up once in a while, and posing for pictures outside my childhood home like it’s high school graduation day. I love you so much. πŸ˜‚β€οΈ #marriedlife #fridayfeels
  • It has been 84 years since it stopped raining in Wisconsin, so it seemed necessary to document the occasion. πŸ’πŸΌβ€β™€οΈ #thursdayvibes #loveloft
  • #Bookworms, rejoice! This is our kinda day! πŸ“š On #WorldBookDay, I simply want to say thank you to all authors. Your characters, stories and words change my life daily, and I can’t imagine a life without them. Happy reading to all! #bookstagram
  • β€œIt’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.” Alice, Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
β€’β€’β€’
β€’β€’β€’
  • Catalina Island is nothing short of enchanting. β˜€οΈ #catalinacasino #vacationmode #frommyview
  • California vacation part one: β˜‘οΈ. Thanks for the magic, memories and OG nostalgia Disneyland! #adultsatdisney #toontown #wallsofdisney