Because I’m Preppy

I’ve gone through many phases in my life in terms of fashion. When I was a freshman in high school, I was all about  the rock ‘n’ roll – aka band tees and frayed-bottom jeans. Yeah, it wasn’t a good look. From there, I developed a deep love of pheasant tops and gauzy skirts in order to channel my inner flower child – I was and always will be fascinated by the 60s – and eventually, I discovered my preppy side, which has stuck ever since.

I always have been a bit preppy – in my attitude, too, as some would argue – and I fully embrace that now when it comes to my wardrobe. Most of my pieces are classic in style and silhouette and easily can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion.

I know big pearl studs are probably so 2000, but they instantly make me feel like a lady and bring a little class to whatever outfit I am wearing. Also, can we discuss my new infinite love for all things cat eye? I’ve had these sunnies in my collection for a couple years, and I put them in my regular rotation of glasses right after we shot this look. Now, if only I could master the art of the liquid eyeliner cat eye … maybe another day.

jean jacket | Elle, Kohl’s (exact)
striped tank | Apt. 9, Kohl’s (exact)
shorts | Banana Republic Factory (similar)
ankle-strap wedges | Old Navy (exact)
sunnies | Target (exact)
pearl studs | old
bracelet | American Eagle (old)
boyfriend watch | Fossil (exact)

P.S. If you want to know how I did my hair in these photos, check out yesterday’s tutorial.

1. Natalia wrote:

Oh my word, how cute are you?! So glad to have found your blog through Biana. Love those sunglasses, lady!

Posted 10.9.14 Reply
  2. You are too sweet – I absolutely loved getting to know you over on Biana's blog today! 🙂

Posted 7.23.14 Reply
  3. I have SO been wanting a denim vest, too!

Posted 7.23.14 Reply
  4. Right?! I'm so glad I decided to buy a jean jacket this season – we've definitely needed it around here!

Posted 7.23.14 Reply
  5. Thank you! xo

Posted 7.23.14 Reply
  6. Megan Klingler wrote:

I'm ALL about the jean jacket/vest look this summer! Unfortunately where I live it's too hot to wear a jacket so I've been living in my vest! Those hells there! Love love love!

Posted 7.23.14 Reply
  7. Maya McDonald wrote:

I have been living in my jean jacket this summer with the crazy Midwest weather we're having! Love how you paired it with those cute shorts! xx

Posted 7.23.14 Reply
  8. Raquel wrote:

Such a cute outfit! Love the jewelry too!

Posted 7.22.14 Reply
  9. I do believe that pearls always are in style, no matter in what form!

Posted 7.22.14 Reply
  10. I have them in nude, too, and they really are the most comfortable sandals/wedges ever. I've gotten a lot of use out of them this summer!

Posted 7.22.14 Reply
  11. Yes! They definitely are not too severe, which is why I think they are flattering. They would look fabulous on you. 🙂

12. Britt @Perpetually Daydreaming wrote:

Cute sunnies! And if I could wear earrings, I would be rocking some pearl studs too. I think they are pretty classic.

Posted 7.22.14 Reply
  13. beautiful pictures girl! I love those wedges and they are on sale!

Posted 7.22.14 Reply
  14. I love those sunglasses! I've been looking for a cat eye pair that isn't *too* cat eye! Target, here I come!

Posted 7.22.14 Reply
  15. You're too sweet, thank you! Considering I felt like I was having a "fat day" when we photographed this look, I appreciate the kind words about my cheekbones. Lol 🙂

16. Thanks, lady! xo

Posted 7.22.14 Reply
  17. Right?! I feel the same way about shorts. That's why I love Banana Republic's shorts because they always keep 'em at a classy length.

Posted 7.22.14 Reply
  18. I actually think I just saw those in a magazine or on Pinterest and immediately fell in love. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for them!

19. Thank you!

Posted 7.22.14 Reply
  20. I can't believe I hadn't been wearing those sunnies more often – love them! And, yes – you need a jean jacket. It's the most versatile piece in my closet at the moment.

Posted 7.22.14 Reply
  21. It's so fun to watch how our personal style evolves!

Posted 7.22.14 Reply
  22. Thanks, girl! I have those wedges in nude, too – they are so comfortable.

23. Aimee Rose wrote:

I think pearl studs will always be in style, they are so classic! Love this look, I would totally wear it, and it looks great with your messy bun – having your hair pulled up like that really highlights your cheek bones!

Posted 7.22.14 Reply

I love me some pearls too, for the same reason! You look fabulous 😉

25. Caitlin S. wrote:

I've been loving pairing a jean jacket with outfits on cooler days or evenings. Those shorts are great too, I feel like it's always hard to find the right length because they are either extremely short or awkwardly long. Those look great!

26. The Adored Life wrote:

Pearl studs are super back in! Target and Bauble Bar have these darling double backed pearl earrings that I think you would love!

Posted 7.22.14 Reply

One of my favorite looks for you so far! Very cute, very preppy!

Posted 7.22.14 Reply
  28. I need to add a jean jacket to my wardrobe– soo versatile! I love those sunglasses too! A trip to Target might be in my near future 🙂

Posted 7.22.14 Reply

Super cute look and that jean jacket is perfect!! I'm the same way – I was a little bit country, a little bit preppy and a little sassy all through the years!!

Posted 7.22.14 Reply

LOVE your sunnies and wedges! Perfect for summer! Such a cute preppy look!

sequinsandseabreezes.blogspot.com