Tomato Mozzarella Caprese Panini

As the weather continues to warm up here in the Midwest, I have been switching up my cooking from casseroles and slow cooker meals to lighter dishes that include fresh (and healthy!) ingredients.

The Tomato Mozzarella Caprese Panini is a gem that I came up with a few weeks ago when I was craving a Mediterranean-style meal.

Ryan was convinced that when I insisted that we register for a panini maker, we were never going to use it. I am proud to say that I have proven him wrong, and this sandwich, in my opinion, was taken to another level of delish because of said panini maker. Don’t worry – if you don’t have a panini maker, you can definitely still achieve the same effect by simply popping the sandwich in the microwave for 30 seconds!

I know that I will be making this sandwich all summer long, and with a side of fruit and a glass of milk, it is my new favorite go-to feel-good meal. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
1 loaf of french bread
1 large tomato
1 package of fresh mozzarella
2 tbsp of olive oil
Garlic salt to taste

Directions:
1. Turn on your panini maker to allow it to heat up. Meanwhile, cut two slices of french bread, one slice of tomato, and one slice of mozzarella.

2. Pour the olive oil onto a small plate. Dip one side of the bread into the oil; repeat with the other slice of bread.

3. Sprinkle the desired amount of garlic salt onto the oiled side of the bread slices, and then stack the tomato and mozzarella onto one of the slices of bread. Top with the other slice of bread (oil side down).

4. Place the sandwich on your panini maker, and cook for approximately 2-3 minutes.

5. Remove the sandwich from the panini maker. Cut the sandwich in half, and serve with a side of fruit.

1. carly wrote:

I LOVE panini's so much! But I'm not a tomato fan and I'm supposed to be on a low dairy diet so no cheese for me, though I am craving some mozzarella after your pictures 🙂

Posted 5.19.14 Reply
  2. emi wrote:

yummiest–nothing better than this combo! Xo

welltraveledwife.com

Posted 5.19.14 Reply
  3. Julie Joy wrote:

Yummmmmmoooo!!!! Now I wish I could have that for lunch today! Haha 🙂
    justjuliejoy.blogspot.com

Posted 5.14.14 Reply
  4. I have been on a panini kick lately – you should definitely try this out if you love caprese! Maybe even add some fresh basil.

Posted 5.14.14 Reply
  5. Hope you give it a try another day!

Posted 5.14.14 Reply
  6. Pesto is the ultimate condiment – I use it on almost everything, too! And, we had a great visit to Schaumburg, thanks!

Posted 5.14.14 Reply
  7. Exactly! This will definitely be a staple for me on Ryan's work nights.

Posted 5.14.14 Reply
  8. I can't imagine it's too high in the calorie department … it's all fresh ingredients. 🙂

Posted 5.14.14 Reply
  9. Lol, I'm sorry I posted probably the worst possible recipe for you and your diet!

Posted 5.14.14 Reply
  10. Oooh, prosciutto! I bet that tastes delicious on this sandwich. I definitely will give it a try!

Posted 5.14.14 Reply
  11. We make this exact sandwich but I can't believe I've never thought to warm it up!! Genius! Have you ever had prosciutto? If you add a slice or two to this it takes it to another level – so good!

Posted 5.13.14 Reply
  12. Julie wrote:

Yummmm…you had me at that oozing mozzarella!! Looks divine and dare I say, low in calories?? At least I'll pretend it is with all that tomato ;D

xo-Julie

Peace. Love. LOL!

Haute Khuuture Blog

Posted 5.13.14 Reply

Oh my yum, what a perfect summer weeknight meal!

Posted 5.13.14 Reply

I haven't made a panini in the longest time but caprese is one of my all time favorites!!

Posted 5.13.14 Reply
  15. Aimee Rose wrote:

This is one of my favorite sandwiches, I like to spread pesto on the bread for a little added flavor, so good! Hope you had a good trip to Schaumburg!

Posted 5.13.14 Reply
  16. Abby wrote:

that panini looks so good! Wish I had that for lunch today!

Abby