Freestyle Messy Bun Tutorial

Since the temperatures in the Midwest finally have caught up to my summer standards, I have been experimenting with new ways to put my hair up that are both easy and cute.

I threw my hair up in this messy bun the other day, and Ryan immediately commented on how good it looked and how much he liked it. Well, that then lead me to believe that it warranted a tutorial. This hairstyle works best (on me) with second-day hair with dry shampoo worked into it for texture and grip, and I imagine this would work best on shoulder-length hair or longer.

What you’ll need:
Hair tie
Teasing comb
Bobby pins
Hairspray

1. Brush through your hair to get rid of any knots. Be sure to part your hair where you want it, or brush it all back for a sleek look.
2. Pull your hair into a high pony tail, and pull tight.
3. For a softer look, pull out small pieces of hair around your face.
4. Tease the hair in your ponytail. If you’re like me and have a lot of hair, tease it in sections.
5. You should end up looking like a Dr. Seuss character by the time you’re done teasing.
6. Twist your hair straight up.
7. Keeping your hair in the twist, wrap it in a circle around the hair tie to create a bun.
8. Start securing your bun with bobby pins. The wide-set pins work best in my hair when I’m trying to pin a lot at once, so use whichever style best suits your hair.

You should be left with a style that looks similar to this!

If you give this hairstyle a try, please tag me on Instagram and use hashtag #mitmbeauty.

1. This looks great! Your hair is so pretty and shiny!

Posted 10.9.14 Reply
  2. I hope it helps her out!

3. The Adored Life wrote:

That is such a cute style! I am sending this to a friend who has kind of thin hair. She would love this!

Posted 7.21.14 Reply
  4. I used to have the same issue until I tried teasing my hair first – that worked wonders! Also, hairspray is a necessity – I should have mentioned that in the post. 🙂

Posted 7.21.14 Reply
  5. You could still give it a shot with shorter hair! You may just have to pin more up in the back.

Posted 7.21.14 Reply
  6. Right?! I feel like the messy bun is the perfect summer hairdo with a bit of ballerina vibe thrown in. And, lol to my teased hair – Ryan said I looked like a Dr. Seuss character.

Posted 7.21.14 Reply
  7. Exactly – sometimes, the classic ponytail just isn't the look I'm going for.

8. Thanks, girl!

Posted 7.21.14 Reply
  9. Don't be jealous – I wish I had less hair most days! Let me know how it turns out if you give it a try. 🙂

10. Thank you!

11. Thanks, lady! xo

Posted 7.21.14 Reply
  12. Try teasing your hair first! Honestly, that did wonders for me. I think you could pull it off. 🙂

13. Britt @Perpetually Daydreaming wrote:

Looks great girl! I can never get mine to look right and my straight hair ends up poking out all over the place. I will have to try the teasing method though! Thanks for sharing 🙂

14. Becky M wrote:

This is so cute! I loved this tutorial! And it looks easy enough for me to do :)!

15. jillian wrote:

love this!! now i wish my hair was a little longer… xo jillian – stop by cornflake dreams, I'm hosting a giveaway!

Posted 7.21.14 Reply
  16. This is a super cute look! It's nice to have another go-to style other than the ponytail!

Posted 7.21.14 Reply

I LOVE a messy bun, so much! It looks so cute on you, rocking it. I love the pic with your hair all on top lol

18. Aimee Rose wrote:

Love this look, and super jealous that you have so much hair! I'm definitely giving this a try!

Very cute look on you!

Posted 7.21.14 Reply

You did such a great job! Love the tutorial!

Posted 7.21.14 Reply

I'm so jealous of your hair! It's so thick and shiny and pretty! I don't think my bun would turn out quite like this… I think I need to cut my hair LOL!

sequinsandseabreezes.blogspot.com

Posted 7.21.14 Reply

• It has been 84 years since it stopped raining in Wisconsin, so it seemed necessary to document the occasion. 💁🏼‍♀️ #thursdayvibes #loveloft