Cold Weather Necessities {Outfit Inspiration}

I’ve practically been living in my cold weather outwear the past few weeks while the Midwest was (and continues to be) hit with subzero temperatures and wind chills.

Until we moved to Wisconsin, my peacoat pretty much served as my winter coat. It did the job and kept me warm, but it just wasn’t cutting it anymore. I’m so glad that I invested in a long, down puffer jacket early this season – I found my Andrew Marc coat at Costco for only $60!

I never can leave the house without something on my head and hands to keep my ears and fingers warm, and Gap’s winter scarves always have been my go-to for the colder months. Also, don’t be fooled by the sunglasses – yes, I almost always wear a pair even on cloudy days, but they also help protect my face against windburn when it’s extra windy out. During the winter, the bigger the frames, the better!

Although my winter boots are a different color and pattern than the ones I included above, do not rule out Target when looking for a reliable pair of winter boots. They are ridiculously warm, durable, and easy to get on and off. It doesn’t hurt that they are pretty cute and stylish – I’ve gotten a number of compliments from random people when I wear them to the store.

I have my fingers crossed that it warms up in the near future, but I’m thankful that I have these select few items to get me through.

What are your cold weather necessities?

coat | Andrew Marc (on sale!)
boots | Target
scarf | Gap
gloves | Kohl’s
sunnies | Coach

1. I literally say a silent prayer every night wishing for warmer weather in the future. That, or I just need to go on a vacation! I remember when you got your Sorel boots from Costco, you really can find some great gems if you look!

Posted 2.2.15 Reply
  2. That is a great way of describing the long puffer coats – they basically are a sleeping bag that we can walk in!

Posted 2.2.15 Reply
  3. Exactly – looks don't matter when you're all bundled up! If someone laughs, they probably are just jealous of how warm you probably are. 🙂

Posted 2.2.15 Reply
  4. Hopefully next year you can find a long puffer coat! It definitely has been a life-saver so far this winter.

Posted 2.2.15 Reply
  5. I'm right there with ya, girl! It feels like I'm always cold even when I am all layered up!

Posted 2.2.15 Reply
  6. I agree with you! I think that's why I was content with my peacoat until this year – I didn't want to look bulky!

Posted 2.2.15 Reply
  7. Right?! You have to cover every last piece of skin so you don't freeze to death. I hope this passes soon! Gotta love Costco, you can find some real gems in there sometimes.

Posted 2.2.15 Reply
  8. I agree with you! I am not a glove girl whatsoever, but as long as they are slim enough so they aren't too bulky around my hands, I'm good with them.

Posted 2.2.15 Reply
  9. Ha, right?! Where was this weather last month when we actually wanted it to be white and cold for the holidays?

Posted 2.2.15 Reply
  10. Ugh, freezing in the office is the worst! I always had my space heater and a blanket on in my old office. 🙂 You should check out the Target boots – I love them!

Posted 2.2.15 Reply
  11. I was thrilled that my new coat had a hood, too – I think that's just necessary no matter where in the Midwest that you live!

Posted 2.2.15 Reply
  12. I love your new coat! I wish mine had fur on the hood like yours does.

13. Jenn wrote:

The long puffy coat is a MUST! I switched from a regular/shorter one this year to a longer one that goes down to about mid calf and I can't turn back! It's the best purchase I made to keep myself warm!

Posted 1.15.15 Reply
  14. I am so ridiculously jealous that you live in Central Cali – that's pretty much my dream! Thanks for stopping by!

Posted 1.14.15 Reply
  15. I've basically been hibernating – I really don't go out unless I have to right now!

Posted 1.14.15 Reply
  16. Haha, tech-friendly gloves? Absolutely! Those are definitely life-savers in this weather.

Posted 1.14.15 Reply
  17. I can't imagine that a wool/cashmere coat isn't a great investment! Is it a jacket that you can dress up or down?

Posted 1.14.15 Reply
  18. My co-workers tell me that I look like a burrito. Haha. Whatever, I just want to be warm!! Plus I'm old and married and I don't care. 🙂

Posted 1.14.15 Reply
  19. Gingi Edmonds Freeman wrote:

I am in Central Cali, and it has been unseasonably warm this winter, and THANK GOD, because I don't have any comfortable winter clothes, being 7 months pregnant! lol

Anyhoo, I found your blog through a fellow blogger, and just thought I would stop by and say hi! It would totally make my day if you did the same… or better yet, keep in touch!! <3 – http://www.domesticgeekgirl.com

Posted 1.14.15 Reply

I don't really have to deal with too much cold weather but LOVE that scarf! I can't imagine how cold it is for you guys! I think I'd stay inside until it warmed up!

Sequins & Sea Breezes

Posted 1.14.15 Reply
  21. Courtney B wrote:

I seriously can't believe how cold it has been for you guys… yuck! But I LOVE the coat! Can't believe it was only $60! Costco is the best!
    Have you seen the gloves that are… what's the word?… you can totally still use your phone WITH THEM ON! Seriously, so cool! Such a life saver so I don't have to strip my gloves off to even swipe to answer my phone!

Posted 1.13.15 Reply

I broke down and bought a down coat last year and it honestly saved me during the crazy cold winter we had. The only thing I wish is that I had got one that was longer! I tried on the most amazing longer wool/cashmere coat this weekend and am having such a dilemma trying to decide if it is worth the investment!

Posted 1.13.15 Reply
  23. Oh my gosh I'm with Katie, is it spring yet?! Haha. Love all of your picks, especially that scarf. I could never live without my North Face down coat. It is almost down to my ankles. I also have a wool scarf from Ireland, my fuzzy hat, and furry ear muffs. Oh and of course gloves and my dorky waterproof Ugg boots. I know that I look so silly when I wear all of these things, but I don't care. I just want to be warm! 🙂

Posted 1.13.15 Reply
  24. My sister lives in her long North Face puffer coat. She calls it her sleeping bag but when it's that cold it is totally necessary!

Posted 1.13.15 Reply
  25. Ugh, is it spring yet?! I'm already so sick of wearing my giant North Face parka everyday. And Costco is the best – I snagged a pair of Sorel boots there for like half the price, love that place!

26. Lisa wrote:

I love how down coats (including the one you have listed!) are now tapered in a bit at the waist! I got mine years ago and it's so huge and straight down, I look like I'm drowning in it! I'm strongly debating on whether I should buy another (cuter) one.

Lisa
    Two Martinis

Posted 1.13.15 Reply
  27. I second all of those accessories for this brutal weather! I live in my puffer jacket and boots, and now it's the time of year where you can not go out with out covering all of the extremities! Love that you found your great coat at Costco!

Posted 1.13.15 Reply

I need some boots like that! Ugh it's 18 degrees right now and I'm freezing at my desk, I wish I was bundled up in that coat right about now 😉

29. Jessi Otey wrote:

Well this is definitely on point with 10 degrees and freezing rain in our future! Loving thos boots and that scarf! xo

Posted 1.13.15 Reply

I'm so glad you finally got a warmer coat! I bought a down coat myself this year, and am so glad I did – lightweight but incredibly warm. You prove that looking stylish is possible, even during these cold Midwestern winters!

Posted 1.13.15 Reply
  31. Yes to all of these! Those gloves look really nice- I haaate wearing them for some reason, but with how cold it has been I don't have much of a choice.

Posted 1.13.15 Reply
  32. I JUST bought a giant winter coat. I had a pretty warm Kenneth Cole one I got from Sams, but it didn't have a hood. In Michigan, you really need a hood 🙂 I've been on the lookout for some cute gloves though. Right now I've got these mitten/glove combination things and they are SUPER warm, but incredibly bulky. I need something a little smaller 🙂

Sarah
    Midwest Darling

Posted 1.13.15 Reply

I love your down coat!! It's insane how many layers I need to wear in order to be totally warm!! xo, Biana – BlovedBoston

Posted 1.13.15 Reply
  34. I too have been using my peacoat as my winter coat and it is definitely not cutting it anymore!! I was planning on getting one of those long puffer coats this year, but the whole prego thing got in the way. 🙁 Next year I guess! Love your picks, especially the cute scarf.

• Today was a good day to have a great day. ☀️ #happy #thursdaythoughts