The Ombre Blush Effect

I’ve discovered a new blush technique – the ombre effect.

I’m sure this is nothing new, but it just recently occurred to me to experiment with two blushes at a time to see how well they layer with one another. The key is to use two blushes that are the same undertone and similar in color, and to use the darker blush higher on your cheekbones and the lighter shade on just the apples of your cheeks.

You’ve seen me wear this cheek combo in a majority of my recent style posts. Starting with Tarte Amazonian Clay’s blush in Exposed, I take a fluffy cheek brush and blend the blush from the high point of my cheekbones up to my temple. Then, using an angled blush brush for a more precise application, I take Estee Lauder’s Pure Color Blush in Rebel Rose and pat that onto the apples of my cheeks and lightly blend upward. I am left with a subtle pink gradient effect on my cheeks, along with a more defined cheekbone.

Regardless of the blush colors you choose to use, be sure to blend out any harsh edges between the two shades; you don’t want it to be obvious that you’ve used two different products.

Have any of you tried this trick or have a favorite blush combination?

1. Maya McDonald wrote:

So fun! I do this with the NARS set as well – works wonders summer and winter! xx

Posted 8.22.14 Reply
  2. Lauren Scorzafava wrote:

I do this with one of my NARS sets. I love the results!

xx
    Lauren Elizabeth
    Petite in Pearls

Posted 8.21.14 Reply

Exposed looks gorgeous! I've been layering blushes lately when I want more of a pop, my color customizing Stila one with a shimmer one on top, like my Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick, have been a combo I've been loving

Posted 8.20.14 Reply
  4. I'm glad you've discovered this new technique, too!

Posted 8.20.14 Reply
  5. Exposed is my all-time favorite blush – I can't live without it! I sometimes layer my cream and powder blushes, too for extended wear.

Posted 8.20.14 Reply
  6. I hope you do! I think you'll like the effect it gives. 🙂

Posted 8.20.14 Reply
  7. It gives such a pretty effect on the cheeks – let me know if you try it out!

Posted 8.20.14 Reply
  8. I have no idea if that's what it's actually called, but if not, well then I own it! Ha. 🙂

Posted 8.20.14 Reply
  9. I just tried doing this too! I recently got a new blush color and I like the little 'pop' it adds to your cheeks. Fun!

Posted 8.20.14 Reply
  10. I never even realized this was a thing but it totally makes sense! I'll sometimes layer my cream blush with a powder but have never thought to use two powders. Exposed looks so pretty!

Posted 8.20.14 Reply
  11. Aimee Rose wrote:

I love anything ombre, but I've never tried it with my blush – now I will have to!

Posted 8.20.14 Reply

I had no idea there was an ombre blush effect! I've never tried using two blushes before, usually I just use a blush and a highlighter together but I'm going to have to try this!

sequinsandseabreezes.blogspot.com

Posted 8.20.14 Reply

I didn't know it was called a ombre effect! I tend to use two blushes when I want it to stand out more 🙂 The tarte one is my favorite!

Posted 8.20.14 Reply

• It has been 84 years since it stopped raining in Wisconsin, so it seemed necessary to document the occasion. 💁🏼‍♀️ #thursdayvibes #loveloft