DIY Light Box Tutorial

With the number of comments and questions that I received about the light box that Ryan built for me a couple weeks ago, I thought it appropriate to get a tutorial up right away!

I originally wasn’t planning to post a tutorial for this project, so forgive me for the lack of step-by-step photos. Hopefully the photos that I do have will give you a good idea as to what the box should look like when complete.

Here’s what you’ll need:
Cardboard box – mine is 16″ x 12″ x 12″
Tissue paper
Poster board
Painter’s tape or any tape you have on hand
X acto knife
Utility lamp – I found these in the home improvement section at Wal-Mart for less than $6
100-megawatt daylight light bulb

1. Assemble the box. Then, draw a square on three sides of the box leaving 2″ around all sides from the edge of the box. Cut out each square.
2. Take the tissue paper, and cut pieces down to size to cover each square. The tissue should extend out a bit further than the square. Tape down the tissue paper to the box; make sure it’s taut with no wrinkles!
3. Lay the poster board against the back of the box so it curves down, covering the back and bottom of the box. Be careful not to put a crease in the board.
4. Clamp your utility light onto a ledge higher than your box, turn on the light, and ta-dah! Your light box is complete!

See, I wasn’t kidding when I told all of you how easy this project is! It’s amazing what such simple supplies can do for blog photos. I am still using the flash on my camera to enhance the brightness – the lighting in our rental home is not ideal – but adding two more utility lamps on either side of the box in the near future should help solve that problem.

Be sure to tag me on Instagram if you give this project a try. Happy picture-taking!

1. 10.9.14
    Nadia said:

Thanks for sharing!! I'm definitely considering making one of these as the days get shorter. This makes it so much easier and convenient to shoot photos for the blog!

2. 8.26.14

This looks awesome– thanks for the step by step instructions! Also, I am loving the new layout!

3. 8.26.14

Of course! Hope you find it helpful.

4. 8.25.14
    Rachael said:

Yey thanks for sharing!

5. 8.25.14

Thanks for posting–can't wait to create 1 of these in the next few weeks!

Tif @ Bright on a Budget

6. 8.25.14

Thanks, girly!

7. 8.25.14

The box currently is in a corner of our office, too – I'm hoping eventually to move it onto a table so I don't have to lay on the hardwood floor to take photos!

8. 8.25.14

So glad you liked it – hope it is of some use to you!

9. 8.25.14

Of course, lady!

10. 8.25.14

Glad to help!

11. 8.25.14

Thanks, girl – hope you had a good one, too!

12. 8.25.14

Fabulous! Hope it's helpful.

13. 8.25.14

Lol, right?! Thank god for Pinterest. ๐Ÿ™‚

14. 8.25.14

Any product photos that have been on here the past week or so have been in the light box … hopefully you can tell a difference!

15. 8.25.14
    emi said:

love it, i'm impressed! your photos will look even better !!!

xo welltraveledwife.com

16. 8.25.14
    Becky M said:

Love that you shared this!! You're the best girly!!

17. 8.25.14

Great Idea! I have a little area set up on the floor of our office for my photos. It definitely does not look at neat as this though.

18. 8.25.14

THANK YOU! This is awesome!

19. 8.25.14
    Mia- MakeMeUpMia said:

Thank you for sharing!

20. 8.25.14
    Lisa C said:

Thanks for posting! Saving this for later.

21. 8.25.14

Thanks for sharing, that's awesome! Hope you had a great weekend!

22. 8.25.14

Definitely saving this! Going to give it a try once we move ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for sharing!!

23. 8.25.14
    Pamela said:

Ok, that's a genius idea. I always wondered how bloggers took pics of products against an all white clean background and now I know LOL!

sequinsandseabreezes.blogspot.com

24. 8.25.14
    Biana Perez said:

Such a great idea – can't wait to see the product pictures that you take using this!!