Spinach & Ricotta-Stuffed Shells

As you may have figured out by now, I love myself a hearty plate of pasta. It’s been my favorite food ever since I can remember, and that love only has increased with age as I’ve figured out how to cook different variations of pasta.

Luckily, Ryan now also enjoys pasta (that always wasn’t the case), but he prefers that the pasta have a bit more substance, such as adding a cheese filling, veggies, meat, etc. When I came across this recipe in my Real Simple magazine, I knew it would be a good compromise for us both – I get to have pasta while Ryan gets his cheese and spinach. #winning

If you’ve never made stuffed shells before, don’t be intimidated like I was. Is it tedious? Yes. But difficult? No. Getting a good grip on the shells after you’ve rinsed them in the strainer is the trickiest part – once you’ve got that down, you’re golden.

Original recipe from Real Simple

Ingredients:
20 jumbo pasta shells (about half a 12-ounce box)
1 24-ounce jar marinara sauce
2 15-ounce containers ricotta
2 cups baby spinach, chopped
1/2 cup grated Parmesan (2 ounces)
kosher salt and black pepper
1/2 cup grated mozzarella (4 ounces)

Directions:
1. Set an oven rack to the highest position and heat oven to 400° F. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain
and run under cold water to cool.

2. Spread the marinara sauce in the bottom of a large broilerproof baking dish.

3. In a bowl, combine the ricotta, spinach, Parmesan, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Spoon the mixture into the shells
and place them on top of the sauce.

4. Sprinkle the shells with the mozzarella and bake until heated through, 10 to 12 minutes.

5. Increase heat to broil. Broil the shells until cheese begins to brown, 2 to 5 minutes.

1. Helene wrote:

mmm, now I'm hungry! these look incredible!

Posted 10.9.14 Reply
  2. Aimee Rose wrote:

Looks delicious!

Posted 6.25.14 Reply
  3. Britt @Perpetually Daydreaming wrote:

Yum! Can you believe I've never made stuffed shells. They look easier than lasagna, so I'm going to have to give this a try! Thanks for sharing 🙂

Posted 6.24.14 Reply
  4. It's definitely a keeper in my recipe book!

5. Yes! You'll have to let me know how yours turn out. 🙂

Posted 6.24.14 Reply
  6. They are simply delicious!

Posted 6.24.14 Reply
  7. Oh, good call on the mushrooms – I'll have to try that on the next go around.

8. Right?! I do, too. 🙂

Posted 6.24.14 Reply
  9. I'm hungry too just looking at it and remembering how good they were!

Posted 6.24.14 Reply
  10. They are so delicious!

Posted 6.24.14 Reply

My mum used to make these all the time when I was growing up – I'll definitely be adding this to the recipe rotation!

Posted 6.24.14 Reply

I love stuffed shells and spinach, yummy 🙂 I wish I had a plate now!

Posted 6.24.14 Reply
  13. This is one of our go to recipes! We add mushroom in there, too – so delish!

Posted 6.24.14 Reply

I love stuffed shells! Gonna have to try these soon! So yummy!

sequinsandseabreezes.blogspot.com

Posted 6.24.14 Reply

Stuffed shells are on my to-make list!!! thanks for sharing the recipe – looks delicious!

16. carly wrote:

I've never tried stuffed shells, but these look delicious!!

• Today was a good day to have a great day. ☀️ #happy #thursdaythoughts