Weekending

Happy February, all!

February has to be one of my
favorite months of the year. Between Valentine’s Day, my birthday and
being one month closer to spring and warmer temperatures, there’s a lot
to love!

This weekend was exactly what I needed to kick off the month on a good foot, so I’m linking up with Biana today to share a quick recap.

Friday, we finally ventured over to our new local gym to sign up for a membership! I feel like actually going to register at the gym always is the hardest first step to take. So now that we’ve tackled that, it’s time to get back in the groove of a workout routine. I’m actually looking forward to it!

Then, the afternoon was all about the tear down and demolition of the massive oak built-ins in our family room.

After receiving a quote of $2,000 from a local cabinet store to create new, custom cabinets and shelves for the space, we decided that we are going to go the DIY route. We’ve done hours of research on the Web and Pinterest, and we are fairly confident that we can get the job done ourselves.

Just look at the before and after photos – it’s already such a huge transformation! We also took the wooden ceiling beams down, which helps make the ceilings seem higher than they really are.

Saturday we decided to get out for the afternoon since the blizzard of the season was coming for us overnight into Sunday. We took a quick drive up to our outlet mall because I wanted to see if Gap and Old Navy had anything worthwhile; Gap was a bust, but I managed to grab some great clearance finds at Old Navy. I’m talking the camel-colored peacoat that I’ve wanted for months for $15 great clearance find – I was thrilled. We also stopped at Kohl’s to take advantage of our $20 in Kohl’s cash – we definitely took advantage, managing to get another $20 in free cash. It’s a vicious cycle.

I also finally got around to decorating our IKEA Vittsjo shelving unit in our master bedroom. Since I’m still waiting for a few final touches before the big reveal, here’s a small sneak peak! P.S. – since when does Hobby Lobby have the most awesome selection of affordable home decor?! It’s my new favorite store.

Since we were snowed in Sunday, the day was spent lounging in sweatpants, eating way too much junk food, and enjoying the Katy Perry concert … I mean, the Super Bowl. It was a relaxing end to a fantastic weekend.

How was your weekend? Let me know in the comments below!

1. Thanks, Ashley – we sure think so!

Posted 2.3.15 Reply
  2. Thanks, girl!

Posted 2.3.15 Reply
  3. It definitely was a good one! Hope yours was too. xo

Posted 2.3.15 Reply
  4. Thanks so much! I'll be excited to share it with all of you. πŸ™‚

Posted 2.3.15 Reply
  5. You basically never have to buy anything full price at Hobby Lobby!

Posted 2.3.15 Reply
  6. Katie wrote:

Wow! What a huge difference taking down the built-ins made. It look awesome! Can't wait to see the finished product of that and your bedroom!

Posted 2.3.15 Reply
  7. I stayed warm by not leaving the house yesterday haha. Today it will be warmer so I'll venture out. The amount of snow that we have here is insane though!!

Posted 2.3.15 Reply
  8. Yay for Birthday month! The living room does look way more open, can't wait to see what you do with it!

Posted 2.3.15 Reply
  9. mdb0112 wrote:

Hobby Lobby is so amazing! Love your living room. Sounds like a great weekend! xo

Posted 2.3.15 Reply
  10. Ashley T wrote:

This living room is coming along great! Taking down the built ins really opens the space up more!

Posted 2.2.15 Reply
  11. I love Hobby Lobby (and their forever 40% coupon for online purchases!). Amazing before/after shot of that gorgeous room!

Posted 2.2.15 Reply
  12. We definitely were lucky that when we found this house, all the bones and structures were in place for us to just make a ton of cosmetic changes! I'm sure you'll be seeing the camel p-coat in upcoming outfit posts. I am madly in love with it!

Posted 2.2.15 Reply
  13. That sounds like a fantastic weekend! I can't wait to see this camel p-coat you are talking about! I know I'm going to be jeally πŸ™‚ I also can't wait to see what that bookshelf turns out looking like! You have such a great canvas/blank slate to start with!

14. Thanks, Erin!

Posted 2.2.15 Reply

You little tease, can't wait to see your room! And look at you with your DIY shelves, can't wait to see those either.

Posted 2.2.15 Reply
  16. Good for you! That sounds like a great weekend to me.

17. I'm glad I'm not the only one! Cheers to Monday. πŸ™‚

18. I can only imagine! Hopefully the week goes by fast for you. πŸ™‚

Posted 2.2.15 Reply
  19. Haha, we are definitely in full-blown home renovation mode! I figure it's best to do it now while we are stuck inside.

Posted 2.2.15 Reply
  20. Hopefully our built-ins will turn out well enough that you'll want to copy them! πŸ™‚ I definitely will be sharing all our plans and progress as we get started.

Posted 2.2.15 Reply
  21. I definitely think you had a good excuse to just relax!

Posted 2.2.15 Reply
  22. There's no better place to find steals than Old Navy! I love stopping by just to see what I can snag. I spent my weekend studying for exams, so I am looking forward to next weekend already!

Posted 2.2.15 Reply
  23. Ohh I can't wait to see your bedroom reveal! That little snapshot looks so pretty! πŸ˜€

Posted 2.2.15 Reply
  24. Look at you guys go!! The room already looks so much bigger with the oak shelves taken down. Can't wait to see how the DIY goes! Maybe we'll just copy what you do πŸ™‚ And making a note to stop at Hobby Lobby this week, I haven't been there in forever!

25. Jen wrote:

I can't wait to see how your shelves turn out! I am the WORST at DIY's.

This was the first free weekend we had in forever! I took advantage by finishing a good book, catching up on my favorite blogs and getting a few good workouts in.

xo, Jen

Posted 2.2.15 Reply
  26. Right?! I seriously had to do a double-take at the tag to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

Posted 2.2.15 Reply
  27. Thanks for the encouragement, girl! πŸ™‚ That jewelry organizer is from TJMaxx – they are loaded with them right now.

Posted 2.2.15 Reply
  28. I couldn't agree more! Plus, Ryan is thrilled because it gave him the excuse to go buy all these tools he's been lusting after. πŸ™‚

Posted 2.2.15 Reply
  29. Isn't Kohl's cash the best? Seems like we are always using ours! Have a great week!

Posted 2.2.15 Reply

Your family room looks great so far, so much lighter and brighter! You guys accomplished a lot more than we did this weekend, but with 19 inches of snow, guess we had a good excuse! Enjoyed the Katy Perry concert, I mean, Super Bowl, too!

Posted 2.2.15 Reply
  31. Thanks, girl! I hope you had a good weekend and managed to stay warm, too.

Posted 2.2.15 Reply
  32. I guess I hadn't been in a Hobby Lobby in a long time – I just had no idea that they carried all that home decor stuff. I'll definitely be back in the near future!

Posted 2.2.15 Reply
  33. Thanks, girl! It's definitely a work in progress, but we will get there eventually. It's amazing what a coat of paint can do, right?!

Posted 2.2.15 Reply
  34. I went to Hobby Lobby this weekend too and was really impressed with all their wall art! Taking out the shelves and the wood above the mantle made such a huge difference!! It looks great already! Good luck with DIY'ing the rest of it.

Posted 2.2.15 Reply
  35. Love your Hobby Lobby finds and the fireplace looks great! I'm glad that you had a nice weekend too. The snow was not fun here either. :-/

Posted 2.2.15 Reply

Can't wait to see how your cabinet turn out! Sometimes these places charge wayyyy too much for something you can figure out on your own! Glad you had a great weekend girl!

Posted 2.2.15 Reply

You guys are going to do a great job on that DIY – can't wait to see the final result!!! I love that new jewelry organizer – reminds me I need to spruce mine up!! Happy Monday girl! xo, Biana – BlovedBoston

38. ElleSees.blogspot.com wrote:

it's looking great so far! can't wait for the big reveal of everything! and what a deal on that coat!! love when that happens!!

39. Jenn wrote:

Loving the look of your family room already!!! It's definitely made such a difference! My husband and I just repainted doors in our house and that alone has made a huge difference, too! Getting snowed in for the SuperBowl sounds like the perfect time for a snow storm! πŸ™‚

Posted 2.2.15 Reply

• To my #foreverweddingdate: thanks for always standing by my side, letting me dress you up once in a while, and posing for pictures outside my childhood home like it’s high school graduation day. I love you so much. πŸ˜‚β€οΈ #marriedlife #fridayfeels
  • It has been 84 years since it stopped raining in Wisconsin, so it seemed necessary to document the occasion. πŸ’πŸΌβ€β™€οΈ #thursdayvibes #loveloft
  • #Bookworms, rejoice! This is our kinda day! πŸ“š On #WorldBookDay, I simply want to say thank you to all authors. Your characters, stories and words change my life daily, and I can’t imagine a life without them. Happy reading to all! #bookstagram
  • β€œIt’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.” Alice, Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
β€’β€’β€’
β€’β€’β€’
  • Catalina Island is nothing short of enchanting. β˜€οΈ #catalinacasino #vacationmode #frommyview
  • California vacation part one: β˜‘οΈ. Thanks for the magic, memories and OG nostalgia Disneyland! #adultsatdisney #toontown #wallsofdisney