A Tour & Lovely Blog Award

Happy 2015, all! I hope everybody had a fun, safe and relaxing holiday. Ours was fun, but far from relaxing since we decided to makeover our master bedroom in one weekend … more on that later.

With the holidays behind us, I’m excited to be back to regular blog programming! To kick off the new year, I thought it would be fun to reintroduce myself in case you are new here or if you just want to continue to get to know me better.

Biana and Aimee nominated me a while back to participate in the Tour of Blogland, and Brittany most recently nominated me for the Lovely Blog Award to share seven random things about myself.

So, let’s first get started with the tour!

via

What are you working on right now?
I’m currently working on setting up my editorial calendar for the rest of January. I like to have a rough outline of content lined up for each month, but I do keep it flexible in case something more timely comes up, such as a collaboration, giveaway, etc. I’m also trying to figure out how to revamp my Things That Thrill Me Thursday posts – hopefully it will have a new look this week!

How does your work differ from others in your genre?
I can’t say that what I write about is vastly different from other bloggers that write about beauty, life and style, but the fact that it is in my own voice is what makes it unique! I like to represent myself as the everyday, Midwest girl; I’m not loaded with money, and I don’t believe in buying only high-end products or paying a fortune to feel and look good (okay, maybe only on my hair). My style and beauty posts may not be loaded with designer labels, but they do provide accessible, affordable and practical options for women that don’t want to break the bank.

Why do you write/create what you do?
Miss in the Midwest is my happy place! Writing always has been my first love when it comes to hobbies, so when I developed a passion for beauty and style, blogging seemed like the natural next step. I started this space so I had a creative outlet to write about and share the things that I love most in life, and even though I now know just how much work blogging requires, to this day it still doesn’t feel like work. I also wanted to share just how cool us Midwest gals are – I mean, I’m not that cool, but I like to pretend I am.

How does your writing/creative process work?
I’m a bit OCD when it comes to my creative process, and that’s mostly because of driving forces from my professional background. At the beginning of each month, I sit down to develop my editorial calendar and start to ask myself a series of questions to get the brainstorming going: what new beauty products am I loving this month? Were there any celebrity or Pinterest style photos that I want to recreate? Maybe I should do a tutorial on how I recently learned to FINALLY curl my own hair? You get the picture. I also try to work ahead as much as possible since, again, I’m a freak about organization and time management, but I still remain flexible if something comes up at the last minute, or if I simply change my mind about the timing or content of a post.

Now, onto some random facts about yours truly.

1. I played softball from about eight or nine through freshman year of high school. My nickname on my travel team was Chainlink because I always would dive into the fence to catch fowl balls at first base (hey, I usually succeeded, too!).

2. My mom is my best friend, and there hasn’t been a day missed in nearly eight years of talking on the phone.

3. When Ryan and I first met (in one of our college classes), I gave him the cold shoulder and basically told him to take a hike. I’m glad that he decided to be persistent!

4. I HAVE to sleep with a fan on, no matter the season or regardless of where I am. The humming noise must help put me to sleep.

5. My dream job is to be a correspondent for E! News or an editorial writer for People Magazine. Pop culture is my life, people.

6. I love carbs. If I could eat a plate of pasta and a whole french baguette daily without becoming overweight, I’d be a happy camper.

7. My all-time favorite TV show is Full House. I own all eight seasons and play them regularly when I’m doing chores around the house. You got it, dude!

Well, that was a WHOLE lot about me today! Since so many of you already have participated in these threads, I am nominating whoever is left to join in the fun – I’d love to get to know more about you!

1. Fun post! I enjoyed learning more about you. 🙂 #5 would be pretty awesome too. Happy New Year and I hope that you are staying warm today!!!

Posted 2.2.15 Reply
  2. Ashley T wrote:

Loved learning more about you Karly! I'm the same way with a fan. It has to be on at night!

Posted 2.2.15 Reply
  3. Ashley Angle wrote:

Love this! I am soooo the same on #5,6, and 7!! Full House is amazing.
    Come link up today!
    ~Ashley @ A Cute Angle
    acutelifestyle.blogspot.com

Posted 2.2.15 Reply
  4. Jenn wrote:

I'm with you–I have to sleep with the fan on, too. I dunno why but there's something about it! So fun getting to know more about you! 🙂 New follower!

Posted 1.15.15 Reply
  5. Right?! If only I lived in California to pursue that dream. 🙂

Posted 1.6.15 Reply
  6. I think the fan helps with Finn from hearing every little noise, too!

Posted 1.6.15 Reply
  7. We look so young! Well, Ryan hasn't changed much, but I feel like those bangs make me look like I'm 15 again!

8. Ty, sissy!

9. Awe, thank you! I second you on the carbs. 🙂

Posted 1.6.15 Reply
  10. Right?! I just can't sleep in complete silence – it's too eery! Happy New Year, girl – glad you're back!

Posted 1.6.15 Reply
  11. Lol, glad I'm not the only fan out there!

Posted 1.6.15 Reply
  12. That photo was taken about a month after we got Finn, so yes, he was still so tiny! Master bedroom reveal is coming soon … I have to finish decorating!

Posted 1.6.15 Reply
  13. We look like such babies in that photo! That was taken in 2008 a few weeks before we "officially" started dating. Those were the days! I'm sure your momma misses talking to you like that, too – I hope someday soon you two will be able to resume that!

14. Thanks, lady!

Posted 1.6.15 Reply
  15. Ha, right?! Dream job right there! Hope you're staying warm, too!

16. Thanks, momma!

Posted 1.6.15 Reply
  17. We are in LOVE with our master bedroom redo; I'm waiting to do a reveal until I've finished decorating it. It definitely was interesting getting it finished in one weekend.

Posted 1.6.15 Reply
  18. I tried listening to an audiobook once, and it put me right to sleep! Maybe I was onto something with that. 🙂

Posted 1.6.15 Reply
  19. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

20. Stacy G wrote:

I talk to my mom on the phone daily and am totally with you on the pasta everyday life! lol I love E news too! I guess most of us girls do though! That would be such a fun job!

21. Dorrie M wrote:

Great post! I have to sleep with -something- on just so my little dog beast don't hear everything outside! Full house is one of my favorite shows. Though it won't top FRIENDS. ?

Posted 1.6.15 Reply

Aww love this! That picture of you and Ryan is adorable! And I totally have to sleep with a fan on too!!

Sequins & Sea Breezes

23. Kristy Simon wrote:

Fun post!

Posted 1.6.15 Reply
  24. You and your mom are so cute! I love Full House too and carbs – maybe a little too much haha.

25. The Adored Life wrote:

I HAVE to sleep with a fan on! When I am looking for a new place I always, always, always check to see if they have ceiling fans! Happy New Year!

Posted 1.5.15 Reply
  26. Love this! I have to sleep with a fan on, too and how tiny is Finn in that picture?! So adorable! Can't wait to hear more about your master bedroom soon – I'm sure it looks fabulous!!

Posted 1.5.15 Reply

Aw look at that pic of you and Ryan, too cute! I'm the same with my mama too, we talked every single day. I was just thinking this morning how much I miss our conversations. Since Christians accident we rarely get to talk like we used to. I miss that! I must have a fan on too, I can't stand silence!

28. Jessi Otey wrote:

Love this and learning even more! Welcome back and Happy Monday girl! xoxo

Posted 1.5.15 Reply

Well, you almost made me cry today! I look forward to our daily talks! I'm proud of the way you're always striving to improve the blog and I think it's just getting better and better!

Posted 1.5.15 Reply
  30. Oooo, I can't wait to see what you did to your master bedroom! So glad you did this, love learning more about you. Gotta represent the Midwest! I wish I could still some or your organized gene and be more prepared further ahead of time. I second you on the carbs – why do they have to be soooo good?!?

Posted 1.5.15 Reply

Seriously give me all the carbs – pasta, bread and cereal are all my favourite things! I listen to audiobooks when I sleep for a similar reason. The background noise helps stop my brain from going on overdrive and keeping me awake. I'd love to see what tools you use to keep organized, that's a big focus for me this year!

Posted 1.5.15 Reply
  32. Glad you enjoyed it – happy Monday!

33. Pinky wrote:

I love these posts, so fun learning more about people!

Posted 1.5.15 Reply
  34. Ha, I thought all of you would get a kick out of that picture! That was taken circa 2008 a few weeks before we "officially" started dating. It's still one of my favorites of us!

Posted 1.5.15 Reply
  35. Girl, an editorial calendar is such a life-saver! Just remember that nothing is set in stone, and it still can be flexible. And, yes to carbs – always! xo

Posted 1.5.15 Reply
  36. Love this! That picture of you and your hubby is so cute. You both look so young! And yes to all the carbs…yum. Have a great day girl!

Posted 1.5.15 Reply

Loved getting to know a little more about you!! I'm in the same camp as you – mom is 100% my best friend too, love that!! I'm trying to get started on an editorial calendar as well…never really used one before!!! And carbs…bring them on – the more the better lol!! xo, Biana – BlovedBoston