Happy 2015, all! I hope everybody had a fun, safe and relaxing holiday. Ours was fun, but far from relaxing since we decided to makeover our master bedroom in one weekend … more on that later.
With the holidays behind us, I’m excited to be back to regular blog programming! To kick off the new year, I thought it would be fun to reintroduce myself in case you are new here or if you just want to continue to get to know me better.
So, let’s first get started with the tour!
What are you working on right now?
I’m currently working on setting up my editorial calendar for the rest of January. I like to have a rough outline of content lined up for each month, but I do keep it flexible in case something more timely comes up, such as a collaboration, giveaway, etc. I’m also trying to figure out how to revamp my Things That Thrill Me Thursday posts – hopefully it will have a new look this week!
How does your work differ from others in your genre?
I can’t say that what I write about is vastly different from other bloggers that write about beauty, life and style, but the fact that it is in my own voice is what makes it unique! I like to represent myself as the everyday, Midwest girl; I’m not loaded with money, and I don’t believe in buying only high-end products or paying a fortune to feel and look good (okay, maybe only on my hair). My style and beauty posts may not be loaded with designer labels, but they do provide accessible, affordable and practical options for women that don’t want to break the bank.
Why do you write/create what you do?
Miss in the Midwest is my happy place! Writing always has been my first love when it comes to hobbies, so when I developed a passion for beauty and style, blogging seemed like the natural next step. I started this space so I had a creative outlet to write about and share the things that I love most in life, and even though I now know just how much work blogging requires, to this day it still doesn’t feel like work. I also wanted to share just how cool us Midwest gals are – I mean, I’m not that cool, but I like to pretend I am.
How does your writing/creative process work?
I’m a bit OCD when it comes to my creative process, and that’s mostly because of driving forces from my professional background. At the beginning of each month, I sit down to develop my editorial calendar and start to ask myself a series of questions to get the brainstorming going: what new beauty products am I loving this month? Were there any celebrity or Pinterest style photos that I want to recreate? Maybe I should do a tutorial on how I recently learned to FINALLY curl my own hair? You get the picture. I also try to work ahead as much as possible since, again, I’m a freak about organization and time management, but I still remain flexible if something comes up at the last minute, or if I simply change my mind about the timing or content of a post.
Now, onto some random facts about yours truly.
1. I played softball from about eight or nine through freshman year of high school. My nickname on my travel team was Chainlink because I always would dive into the fence to catch fowl balls at first base (hey, I usually succeeded, too!).
2. My mom is my best friend, and there hasn’t been a day missed in nearly eight years of talking on the phone.
3. When Ryan and I first met (in one of our college classes), I gave him the cold shoulder and basically told him to take a hike. I’m glad that he decided to be persistent!
4. I HAVE to sleep with a fan on, no matter the season or regardless of where I am. The humming noise must help put me to sleep.
5. My dream job is to be a correspondent for E! News or an editorial writer for People Magazine. Pop culture is my life, people.
6. I love carbs. If I could eat a plate of pasta and a whole french baguette daily without becoming overweight, I’d be a happy camper.
7. My all-time favorite TV show is Full House. I own all eight seasons and play them regularly when I’m doing chores around the house. You got it, dude!
Well, that was a WHOLE lot about me today! Since so many of you already have participated in these threads, I am nominating whoever is left to join in the fun – I’d love to get to know more about you!