4.6.15 29

Simplified Skincare Routine

As someone who has struggled with sensitive, acne-prone skin nearly her entire life, I know that the struggle is real to find the right combination of products that cooperate with that type of skin. I’ve tried high-end and drugstore products, extensive step-by-step skincare kits, and nearly everything in between – sure, the products worked for maybe the first few days, but then my skin quickly fell back into its old habits.

Well, guess what? More is not always better! Because of
the up and down Midwest weather lately and my more-than-usual hormone
levels, my skin has been straight up bad – I won’t even leave the house
without a full face of makeup on (including the gym!). As a result, I’ve
significantly cut back on skincare products that I apply on my face,
and I’ve seen glowing results.

That’s right – I’m only using a whopping four skincare products!

A cream cleanser that also acts as a salicylic acid acne treatment has done wonders for my skin. Not only has it cleared up my existing acne and prevented new breakouts, it also has balanced my skin and eliminated any extreme dryness or oiliness. This moisturizer also pairs well with the cleanser – it is specifically formulated for sensitive skin, so while it is still creamy, it has more of a gel/water-based texture to it so it’s not too heavy on the skin. The product dries nicely on my skin and leaves a smooth, clean canvas for when it’s time to apply makeup.

While I use the same cleanser and moisturizer morning and evening, I do change up my eye cream. The ever-popular Origins GinZing eye cream is part of my A.M. routine – it’s a thicker consistency to provide more hydration, and it also has a slight peach undertone to it, which helps brighten up my under eye circles. Although I stopped using the moisturizer from this line, the Neutrogena Hydro Boost Eye Gel Cream* (*c/o) remains my nighttime eye treatment. It’s lightweight and provides just enough overnight moisture to the eye area.

If necessary, I also use a gentle face exfoliate once or twice a week if my skin is looking a bit lackluster.

This simplified skincare routine has been life-changing for me – I’m not exaggerating when I say that my skin has never looked or felt better. I cannot recommend this combination of products enough if you’re struggling with the same skin issues.

What’s your skincare routine like? Do you use a lot of products or keep it simple?
| disclaimer: This is not a sponsored post, and Neutrogena has no idea who I am. With the exception of the eye gel that I received for a previous sponsored post, all these products were purchased by me and I simply want to share their amazing benefits with my readers!

1. I'm definitely on the keep it simple side – there are so many options out there, glad you've found something that it working for your skin! I struggled bad a few years back and feel like I've finally landed on a better combination for me. But I know for me my skin/face is also a sure reaction to if I've been putting the right things in my body or not!

Published 5.9.15
  2. That's great that you found something that works for you! I have been struggling to find a moisturizer and would love to cut down the number of products I use. I've also been dying to try that Ginzing eye cream!

Published 5.9.15
  3. Pinky wrote:

I used to use Neutrogena, but my parents work for Amaway and I LOVE their skin care line. I use a face wash, toner, moisturizer [day and then night version] and eye cream when I remember it. My skin is smoother an softer now. Even though the products cost a bit more they are worth it for me. I do like the make up wipes from Neutorgena, they are my go to when I travel.

Published 5.9.15
  4. Luckily no but I have had a few friends that have had the same complaints. Maybe the product line they use during the facials just doesn't do well with your skin?!

Published 4.7.15
  5. You are so right! I always know when I'm stressed out, too because it really shows on my face.

Published 4.7.15
  6. You are so lucky that you've never had to deal with acne! I envy girls like you. 🙂 Neutrogena has so many great products!

Published 4.7.15
  7. Have you found facials to irritate your skin at all? I've only gotten a couple in the past, but then my skin always would be broken out and severely dry in the following weeks!

Published 4.7.15
  8. It seriously does!

Published 4.7.15
  9. You should be sorry! Ha, kidding.

Published 4.7.15

Luckily I've never struggle with acne but I was just telling my mom the other day I needed to enhance my face washing routine! (she was a little horrified that I only use face wipes) but I just switched over from the ponds wipes to neutrogena and it's a worlds difference so I'm really interested in checking out those other neutrogena products you use asap!!

Published 4.6.15
  11. You know I love that GinZing eye cream! And totally agree that less is more when it comes to skincare. Especially since I've started getting facials, I've realized how many unnecessary products I can cut out!

12. Ashley T wrote:

That’s my favorite eye cream! I swear it works so well!

Published 4.6.15

I totally agree with your "less is more" approach when it comes to skincare! I've always been really happy with Neutrogena products, with rare exception. Sorry you inherited my sensitive skin!

Published 4.6.15
  14. That's exactly how my skin has been, too! Glad I'm not the only one that has been going through it. I'm so guilty of changing up my products too much – because of our skin type, I need to find the restraint to just keep things the way they are if they're working!

15. They sure do!

Published 4.6.15
  16. I used to use products from the dermatologist, too, but I think as I got older, my skin became immune to them! I'm glad I've been able to find something at the drugstore of all places that seems to agree with my skin.

Published 4.6.15
  17. Yes, the eye creams are great products. Eucerin is supposed to be so good for sensitive skin, so I bet it works great!

Published 4.6.15
  18. The eye cream is so wonderful!

Published 4.6.15
  19. Ooh! Sounds like you have your products and routine nailed down. I'm always so hesitant to use a toner because all of the ones that I've used have broken me out!

Published 4.6.15
  20. I'm glad I'm not the only one! I don't know why I never really used Neutrogena products before – they are fantastic!

Published 4.6.15
  21. Yes! It's amazing what you can find at the drugstore.

Published 4.6.15
  22. Until I read your comment this morning, I had never taken the time to smell the eye cream … you're right – it does smell good!

Published 4.6.15

I am so with you – I think simple is best when it comes to skincare! My skin has been pretty angry in the last week or two because of stress, weather changes and changing too many products. I need to get back to my old routine and learn not to mess with a good thing!

Published 4.6.15
  24. I love Neutrogena! They make great stuff!

Her Heartland Soul

Published 4.6.15
  25. It's a constant struggle for Elizabeth and I trying to find the right products for us. We have sensitive, acne-prone skin as well. We both use products from our dermatologist, but it's constantly changing because of the weather here. I've never actually tried any neutrogena products for my skin, but I'm glad they are working for you!
    xo Emily

Published 4.6.15
  26. I'm happy for you that you found something that works for you. At this point in my life I care about not looking old haha. I have been using a Eucerin moisturizer for years and I love it. It has SPF in it and it's lightweight. It also doesn't clog pores. I'll have to check out those eye creams though, they sound nice. I hope that you had a nice weekend!! 🙂

Published 4.6.15

Girl, I feel you on that sensitive, acne prone skin thing… and I agree. More is not always better. Neutrogena is definitely my go-to for face wash and skin products! Love!!

28. ElleSees.blogspot.com wrote:

love neutrogena! they have some amazing things–i need to check out that eye cream.

Published 4.6.15

I think less is more especially when it comes to skin care so I think it's great that you're only using 4 products!! I'm so happy to hear that it's helped your skin look great!!! The eye cream is one of my favorites…it smells so good! xo, Biana – BlovedBoston