Fur, Plaid & Stripes – Oh My!

Years ago, my Grandma Bette gifted me a faux fur vest that she found at Marshall’s. At the time, she said she thought it “looked cool” and that I could pull it off. I had never worn, let alone owned, anything fur in my entire life, and I thought there was no way that I could incorporate it into my relatively girly and preppy wardrobe.

However, whenever it came time for me to clean out my closet, I just couldn’t bring myself to get rid of that vest. I’m sure glad that I didn’t! As we all know and have seen, faux fur vests are back on the scene in a big way, and I especially love how it can be a fairly versatile and neutral piece that you can layer with different patterns and accessories.

This outfit has been my favorite faux fur vest combination as of late. The tones of brown and black in the vest allow me to mix and match a variety of colors in one outfit, including black and white stripes, brown boots and a pop of plaid. Even on the chilliest of winter days (it was in the mid 20’s when we shot these photos), I still manage to stay warm with all these layers!

By the way, these cognac ankle booties are my new jam. They are the perfect color, ridiculously comfortable, and high enough so I can cuff and tuck my jeans without my ankles or socks showing.

How do/would you style a faux fur vest?
vest | Marshall’s (similar)
shirt | Target (similar)
scarf | Target (exact)
jeans | Old Navy (exact)
booties | Simply Vera Wang (exact)
watch | c/o Daniel Wellington
charm bracelet | Tiffany & Co.

1. Haha, right?! She was quite a fashionista in her day. 🙂 I hope you do recreate this outfit because you would look killer in it! And, you're just too sweet – thanks, girl! 🙂

Posted 2.2.15 Reply
  2. Awe, thank you!

Posted 2.2.15 Reply
  3. Thanks, girl – that's my new backyard! 🙂 I was worried about the bulk of the fur vest, too, but luckily this one does have a slim profile.

Posted 2.2.15 Reply
  4. Haha, Grandma Bette sure is on her game when she wants to be! Thanks, girl. 🙂

Posted 12.18.14 Reply
  5. Thanks, Kate!

Posted 12.18.14 Reply
  6. Thank goodness for Grandma Bette because you look beautiful! Love this outfit and your hair like that!

Posted 12.18.14 Reply
  7. I LOVE this! Seriously awesome combo!
    This Side of Paradise

Posted 12.17.14 Reply
  8. Ty my sissy. 🙂

Posted 12.17.14 Reply
  9. Thanks, Kinsey! That definitely gives me a boost of confidence. 🙂

Posted 12.17.14 Reply
  10. Kristy Simon wrote:

You look maj in these photos.

Posted 12.17.14 Reply
  11. Kinsey wrote:

It seems like everyone who posts their fur vests always thinks they can't rock them- and then they totally do! Yes, they can be super intimidating! I think this is an awesome example of a casual look with the fur vest. Plus, love the booties!

Posted 12.17.14 Reply
  12. mdb0112 wrote:

Such an adorable outfit! Such great photographs too! You are a knockout! xo

Posted 12.17.14 Reply
  13. I love that your Grandma knew what was trendy before we did 🙂 I have everything to recreate this outfit and now I think I know what I'm wearing to work tomorrow!

Posted 12.17.14 Reply

I love these photos, such a lovely backdrop! I have a friend that rocks fur accents like nobody's business, but we have such different styles I've never been confident that I could pull it off without it looking super bulky. I like that this one has a slim profile!

Posted 12.16.14 Reply
  15. I'm glad I kept it, too. After all these years, I finally found a way to wear it! 🙂

Posted 12.16.14 Reply
  16. Thanks, Sheila! And, yes – I am obsessed with my DW watch. I've been wearing it everyday since I got it!

Posted 12.16.14 Reply
  17. Awe, thanks so much girl!

Posted 12.16.14 Reply
  18. Thanks, lady! My lips actually are a combination of Rimmel lip liner in Ravish and a Revlon Color Burst lip gloss that I don't know the name of off the top of my head.

Posted 12.16.14 Reply
  19. I know, she was quite fashionable back in the day!

Posted 12.16.14 Reply
  20. I'm totally going to start calling mine my bear vest, too. Ha! That's genius.

21. Thanks, lady!

Posted 12.16.14 Reply
  22. Thank you! And, yes – you know grandma!

Posted 12.16.14 Reply
  23. I know Target recently had some great faux fur vests, too … keep an eye out!

24. Awe, thanks pretty lady! xo

Posted 12.16.14 Reply
  25. That vest is so perfect! It hits at a great length and isn't too bulky! Glad you kept it 😉

26. Sheila wrote:

Love this look! Great job with the layers. And I have the same watch! Isn't it great??

xo – Sheila

Posted 12.16.14 Reply

I would style it exactly the same, I love this look so much! How cool that it's something you have had, you are ROCKING it!

28. Ashley Angle wrote:

I love how you mixed the patterns and textures. It really looks great! What color lipstick are you wearing?
    ~Ashley @ A Cute Angle
    acutelifestyle.blogspot.com

Posted 12.16.14 Reply
  29. I'm loving this entire outfit! Pretty pictures too. That is awesome that you got the vest from your Grandma.

Posted 12.16.14 Reply
  30. Love this combo of faux fur, stripes, and plaid. I love my fur vest, that I'm pretty sure I scored at Marshalls too. I call it my bear vest, but its so warm and cozy! Good taste grandma!

Posted 12.16.14 Reply
  31. Love your outfit and the vest!!! You look beautiful. So sweet that your Grandma gave that to you too. I hope that you are having a good day so far! 🙂

Posted 12.16.14 Reply

Love the outfit and the new scenery, too! Grandma Bette was quite the "fashionista" in her day!

Posted 12.16.14 Reply

Loving this vest! I've been on the hunt for the perfect fur vest and this one is amazing! I wish I found awesome things like this at my Marshall's!

Sequins & Sea Breezes

Posted 12.16.14 Reply

Your grandma totally nailed it with this vest!!! I absolutely love this outfit girl and all the patters you have going on – it's perfect!! xo, Biana – BlovedBoston

• Today was a good day to have a great day. ☀️ #happy #thursdaythoughts